Council Workshop-Seymour Trails Strategic Plan

Dec. 9, 2020, 12:13 p.m.

Apparently next week's DNV Council workshop will be discussing the Seymour Trails Strategic plan (https://app.dnv.org/councilsearchnew/), and will be a good opportunity for trail users and residents to provide feedback on the current trail network and the desired trail network. Here is a link to the DNV notice; file:///C:/Users/icullis/Downloads/201214CW.Notice.pdf.

To date the district has completed a trail map and condition assessment, which is outlined in the agenda and report; file:///C:/Users/icullis/Downloads/201214CW.AGN.pdf. The Seymour Trails Strategic Plan starts on page 29.

I've read through the report a few times. Seems to still have a fairly negative spin...with identify, consolidate, decommission, and penalize popping up quite a few times in the report. Here are some of the comments;

• a few trail construction and decommissioning projects
  • Staff have begun to focus their efforts on the Berkley Hyannis area, and are currently developing a framework for trail decommissioning, consolidation, and select closures
  • Parks will continue to rely upon a seasonal trail crew responsible for trail maintenance, minor Infrastructure repairs, decommissioning of unsustainable trails, and restoration of heavily impacted areas
  • Through the North Shore Restorative Justice Program, the District worked with the trail builder, who was fined and assigned 50 hours of community service to support trail restoration areas
  • prepare a plan for trail management...
  • Ideally, a year-round full time alpine trail crew would be approved within Parks to inspect and maintain trails, to decommission unsustainable trails, and / or those trails that may be recommended for closure through the study

That said, it is great that the DNV is looking at planning the trail network and trying/attempting to work with the other landowners (Metro, BC Parks, CMHC). It would be great if they worked on prioritizing a network that met the needs of all users (so illegal and unauthorized trails weren't needed).

If you would like to be heard send polite and constructive feedback/speaking requests to [email protected].

Dec. 9, 2020, 12:33 p.m.

your links are to files on your own computer

Dec. 9, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

seems the link is an automatic download and I'm not sure how to deal with that so here the link to the google link that will get you to the document

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjbnrHd5MHtAhV6HzQIHYeFBM0QFjABegQIBRAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.dnv.org%2FOpenDocument%2FDefault.aspx%3FdocNum%3D4609671&usg=AOvVaw0XUqFzjzAQu9yQauX34iOS

Dec. 9, 2020, 1:05 p.m.

Sorry for the crappy links...thanks for fixing!

Dec. 9, 2020, 2:59 p.m.

Here's the DNV download link to the standalone report:

http://app.dnv.org/OpenDocument/Default.aspx?docNum=4609683

Last edited by: D_C_ on Dec. 9, 2020, 3 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 9, 2020, 10:05 p.m.

Posted by: icullis

• Staff have begun to focus their efforts on the Berkley Hyannis area, and are currently developing a framework for trail decommissioning, consolidation, and select closures

This isn't surprising, the area between the Mary Kirk trail and Hyannis is getting heavily braided.

I noticed that the workshop agenda has a maximum of 10 minutes for public input on both topics being discussed (the other is Lynn Canyon Pay Parking Pilot Project). Probably worth sending any input to [email protected] as well.

If you just want to listen to the discussion, the link is http://app.dnv.org/councillive/ at 7PM on Dec. 14.

Dec. 15, 2020, 9:38 a.m.

Could anyone provide a summary of how the council meeting went last night?

Dec. 15, 2020, 10:53 a.m.

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet...but here is a link to the recording; https://app.dnv.org/council/default.aspx?filename=20201214cw&type=MP4&start=1

Seymour Trails Strategic plan discussion starts and 1 hour 5 minutes...

Last edited by: icullis on Dec. 15, 2020, 11:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 15, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

going to be many years before anything is done...  Steve Jones made some comments that stood out for me.  1hr:27min into the vid.

Dec. 15, 2020, 12:13 p.m.

Steve Jones thank you, very well spoken and really brought a lot of our concerns to light.

Dec. 15, 2020, 2:53 p.m.

I too think Steve Jones did a great job summarizing the concerns. I think props/congratulations need to go out to Cooper, who volunteered to speak with a 23 day old baby!

A few other interesting comments...

• Fromme has a trail classification plan, not a trail network plan
  • Councilor Muri seemed to imply that the NSMBA was supposed to police unsanctioned trails??
  • Councilor Forbes mentioned the urban containment boundary, which is to meant to contain housing development...From metro; UCB is intended to maintain a stable, long-term footprint for urban development. Not limit recreation?
  • Would be great if the trail planning looked at trails within municipal parks too!
Dec. 15, 2020, 11:16 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Steve J is correct that DNV already knows what they want to do.... if they have more trails, more staff, more money more work more liability. Just easier to pay a consultant to say that these trails don't meet environmental standards and shut them down and pretend they are environmental stewards of the forest. I know of at least 4 trails on Fromme that got shut from DNV.

Meanwhile dogs roam free and poo bags everywhere cuz dogs are cute.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Dec. 15, 2020, 11:18 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 16, 2020, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

North Shore trails are covered in dog shit. Hyannis, Princess, and Kirkstone park are especially bad.

Dec. 16, 2020, 9:42 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Steve J is correct that DNV already knows what they want to do.... if they have more trails, more staff, more money more work more liability. Just easier to pay a consultant to say that these trails don't meet environmental standards and shut them down and pretend they are environmental stewards of the forest. I know of at least 4 trails on Fromme that got shut from DNV.

Steve Jones was very well spoken and had some great thoughts and questions for Council.

Mtn Bikers are such a problem, dogs pooing everywhere, chasing wildlife, running through swamps and creeks no problem though, not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of missing poo bags that must be in the forest these days....

Dec. 16, 2020, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: gramm

Steve Jones was very well spoken and had some great thoughts and questions for Council.

Mtn Bikers are such a problem, dogs pooing everywhere, chasing wildlife, running through swamps and creeks no problem though, not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of missing poo bags that must be in the forest these days....

Yep...I see a lot of those poo bags, but I have noticed that they tend to be at the beginnings/ends of trails (dogs tend to take a crap sooner than later in a walk....they are not ones to hold it in). Often, they are withing a few 100m of a garbage receptacle. I cannot figure out why owners leave the bags in place expecting someone else to clean up after them. While riding recently, I found three bags near the Dempsey Connector, so I placed them on a bridge handrail for others to see (maybe they would get the idea)....they stayed there for 4 days before I finally took them out myself. The good news is that there were no new bags added. :-)

Last edited by: mudrunner on Dec. 16, 2020, 10:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.