cutties?

Nov. 5, 2008, 6:18 p.m.

what would I fix?

Eventually, you won't have any dirt left on your trail, it will all be in the bush beside the trail. You'll be left trying to cuttie rock bed and roots. Then what?

If it's your trail, then have at it. I just think it is important for people to understand the consequences of this type of riding if doing it in a public or volunteer maintained area. Hikers and other users can use this type of trail damage against riders, that's all.

No 'tude intended, just perspective…

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 6, 2008, 3:18 p.m.

I tried to follow Jd Swanguen down Crank it up this summer and when I was in the berm he was at the apex and would cuttie around the corner faster than I ever thought possible. All that was left of him after a few corners was a little tire mark that was about a 90 degree angle. Very impressive!

Swanguen is likely one of the top cornering riders there are…..hands down.

Nov. 7, 2008, 3:08 a.m.

Werd. I can nail right hand corners, but my left turns etc are sooo bad. But hey, it's all in the practice practice practice yo!:fro:

hmmm ya I noticed the same thing. I think it might be because everybody leads with a specific foot most of the time, and depending on which foot you have forward, and which direction your turn is. it would make sense that it is harder to push the bike out with your front foot, because it is so much more forward on the bike (more under the downtube), while your rear foot is in line with the chainstay and rear wheel, allowing for a better push? I hope this makes sense, cuz it makes sense to me.

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 7, 2008, 5:14 a.m.

Does anyone have video of the moto GP rider who drifts at 120 mph? Everyone keeps telling him it should be slower but he keeps beating them. Would love to see one of those clips. Does anyone know the guy's name?

You're thinking of the documentary called "faster", narrated by ewan macgregor.

The rider in question was Gary MCcoy. He won some important races, but in the end, his tail-happy riding style caused him more crashes and many broken bones.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyMhEgKXyM[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

Cool riding style, but consistency wins races, which is why the doctor was so successful, and later Nicky hayden.

One of these is not like the others.

Nov. 7, 2008, 9:05 a.m.

The rider in question was Gary MCcoy. He won some important races, but in the end, his tail-happy riding style caused him more crashes and many broken bones.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyMhEgKXyM[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

Insane clips…that guy is a lunatic with amazing handling skills. I can't believe he keeps it together through those corners. The guys behind him must've been pretty unnerved watching his tire smoke while trying to keep up. In one of the clips you can really see him either get on the front brake or significantly shift his weight forward 'cause his rear wheel lifts off the ground a few inches before going into the drift.

Nov. 8, 2008, 10:07 p.m.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=9bw5Ob_NgHo

:canada:

Nov. 9, 2008, 1:22 a.m.

any videos of cutties?? i'm not quite sure what it really is

Nov. 9, 2008, 6:06 a.m.

any videos of cutties?? i'm not quite sure what it really is

It's sort of like a powerslide on a bike. There is one from Wade Simmons on that Ritchie Schley Chronicles video that was posted a few days ago on the main page. Also check out video of DH races and you may see some.

Nov. 9, 2008, 11:03 a.m.

Sam Hill, Earthed 5.

First 40 seconds has a few variations. 2:16 has a big cuttie on a huge berm that will illustrate technique well for the sake of this conversation. (And demonstrate why trail builders wince!)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wZKFr3kNxlE

Note the different cornering techniques Same uses… all of them! Different corners call for different skill applications.

Enjoy!

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 9, 2008, 12:22 p.m.

the shot at 2:16 is a really good example of a cuttie, i always thought a cuttie was just coming into a corner later than you are supposed to and therefore your back wheel has to slide into place which is what usually causes roost

Nov. 9, 2008, 12:39 p.m.

I still don't get the point of flatland cutties..

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 11, 2008, 1:40 p.m.

Awesomeness, and fast cornering.

I mostly try them for awesomeness.

Nov. 11, 2008, 1:43 p.m.

Thinking of trail maintenance, I always wince when I see cutties

yep i'm getting old i guess. I grew up with the "ride, dont slide" motto as we tried to maintain our trail access in multi use areas. It's like we have already forgotten our past. Those who ignore history are destined to repeat those mistakes I guess.

edit:

And I'm not trying to be an old curmudgeon, obviously the odd cuttie isnt going to ruin a trail, but this "your trail, your rules" attitude is a little unnerving. Unless the trail is on your own private land, it is not your trail. When the general public sees trail damage they associate that damage with the user group, (mtbers, atv'ers etc) regardless of who built the trail. I've built many trails and met hikers on them who don't have a clue when or who (ie what user group) built the trail, but they are aware of trail damage, and that can come back to bite you in the ass like it did in the '90s. One person's gnar is another person's trail erosion.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 11, 2008, 2:41 p.m.

well the whole point of a cuttie is to go faster, not look cool

Nov. 11, 2008, 3:30 p.m.

well the whole point of a cuttie is to go faster, not look cool

Yes, but no.

If you get what I mean.

I ride Bikes