Could a full length flowy jump and berm trail be build on the North Shore?

June 28, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

air supply? I always figured that was a good candidate for a jumpy rebuild, being a skid road and all. But still, the amount of money needed would go a long way on the existing shore network. Ride the bike park for jumps!

June 28, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

If a bike park gets built on Cypress, that might be the place. But you might have to pay to ride it.

Whatever happened to the Cypress Bike park anyway? I don't think I've heard anything about it in several years.

June 28, 2016, 1:30 p.m.

Rumor has it that they are working on opening it for this year… who knows for sure though.

:canada:

June 28, 2016, 5:40 p.m.

Rumor has it that they are working on opening it for this year… who knows for sure though.

The only thing that's known for sure is that nothing is opening this year.

June 28, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

However I miss that the North Shore does not have intermediate jump / flow trails like Half / Full Nelson in Squamish and U-Line (Unemployment Line) in Bellingham. The closest we have is the awesome but short Boogie Nights which has no real way to lap it without having to ride Boogieman or Pangor first. Is this because of local traditions, or local environment (not enough of the right type of soil / too much rain and too steep terrain), because of concerns of the land owners or just because it hasn't been done yet?

I know there are some very strong opinions on topics like this but I hope everyone can all keep this civil. I'm not actually trying to be a troll!:argue: I just want to know if it could ever happen, why or why not, and if it ever has been considered or talked about at NSMBA meetings.

Sorry. Bit douchey complaining about trails I didn't build…but I have invested decades of work fixing other trails, so my nickel:

Maybe not Xorrox's point exactly , but the fall line standard sucks. So many currently popular trails are drag brake down the fall line, to sharp turn, repeat, till the bottom of the hill. And the trails are just totally blown out because of it.

Ain't nothing wrong with building a few bench cut/ flow trails instead, with some fall line bits on surfaces that can handle it like solid rock.

Not to say that many current well known trails weren't well made awesome loamers when originally cut! Just that due to design time has washed away what once was great and often left behind a pile o' crap.

Some more bench cut trails that rely on flow to slow down rather than heavy beaking would definitely resist high bike traffic and subsequent water erosion better, and may even be fun in the meantime.

Other similar areas to the Shore have managed to pull it off eh?

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

June 29, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

Xorrox have you checked out the flow exit from Incline on Seymour? It's short but has a couple of jumps into a pump track style section with lots of small low consequence doubles. For me personally, I don't like jump trails outside of the bike park. In the park, there is professional medical care available in minutes if something goes wrong, not so much when riding trails elsewhere.

That link up on Galbraith is awesome, although I didn't hit the largest jumps the day I was there (don't want to test my employers travel insurance on a bike crash haha).

June 29, 2016, 9:33 a.m.

Xorrox have you checked out the flow exit from Incline on Seymour? It's short but has a couple of jumps into a pump track style section with lots of small low consequence doubles. For me personally, I don't like jump trails outside of the bike park. In the park, there is professional medical care available in minutes if something goes wrong, not so much when riding trails elsewhere.

That link up on Galbraith is awesome, although I didn't hit the largest jumps the day I was there (don't want to test my employers travel insurance on a bike crash haha).

Yep, - there are a bunch of jumps on that Evo, U-Line, Atomic Dog link up on Galbraith that I bypassed as well. I wish the contract I was working on down in Bellingham wasn't over; I had almost gotten the guts up to try the two optional stump drops on EVO. There were some HUGE doubles at the bottom of U-Line (I think) that I wouldn't hit in a million years. The great thing is everything big is optional and U-line especially works up gradually from super safe table tops to some small doubles and then gives more advanced options lower down. Perfect for a nearly 50 YO bike jumping newbie like myself. My wife would kill me if I went away on a business trip and ended up in the hospital because I went biking after work! I only had one very minor wipe out in at least 10 rides in that area which is much better than my North Shore record :)

I just rode that new Incline - powerlines linkup again yesterday for the 3rd time. I'm still trying to work out the timing on the jumps / rolls as the spacing / timing on some of them seems funny to me. Someone was working on a video there at the time so hopefully they post this soon so I can see how this is really supposed to be done:rolleyes: It's a great addition for sure, although I kind of miss the final straight down eroded Incline crash and bash rock fest that I had finally pretty much mastered after riding it all winter. ;)

June 29, 2016, 8:08 p.m.

In my opinion:

Best consistent fall line is Ned's.
JOYRIDE should peanut butter pave it.

There, I said it.:banned::orly:

July 6, 2016, 12:14 a.m.

Yep, - there are a bunch of jumps on that Evo, U-Line, Atomic Dog link up on Galbraith that I bypassed as well. I wish the contract I was working on down in Bellingham wasn't over; I had almost gotten the guts up to try the two optional stump drops on EVO. There were some HUGE doubles at the bottom of U-Line (I think) that I wouldn't hit in a million years. The great thing is everything big is optional and U-line especially works up gradually from super safe table tops to some small doubles and then gives more advanced options lower down. Perfect for a nearly 50 YO bike jumping newbie like myself. My wife would kill me if I went away on a business trip and ended up in the hospital because I went biking after work! I only had one very minor wipe out in at least 10 rides in that area which is much better than my North Shore record :)

I just rode that new Incline - powerlines linkup again yesterday for the 3rd time. I'm still trying to work out the timing on the jumps / rolls as the spacing / timing on some of them seems funny to me. Someone was working on a video there at the time so hopefully they post this soon so I can see how this is really supposed to be done:rolleyes: It's a great addition for sure, although I kind of miss the final straight down eroded Incline crash and bash rock fest that I had finally pretty much mastered after riding it all winter. ;)

The straight shot on Incline is still where it was for you to enjoy.

July 8, 2016, 11 a.m.

The straight shot on Incline is still where it was for you to enjoy.

Yep:agree: I may return to it this winter if the power lines connector gets all muddy or I finally get good at this new section.

Right now I'm trying get the timing on the bumps / hops on the new connector down. To me it seems as if they jammed in at least one too many rollers in the end section of the power lines connector. That video I saw them recording that I mentioned in a previous post has now been released http://nsmb.com/shores-second-coming/. If you look at 1:38 you can see what I mean - you almost need to manual or just roll the one bump to be set up to hop the next one. I'm having trouble doing this without casing and yet still maintaining enough speed to clear the previous and next double.

When I get as good as Stephen Matthews (not likely!!!) then maybe I can shift my attentions elsewhere ;)