Cypress 2022

Feb. 21, 2022, 2:55 p.m.

Wow it's a new day on Cypress. The brewery thing at the bottom is cool I guess but it's already crazy busy, busier than I have seen it there in years. So they carved a huge graded gravel path for people to walk on. Not sure what's so special about this but people have come. They have not signed any of the mountain bike trails like Sexit or lower Roach Hit so expect to see lots of families/kids/dogs scrambling up the trail when you are descending. 

I guess I should be thankful to have a spot that good pretty much to myself every time I've been in the last 10+ years and from now on I'll have to be a lot more conscious of the time.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 21, 2022, 5:28 p.m.

Posted by: craw

So they carved a huge graded gravel path for people to walk on. Not sure what's so special about this but people have come.

It's actually a great climb route now. The walkers are there because there is a great views on one of the bridges. Although at this point the trail isn't that long. 

Props to the pizza business at the bottom, talk about a perfect location.

Feb. 21, 2022, 5:31 p.m.

That does seem precarious. Who's taking charge of those particular trails? As long as Jersey and Meat Sweats stays G2G I'm satisfied.

Feb. 21, 2022, 7:37 p.m.

They have not signed any of the mountain bike trails like Sexit or lower Roach Hit so expect to see lots of families/kids/dogs scrambling up the trail when you are descending. 

Lol, yeah. My other half (who isn't a mountain biker) was  hiking up there with our dog last weekend and excitedly told me she'd found some secret mountain bike trails...

Feb. 22, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

That does seem precarious. Who's taking charge of those particular trails? As long as Jersey and Meat Sweats stays G2G I'm satisfied.

There's no pizza place at the 2nd or 4th switchback so we're probably good.

Who is minding the signage indeed? Obviously whoever built the pop-up brewery/pizzeria and cut the road isn't concerned about mountain bikers and we are all accepting that this zone will never be the same. The trails were always tolerated rather than encouraged so I'm not expecting much stewardship from these people. They are preparing the lower mountain for major development. Mountain biking is totally incidental to that.

Last edited by: craw on Feb. 22, 2022, 7:49 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 24, 2022, 4:05 p.m.

Indeed

The new parking lots at the first switchback and the eastern end of the Trellis bridge walk are usually full. On a beauty day everything between those locations is packed with people walking. Most would say that this is great. It presents some issues to our community, but its the new reality and we will have to work with it.

I havent been to the brewery yet but I do look forward to it. Ive walked by often and wanted to go in - just didnt work out.

So, there are some good and bad developments:

The Good: that brewery. The tools and bike wash sponsored by North (thanks Kevin). The new path isnt a bad climbing route.

The Bad: people are exploring from the path into the trails on foot. There was a family sitting on the metal bridge Roach Hit/Wutang exit last time I went through there. We have a plan for this but this is just a glimpse of what's to come. Itll be even more popular in the summer. They're going to cut another multiuse path like the one thats currently packed on a beauty day, and its going to use a bunch of the same lines that trails use above 1200ft. So the carnage wont be isolated to the lower trails. SOB/SexGirl/PullTab plus some others will see change too.

Last edited by: Ddean on Feb. 24, 2022, 4:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 25, 2022, 7:32 a.m.

Who doesn't love a brewery and a wash station. These are amazing developments.

Does anyone know where that new walking path will go? On Trailforks it looks like it's going to intersect with Fern Trail which is also not very steep. That will make for a much friendlier climb up to the BLT.

I really hope the folks cutting these walking paths have a plan for explicitly clear signage before someone gets hurt.

March 5, 2022, 8:24 a.m.

Here is the overlaw between TF and the DWV/BPP proposal. Its sloppy but you can see where I have circled the areas in red where the new multiuse path will conflict with existing trails. Ive had multiple conversations with planning; they are being great, listening and considering all feedback but at the end of the day their goal is to have more people able to venture up from the village at the 1st up to the great trail at the top, and they have concerns that the existing path up BLT or using the upper mountain path to Fern to BLT is not usable for many. I have been unable to change that perception. The proposed route up the mountain takes advantage of shallower terrain, which, not surprisingly, overlaps with various segments of existing bike trails.

My goto favorite, the middle of the old Sex Girl line between where its closest to BLT and above Fern looks like itll be done.

SOB is probably done

The top of Lower Tall cans is going to be a mess.

The new path is going to interfere with Pull Tab in a few places and take out some other stuff in that area

I have been grinning and baring the concept of losing everything around the 1st under the belief that trails above 1200ft, which is the line above which no development can happen, would be protected. Seems that this is going to be death by 1000 cuts.

Last edited by: Ddean on March 5, 2022, 8:33 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 5, 2022, 1:56 p.m.

Hello! Super random I know. :P

My names Kyle, I'm coming out to BC for the first time in a few weeks, from the 18th-28th, I'm looking for locals to ride and shuttle with as I don't really know many people in the area. I'd be more than happy to chip in gas money of course too if so and assist in driving if need be. :)

I currently only have a DH bike, but I love the gnar. :D

I drive to Québec every weekend to ride DH during the season. I LOVE the gnar :D

ps. I only have a DH bike. So it doesn't pedal well :P.

Let me know if anyone has extra room for another shuttle bum to ride with, and SHORE me around ;P

And again, I'm happy to pitch in gas money of course and drive if need be!

Insta: @Robbis.tv

PinkBike: Kyleluvsdh

Cheers everyone. :)

Last edited by: Kyleluvsdh on March 5, 2022, 3:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 6, 2022, 8:59 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Here is the overlaw between TF and the DWV/BPP proposal. Its sloppy but you can see where I have circled the areas in red where the new multiuse path will conflict with existing trails. Ive had multiple conversations with planning; they are being great, listening and considering all feedback but at the end of the day their goal is to have more people able to venture up from the village at the 1st up to the great trail at the top, and they have concerns that the existing path up BLT or using the upper mountain path to Fern to BLT is not usable for many. I have been unable to change that perception. The proposed route up the mountain takes advantage of shallower terrain, which, not surprisingly, overlaps with various segments of existing bike trails.

My goto favorite, the middle of the old Sex Girl line between where its closest to BLT and above Fern looks like itll be done.

SOB is probably done

The top of Lower Tall cans is going to be a mess.

The new path is going to interfere with Pull Tab in a few places and take out some other stuff in that area

I have been grinning and baring the concept of losing everything around the 1st under the belief that trails above 1200ft, which is the line above which no development can happen, would be protected. Seems that this is going to be death by 1000 cuts.

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the efforts to advocate with DWV. That’s a shame that some trails above 1200 ft will be lost. Please let us know what we as a community can do to support.

March 8, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

Where were all these people before they built that parking lot? Did the lower mountain not merit a visit before recently? I saw more people there on Sunday on Eagle Lake Rd and the BLT than I had in the previous ten years combined. It's weird that it has suddenly become a destination.

March 8, 2022, 11:45 a.m.

Cypress has been under threat of development for 15 years at least. Now it’s real.  

If you build it, they will come.

March 8, 2022, 11:47 a.m.

It's crazy to think 1 new trail, some beer, and a parking lot draws that many people so quickly. Every time I'm up there on a weekend I'm dumbfounded how many people are there.

March 8, 2022, 11:48 a.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaYW3yVJAvN/?utm_medium=copy_link

BPP - Keeping wild places wild.

March 8, 2022, noon

It's all over social media as a "look I took a photo!" ....hotspot

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west-vancouver-british-properties-mountain-path-trestle-bridge

https://www.urbanyvr.com/west-vancouver-trestle-bridge/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaabkRyPnIg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link