Cypress 2022

March 8, 2022, 12:29 p.m.

I haven't ridden Cypress since last summer, sounds like I'm in for a shock. Never saw more than a few other people on my rides there.

My parents are planning to visit from Holland this spring and my mom sent me a picture of that new "trestle bridge" a while ago saying she wants to go there. That was the first time I heard about it.

March 8, 2022, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

It's all over social media as a "look I took a photo!" ....hotspot

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west-vancouver-british-properties-mountain-path-trestle-bridge

https://www.urbanyvr.com/west-vancouver-trestle-bridge/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaabkRyPnIg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Instagram has done this to most spots. They become a must-do photo destination.

I hate Instagram.

March 8, 2022, 1:20 p.m.

sheeple...

March 8, 2022, 1:52 p.m.

Lets hope the instagrammers don't discover the MD walk/ride loop. Take my kid on there and never see anyone.

March 10, 2022, 9:40 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Where were all these people before they built that parking lot? Did the lower mountain not merit a visit before recently? I saw more people there on Sunday on Eagle Lake Rd and the BLT than I had in the previous ten years combined. It's weird that it has suddenly become a destination.

Same people/situation as when the Fromme lot went in. People wandering aimlessly on Mountain Highway and bike trails, despite there being no views and minimal interesting hiking.

March 10, 2022, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Where were all these people before they built that parking lot? Did the lower mountain not merit a visit before recently? I saw more people there on Sunday on Eagle Lake Rd and the BLT than I had in the previous ten years combined. It's weird that it has suddenly become a destination.

Same people/situation as when the Fromme lot went in. People wandering aimlessly on Mountain Highway and bike trails, despite there being no views and minimal interesting hiking.

It's amazing how clueless people are. I ask those people how they came to be here and they just shrug "because there's a parking lot". They needed to be led by the nose/Instagram right up to a thing to even consider it worthwhile. They never consider that this place was awesome all by itself and how did the people who were already there come to find it?  Now those of us who could sniff out new spots are on the hunt again. The only problem is that riding spots take a long time to mature.

March 10, 2022, 2:47 p.m.

Well there is the Cedartree trail off kirkford but that's about it. Amazing how many people way off course have asked me how to get to it.

March 10, 2022, 5:25 p.m.

It's amazing how clueless people are. I ask those people how they came to be here and they just shrug "because there's a parking lot". They needed to be led by the nose/Instagram right up to a thing to even consider it worthwhile. They never consider that this place was awesome all by itself and how did the people who were already there come to find it? Now those of us who could sniff out new spots are on the hunt again. The only problem is that riding spots take a long time to mature.

I think it's the time of year. Still snow pretty low, so hikers are forced to the bottom of the mountains. Should calm down in a month or so when the hikes with views are clear again. Also they have to pay for parking in Lynn Canyon now so that might be a factor too. 

Does feel like there are more hikers parking than I remember previously though.

Last edited by: vantanclub on March 10, 2022, 5:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 11, 2022, 10:15 a.m.

I've noticed that the parking lots are way quieter with the high price of gas...  if we could only toll the bridges.

March 12, 2022, 7:42 a.m.

Here's the thing. Look where we live, the most densely populated place in British Columbia and mountain biking is getting really popular, I agree instagram is the worst. But it's bound to happen. Look what happened to Fromme when the parking lot went in. "Oh I don't have to pedal my fat ass 200m extra?"

Anything that's easy to access and close to home is going to get busy. Hence why I actually love having my weekend mid week.

March 12, 2022, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: seanluge

Here's the thing. Look where we live, the most densely populated place in British Columbia and mountain biking is getting really popular, I agree instagram is the worst. But it's bound to happen. Look what happened to Fromme when the parking lot went in. "Oh I don't have to pedal my fat ass 200m extra?"

Anything that's easy to access and close to home is going to get busy. Hence why I actually love having my weekend mid week.

Couldn't agree more about the parking lot. I knew when it went in that it was the end.....now everyone will show up to walk, roam, ride or whatever since the access is now that much easier. Had they not built it I don't think it would be the gong show it is today. I don't even bother trying to park there (done it once). And the days of "a well kept secret" are long gone. Quarry Rock.....where is it? I recall about a month ago it was the first really nice day out in a long time and I went to Seymour and the amount of people out was insane. I can recall when no one was out on even the best days.......long gone.

Last edited by: Polymath on March 13, 2022, 8:48 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 14, 2022, 12:35 a.m.

Anything that improve access dooms the spot. 

Parking lots

Ebikes

Logging roads

Gentle climbs

They’re all the same. Make it easier for people who otherwise wouldn’t put the effort out and you’ll end up wrecking it all.

March 14, 2022, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: seanluge

It's remarkable. That last 200m of Mtn Highway leading to the lower yellow gate was so uncomfortable it literally kept the bridge and tunnel folks out. I wasn't crazy about it either obviously but it was just what you had to do to get up there.

March 14, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

It's remarkable. That last 200m of Mtn Highway leading to the lower yellow gate was so uncomfortable it literally kept the bridge and tunnel folks out. I wasn't crazy about it either obviously but it was just what you had to do to get up there.

I haven't ridden that stretch of Mtn Hwy for many years, always take the nice climbing trail from Mountain View Park.

March 14, 2022, 8:30 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I haven't ridden that stretch of Mtn Hwy for many years, always take the nice climbing trail from Mountain View Park.

^This^