Cougars?

Jan. 16, 2016, 12:17 p.m.

Goats in Deep Cove?

The guys living there have little success with women.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 20, 2016, 9:04 a.m.

Have spent close to 30 years building trails alone in the woods and only once did I see a cougar face to face. I will never forget those eyes. They are burned into my memory for good. Took weeks for me to go back and finish that trail, and I never ride past that area without looking around and getting a bit freaked. I see their paw prints in the snow from time to time, and see fresh deer kills that let me know they are out there watching us but it seems only the young or older desperate ones are remotely interested in us as a meal.

Jan. 21, 2016, 9:07 a.m.

Have spent close to 30 years building trails alone in the woods and only once did I see a cougar face to face. I will never forget those eyes. They are burned into my memory for good. Took weeks for me to go back and finish that trail, and I never ride past that area without looking around and getting a bit freaked. I see their paw prints in the snow from time to time, and see fresh deer kills that let me know they are out there watching us but it seems only the young or older desperate ones are remotely interested in us as a meal.

It may simply because I'm typing on my phone and not actually in the situation, but Id really like to see a cougar out there. I don't want it to be when my dog is with me and I definitely don't want my first site of it to be during a pounce from behind.

Maybe I'm naive but I'd think that an adult male should be able to convince a cougar that the cougar is the prey 99% of the time, not the other way around. Maybe easy to say from where I'm sitting as I type this in my superman pyjamas and in the superhero pose. I'm very interested in these cats tho!

I can see how it could be very spooky coming across one under many circumstances.

Jan. 21, 2016, 10:09 a.m.

Well the problem is that you need to see it first to convince it first.
But usually they stalk from higher up vantage points and plunge down.
They have good full suspension design, are not afraid of drops, and can get clipped in before you can say boo!
But it is ski season now anyways :)

Jan. 21, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

It may simply because I'm typing on my phone and not actually in the situation, but Id really like to see a cougar out there. I don't want it to be when my dog is with me and I definitely don't want my first site of it to be during a pounce from behind.

Maybe I'm naive but I'd think that an adult male should be able to convince a cougar that the cougar is the prey 99% of the time, not the other way around. Maybe easy to say from where I'm sitting as I type this in my superman pyjamas and in the superhero pose. I'm very interested in these cats tho!

I can see how it could be very spooky coming across one under many circumstances.

Can't say I'm too excited about a face to face with a 125 lb agile killing machine!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 21, 2016, 9:02 p.m.

a trail runner on Bear Mtn was face to face with one the other day mid afternoon doing a solo lap , so heads up out around Bear and RED .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 22, 2016, 9:01 a.m.

Goats in Deep Cove?

ya know, so you can sacrifice it in the back yard [HTML_REMOVED] party with the fam…

Saw a bobcat in deer lake park a while back but that's a far cry from a cougar!

Jan. 22, 2016, 9:38 a.m.

Check out my post from earlier in the thread:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2871842[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=19

Jan. 22, 2016, 10:25 a.m.

No doubt that it can get ugly if you come across the wrong cougar. That is a gruesome account of the attack. Glad that he took care of that one, and it seems that he 1) knew what he was doing and was somewhat armed, and 2) that it was a lot closer than I would have thought it would have been.

Thanks for the reality check!

Jan. 22, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

ya know, so you can sacrifice it in the back yard [HTML_REMOVED] party with the fam…

Saw a bobcat in deer lake park a while back but that's a far cry from a cougar!

I didn't realize how big bobcats/lynx can get.

Saw this pic on FB about a week ago.

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

Records show that cougar attacks on humans are definitely on the rise. There have been 110 documented attacks in North America since 1890, yet almost half of those occurred after 1990. Many of the attacks before 1990 occurred on Vancouver Island, possibly because some prey species that cougars usually hunt, such as porcupines, Virginia opossums, cottontail rabbits and badgers, are now absent.

There are many possible reasons why cougar attacks are growing. I don't doubt that people are more likely to officially lodge formal reports of a cougar attack now than they would have 50 or 100 years ago. Another reason is that more and more humans are building out into their habitat. The other reason (cited above) is the disappearence/disturbance of their prey near built up areas.

There have been 110 documented cougar attacks in North America since 1890, and 27 fatalities. By contrast, lightning causes 10 to 12 fatalities and about 150 to 160 injuries each year just in Canada each year.

Your odds of being killed by a cougar in Canada are far, far less than being struck by lighting or killed by someone's pet dog (593 deaths 3285 maimed North America wide between 1982 and 2014).

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-attack-deaths-maimings-merritt-clifton-2014.pdf

I didn't realize how big bobcats/lynx can get.

Saw this pic on FB about a week ago.

Bobcats and Lynx are different species. Lynxes tend to be larger than bobcats. They can grow up to 22 in at the shoulder and 42 in length, about the size of a medium-sized dog (eg slightly above the size of a breed-standard pitbull - 21 inches at the withers). The one in the picture looks even bigger because of its thick winter coat.

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

lots of bobcat sightings around whistler the past few weeks, but they really aren't that big, a 50 pound dog is probably bigger most of the time

Jan. 22, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

Odds of being attacked by a cougar are less than being struck by lightning, but if you frequently head into cougar country the odds change significantly.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 22, 2016, 2:17 p.m.

Your odds of being killed by a cougar in Canada are far, far less than being struck by lighting or killed by someone's pet dog (593 deaths 3285 maimed North America wide between 1982 and 2014).

While I agree with your point (odds are minimal), the stats don't paint the entire picture.

Everybody is exposed to the risk of pet dogs.
Instead of using the entire population as a sample size, what are my odds if I go for a run through crumpit woods by myself at 4AM?

Jan. 22, 2016, 5:51 p.m.

While I agree with your point (odds are minimal), the stats don't paint the entire picture.

Everybody is exposed to the risk of pet dogs.
Instead of using the entire population as a sample size, what are my odds if I go for a run through crumpit woods by myself at 4AM?

Its all about location, geographical distribution and human behaviour…

Edit: Removed the stuff about differences between Canada and the US lighting deaths stats. Environment Canada says about 10 "lightning related deaths a year", US says about 25 killed by lighting each year. Not clear why proportionally 4X more Canadians per year die due to lightning. I suspect Canada has an interpretation of "lightning-related" that is different from the US.