cutties?

Nov. 4, 2008, 4:53 p.m.

berm busting, cutties.. whatever you call it. I know its a dark art in MTB but I am wondering how they are done? I have been trying to get the technique down but can't get the back of my bike into a drift.. little help?

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 4, 2008, 5:49 p.m.

use your legs, and obviously brakes are not aloud. i think the best way to describe it would be over-commiting into a turn so that your back end busts loose, and leaning a bit more into the corner than you would……CUTTIES

Nov. 4, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

Watch Dirt Magazine's Fundamental video, it is great for learning cutties…. it's the bright green one they released a couple of years back. Chris Powell's pumping section is great too!

Try shifting your weight slightly forward on your bike as you initiate the change in direction, which will unweight the rear wheel, allowing it to drift. It really doesn't take much to get that bad boy drifting. Shift your weight back to the rear wheel…. brrrap!

Now just choose your spots carefully so the trails don't suffer! NOTE: THIS IS NOT A SKID, so do NOT use your brakes! Big difference kids! Drifting is cool, skidding is for skids!

Parking lots and school yards are great places to practice!

Good luck!

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 4, 2008, 5:57 p.m.

ah im still working on mine.. I can do it good turning left but i can't do it that good turning right. gotta work on it. endless biking has good instructions. sometimes you can learn easier in loose gravel on pavement in my opinion, helps you drift and get the feel.

Nov. 4, 2008, 6:23 p.m.

dirt roads are fun to do it on too

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 4, 2008, 6:40 p.m.

take your inside foot off and afraid you will not be

Nov. 4, 2008, 6:48 p.m.

ah im still working on mine.. I can do it good turning left but i can't do it that good turning right. gotta work on it. endless biking has good instructions. sometimes you can learn easier in loose gravel on pavement in my opinion, helps you drift and get the feel.

Werd. I can nail right hand corners, but my left turns etc are sooo bad. But hey, it's all in the practice practice practice yo!:fro:

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Nov. 4, 2008, 6:49 p.m.

I have a problem of dropping my outside foot in most of my turns.. does it help to have level feet when you lean the bike?

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Nov. 4, 2008, 7:34 p.m.

I have a problem of dropping my outside foot in most of my turns.. does it help to have level feet when you lean the bike?

If you're taking your inside foot off as sgarstin suggests, you'll have to drop the outside pedal.

Foot position is a big can of worms… The way we see it, no 2 corners are the same, therefore different applications of skills are used in each.

Watch Earthed 5 and about 10 minutes in, there is a complete Sam Hill DH run and he uses every single corner technique in the book, from level pedals, outside foot down, and the cuttie all in one run.

Try all the variations and decide what works best for your corner.

DB@EB

Lessons, Rentals & Tours - since 2004

www.endlessbiking.com

Facebook Fan Page

Follow us on Twitter

Nov. 4, 2008, 7:40 p.m.

Thinking of trail maintenance, I always wince when I see cutties

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Nov. 4, 2008, 8:21 p.m.

dirt roads are fun to do it on too

but don't go over 30km/hr

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

Nov. 4, 2008, 8:23 p.m.

take your inside foot off and afraid you will not be

:lol:

I can sometimes do it when I'm forced to - because I've gone into a corner too fast and there are no other options. No way can I do it on demand. Does that still count as a cutty? I find riding in wet weather is a good way to practice because it doesn't take as much speed to get 'er going sideways. Loam is even better if you can find some. Such a great feeling when it works out. Basically that feeling is what I'm chasing much of the time.

If you watch the Richie Schley chronicles there's a great shot of Wade doing a Cutty following Richie. I haven't posted it on the front page yet - but it's here.

Does anyone have video of the moto GP rider who drifts at 120 mph? Everyone keeps telling him it should be slower but he keeps beating them. Would love to see one of those clips. Does anyone know the guy's name?

Nov. 4, 2008, 8:50 p.m.

if thats what you call a cuttie i love those things on tight little berms.

JDM POWER!

Nov. 4, 2008, 9:02 p.m.

Make sure you actually change direction and ideally you should spray the guy next to you with dirt/rocks/sand in the process….

Nov. 4, 2008, 9:27 p.m.

I remember when the snow was melting, the dirt in my neighbors driveway showed up and we did cutties in the same spot all day long haha. eventually, there was a big trench berm and you naturally drifted. so much fun

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com
http://www.motionmtb.com/