Cyclist shot during randonneur event

June 3, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

how so?

Well, the concept of a rural redneck half-drunk or more at 1am on a Saturday night making the decision to grab the rifle and "show dem dere fairies on bikes a little sumthin" isn't entirely without precedent.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 3, 2014, 8:11 a.m.

It could have been an urban redneck, jacked on espressos, pissed for miscalculating the distance between charging stations in their electric car, teaching dem der fairies on bikes a lil something

June 3, 2014, 8:22 a.m.

Could have … but based on the balance of probabilities, seems somewhat less likely.

June 3, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

It could have been an urban redneck, jacked on espressos, pissed for miscalculating the distance between charging stations in their electric car, teaching dem der fairies on bikes a lil something

Also could have been one of them urban rednecks that just finished his gun toting courses.

Pastor of Muppets

June 3, 2014, 8:50 a.m.

But then, we'd be in Texas …

June 3, 2014, 10:11 a.m.

i'm sure we've all had our close calls on bikes with folks who just can't seem to accept bikes on roads . assuming this is a " we don't want them types around these parts " thing , this act takes it way way beyond comprehension .

bring skinny tires and lycra to a place that just don't see too many strangers ridin' around in the wee hours and you've got a recipe for a tragedy . . . who ever would have thought ?

i wonder how the investigation is going ?

June 3, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

My buddy was doing the same event. Shooter apparently was hiding behind a concrete barrier by the side of the road. Took at least three shoots at the rider. When my friend road by they had the police tape up and there was blood all over the highway.

Guys elbow is totally shattered. Hopefully they can put it back together and he can be back on his bike in no time.

If this is true…..then this was no random drive by.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 3, 2014, 6:01 p.m.

i was reading on the randonneurs site that there was some drunken punk making a nuisance of himself outside some establishment in spences' bridge . . . got taken away in handcuffs .

obviously couldn't have been him because i think ( don't know for certain ) that he would have been in custody at the time , but i wonder if the two incidents could be related somehow .

June 3, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

Well, the concept of a rural redneck half-drunk or more at 1am on a Saturday night making the decision to grab the rifle and "show dem dere fairies on bikes a little sumthin" isn't entirely without precedent.

yea your right. in fact in happens so often i'd call it a common occurrence…

June 4, 2014, 1:09 a.m.

yea your right. in fact in happens so often i'd call it a common occurrence…

I wouldn't call it an experience that's common but it is one that's been experienced by more than a few of us while riding bikes.
I was shot at twice with pellet guns back in the late '80's right here in Vancouver and in broad daylight.

I also got shot at once in rural California while wearing a buckskin jacket.

But that's because I was walking down a deserted stretch of highway at 1am and one of the lunatic local poachers mistook me for a deer. :rolleyes:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 4, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

I wouldn't call it an experience that's common but it is one that's been experienced by more than a few of us while riding bikes.
I was shot at twice with pellet guns back in the late '80's right here in Vancouver and in broad daylight.

I also got shot at once in rural California while wearing a buckskin jacket.

But that's because I was walking down a deserted stretch of highway at 1am and one of the lunatic local poachers mistook me for a deer. :rolleyes:

Doubt it was a mistake in your case. All that tinfoil you have wrapped around your head makes for a way to inviting aiming point. You bent making target just makes it more sporting.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

June 4, 2014, 8:10 a.m.

had it been the early 80's and sask that might of been me with the pellet gun…those were rugged times..when i was 12 and shit…

June 4, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

http://tucsonvelo.com/news/cyclist-shot-along-rillito-river-path/19335

TEAM CRAFTY

June 4, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

holy shit …related incident ? i think so!

June 4, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

had it been the early 80's and sask that might of been me with the pellet gun…those were rugged times..when i was 12 and shit…

Hooligan.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk