cutties?

Nov. 4, 2008, 9:51 p.m.

practice on snowy road, then move onto dirt,
make sure the snow isn't TOO deep, and is not melting.

Nov. 4, 2008, 10:18 p.m.

yelling cutties while doing the motion will also score you bonus points

BATTLECAT

Nov. 4, 2008, 11:12 p.m.

Here's how I do it.A dirt road is a must to start and or B-LINE even better ;-)

Its kind of a 3 moves all at the same time for me. Lets say you want to move the rear wheel to the left.

Move your butt to the left like you'd try to hit someone with it.
At the same time use your RIGHT leg to push your bike to the left.
Make sure you are standing up and in front of your seat.
Finally turn your shoulder to the RIGHT.Your bar will turn in the direction your want to put the bike in be careful not to loose it, you might need to do a little be of counter steering if you go too hard.

ASS : LEFT
RIGHT LEG : LEFT
SHOULDER : RIGHT

You need to do all of this at the same time , as quickly as possible with as much energy you can possibly put into it, it will eventually become more natural and effortless.:yinyang:

I find it easier to do with both feet level but at some point you wont even thing about it.

I dont see how could one see the damage of a cuttie on a trail, Im sure its not ideal for it but surely not as worse as a FULL-ON with the rear brake skid and probably even better than a noob braking hard IN the corner…:nerd:

I hope this help , oh yeah Ive never heard of the yelling part but Im sure it cant be bad for your style!

Nov. 5, 2008, 8:30 a.m.

I dont see how could one see the damage of a cuttie on a trail, Im sure its not ideal for it but surely not as worse as a FULL-ON with the rear brake skid and probably even better than a noob braking hard IN the corner…:nerd:

wishful thinking IMO.

a good cuttie will send dirt flying in the air. how this is possible without damaging the trail, i dunno? skidding or cutties, either way the trail surface is rapidly eroded as the top layers of soil are removed.

to think that cuttie is somehow less damaging to trails than skidding … wishful thinking. maybe if you're just learning cutties it doesn't do much, but once someone gets good at them you will see big roosts of dirt. that roosted dirt is not going to come back on the trail … it's gone forever.

i'm not against cutties, in fact i enjoy them far too much. but i realize that they do impact the trails and try to only do them where they will not impact things too much.

Nov. 5, 2008, 8:46 a.m.

I get what you mean Giggler,they're certainly not good for the trail,still I dont think a cuttie is worse than someone braking and drifting on the trail.I guess what Im trying to say is that I cant see how someone could be able to recognized the damage done to a trail from a cuttie versus a drift… Unless if you are a psychic I dont think you could tell the difference judging by the tire mark left on the trail.

Nov. 5, 2008, 8:46 a.m.

Thinking of trail maintenance, I always wince when I see cutties

im with you.

Nov. 5, 2008, 8:57 a.m.

I get what you mean Giggler,they're certainly not good for the trail,still I dont think a cuttie is worse than someone braking and drifting on the trail.I guess what Im trying to say is that I cant see how someone could be able to recognized the damage done to a trail from a cuttie versus a drift… Unless if you are a psychic I dont think you could tell the difference judging by the tire mark left on the trail.

well, now you're just confusing me. :)

but, i don't really think there is any point in trying to say which is more or less damaging to trails.

straight/normal skids, skid to drift and cutties will all harm the trail roughly the same IMO. i would say that the rider and speed they have is going to make as much of a difference as how exactly they slide the back tire.

and some pro racer throwing big cutties on every corner is going to be doing way more damage than some newb putting down the trail and doing a little skid here and there by accident.

Nov. 5, 2008, 9:03 a.m.

dam i thought the title was a typo and was supposed to say cuties.

but cutties sound crazy. i accidentally did a couple before going into a corner too fast and thought i was going to get tossed off. All i can say is…dang man that as scary why would you want to do that purposely! i guess when i get better at riding i might like them but for now i'll pass on them as it sucks to ride when you've wet your pants!!!!

Nov. 5, 2008, 9:39 a.m.

All good points Giggler. Well said.

The cuttie is not good for trails. It doesn't teach you proper cornering technique either, which is why Instructors cringe when people just want to cuttie all the time. What about the rest of the corners?

Drifting is cooler than skidding because your not using brakes. This takes much more skill and control (mentally too!) than just grabbing a handful of brake. Drifts are typically shorter burst but still do spray the dirt….

Good chat…

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 5, 2008, 10:43 a.m.

yelling cutties while doing the motion will also score you bonus points

what if I yell it and I don't cuttie? -500 points??

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Nov. 5, 2008, 11:12 a.m.

who the hell cares if it "disrupts the top layer of soil." I purposely built trail so it can be ripped apart with spikes. I'm not even being sarcastic. Call the cops.

Nov. 5, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

who the hell cares if it "disrupts the top layer of soil." I purposely built trail so it can be ripped apart with spikes. I'm not even being sarcastic. Call the cops.

Hey, if you keep it to your own trail, then what can be said? Have fun fixing your trail!

DB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 5, 2008, 12:30 p.m.

your trail, your rules

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/

Nov. 5, 2008, 3:54 p.m.

Hey, if you keep it to your own trail, then what can be said? Have fun fixing your trail!

DB

what would I fix?

Nov. 5, 2008, 4:07 p.m.

I tried to follow Jd Swanguen down Crank it up this summer and when I was in the berm he was at the apex and would cuttie around the corner faster than I ever thought possible. All that was left of him after a few corners was a little tire mark that was about a 90 degree angle. Very impressive!