Cumberland

May 26, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

Rode there last weekend. Got a map from DCC and some great advise on trails to hit. One thing that was mentioned is that certain areas that might be open on the weekend might be off limits with logging through the week. Riding Fool might be able to provide some further guidance on that.

Had not been there in a while, fantastic trails, got to get there more often. I was going to ride Forbidden, but opted for Cumberland instead.

FWIW I was advised on cougar sightings in the Forbidden area, so ride with someone if possible and key alert.

Have fun, so much great riding in the area.

May 26, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

IMO the trail you can't miss on the Cumberland side is Queso Grande. Do Furtherburger to Wookie to Queso Grande for an awesome ride!

This. Queso is super fun.

Jon-boy.

May 27, 2016, 11:33 a.m.

Might give DCC a call from the ferry Sunday and see if I can knock off work early enough to stop in Monday night.

Plan is to hit Queso on Sunday. Is it worth it to go all the way up to Furtherburger then through Wookie Toothpicks to Queso? Trailforks has an early April report saying Wookie is in poor condition due to logging activity.

Plan for weeknights is Blockhead/Numbskulls/DCDH one night, Thirsty Beaver/Truffle/Vanilla/Dam Trail another and Bucket of Blood/Bear Buns/Broadway/Buggered last night. These might be a bit ambitious but weather is looking awesome for it.

May 27, 2016, 11:36 a.m.

Talk to DCC as they'll be in the best position to know, but I'm not sure if they're open on Sundays right now. They've got a Facebook page though.

And depending on your fitness you could combine a couple of your days into one 3 hour-ish ride.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

May 29, 2016, 7:35 a.m.

Heading to Cumby Friday, for the weekend. Awesome trails, Cumby vibes and loads of beer at the Wave. Just sayin'. :dizzy:

May 29, 2016, 11:01 p.m.

Might give DCC a call from the ferry Sunday and see if I can knock off work early enough to stop in Monday night.

Plan is to hit Queso on Sunday. Is it worth it to go all the way up to Furtherburger then through Wookie Toothpicks to Queso? Trailforks has an early April report saying Wookie is in poor condition due to logging activity.

Plan for weeknights is Blockhead/Numbskulls/DCDH one night, Thirsty Beaver/Truffle/Vanilla/Dam Trail another and Bucket of Blood/Bear Buns/Broadway/Buggered last night. These might be a bit ambitious but weather is looking awesome for it.

Alternative to Wookie--Blockhead, hang a left on Cupcake, then access road up to Queso. Blockhead is a sweet, sweet line when it hits the trees. Loosie goosie in the clearcut in the dry :-)

May 30, 2016, 10:30 a.m.

OP what did you end up riding? I'm heading over Sunday afternoon but won't make it before DCC closes. Going to ride weeknights Mon-Wed as well. Are there maps/advice at Riding Fool? IF not I'll plan some loops on Trailforks. Might do one night at Forbidden as well.
cheers

Thought I had responded, but must have been deleted. We rode a ton over the weekend in most of the areas. We didn't make it out to Queso despite the recommendations due to issues getting round some active logging work.

Trailforks is your friend - while there is clearly a ton of work put into the trails, some of the signage is a little hard to follow if you aren't familiar with the area and a bunch of the trails don't have signs but have other markers. Get a map from DCC and make sure Trailforks is downloaded - there isn't a ton of cell coverage in the area.

We couldn't make it into DCC before we rode Saturday (wasn't open yet) but the locals were really helpful in pointing us in the right direction. Everyone was super friendly.

The riding was a ton of fun and the trails were in great shape - we had a blast.

May 30, 2016, 10:33 a.m.

As I mentioned, we didn't manage Queso but rode those other loops and had a ton of fun.

May 30, 2016, 1:59 p.m.

Yesterday ended up being a bit of a bigger ride than planned. I climbed up to Furtherburger using logging roads (and a push up the end of Bucket of Blood), felt like a reasonably direct route but there might be a better way. Rode Furtherburger -[HTML_REMOVED] Wookie -[HTML_REMOVED] Queso.

Furtherburger was super fun flowy single track through tight woods with some fun root drops. Bit damp/soft in spots but not muddy. The first part of Wookie Toothpicks was definitely a black level climb. I ended up pushing my bike as I suck at technical climbs and my "trail bike" is a 35lbs Trek Scratch with a 180mm Fox 36. Second part of the trail was more fun single track with a high speed cutblock exit. Trail is in fine shape.

Queso was another push for the first section to the top, competent rider could climb it for sure. It was a bit tricky finding the trail as recent road building debris obscures the way up from the road: look for orange flagging tape. Awesome views at the top and fun rock/clay tech stuff to start. There's a bunch of uphills throughout the descent but overall it's a blast - almost 6km of rooty singletrack with some rock sections and a few short bridges. Great view of Comox Lake toward the bottom.

Gonna head back tonight for more. What was really cool is how many people were out riding, the parking lot was full at 4pm with lots of friendly folks. I'll echo the comments about having Trailforks downloaded, extremely helpful for navigating. Will stop in at DCC for a chat and map if I can make it before they close one afternoon.

May 30, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

Where is a good place to stay in the Cumberland area? We are headed there for a week at the end of August. Planning to camp. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

May 31, 2016, 6:17 a.m.

Where is a good place to stay in the Cumberland area? We are headed there for a week at the end of August. Planning to camp. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

http://www.cumberlandlakepark.ca/

May 31, 2016, 1:15 p.m.

http://www.cumberlandlakepark.ca/

Great thanks.

June 6, 2016, 12:06 p.m.

Got in another two after work rides last week, 2ish hours car to car (did I mention I'm a slow climber).

Bucket of Blood from the pond start -[HTML_REMOVED] climb back up -[HTML_REMOVED] Bear Buns -[HTML_REMOVED] Broadway -[HTML_REMOVED] Buggered Pig -[HTML_REMOVED] Mama Bear. Bucket of Blood has some fun rock rolls and root sections before it turns into a high speed cut block with some gaps, reminded me of Mach Chicken. Bear Buns had a bunch of recent work, more fun flowy single track in and out of the tree line. Broadway, high speed jumps/gaps. Buggered Pig fun low consequence wood work XC trail.

By far the best day of riding was climbing up and doing Blockhead -[HTML_REMOVED] Numbskulls -[HTML_REMOVED] DCDH. Wow, amazing terrain and trail building on these. Nice variety from fast berms, rock rolls, roots and fall line chutes. I'd say these 3 are must-rides in Cumberland. Very long feeling descent too without any climbing once you start other than a short push up to the start of DCDH.