Cougars?

May 14, 2015, 6:16 p.m.

Sad for the loss of a beautiful animal, hopefully it was a worthwhile kill.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cougar-shot-killed-in-west-vancouver-1.3075132

May 14, 2015, 6:23 p.m.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1999335/cougar-shot-and-killed-in-west-vancouver/

:(

May 14, 2015, 7:13 p.m.

Do you think throwing a big bag of catnip at a cougar would do anything to it?

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 14, 2015, 8 p.m.

Edit, found a much longer article on the Port Alice attack:
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/wildlife-nature/articles/pdfs/cougar-cougar-attack.pdf

That attack was 2 minutes from my house at the time. An acquaintance drove him to the hospital, wasn't pretty.

If I was worried about Cougars, I'd never ride my bike in Campbell River. Be aware of your surroundings, and pack a knife if you're really concerned. Or stay home I guess.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 24, 2015, 1:34 p.m.

That report from the 90's basically just tells you to try and bash their heads in with whatever weapon you can find before being mauled haha !

May 24, 2015, 1:47 p.m.

every time i climb OB above the powerlines i feel like somethings watching me, definitely a cougar… better pick up some of those wiskas temptations

I also feel like someone is watching me when I'm climbing Old Buck. Possibly the ghost of Old Buck himself!?!?
Who's to say

June 8, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

Apologies to the guy I yelled at last night around 8pm on 7th. Hadn't seen anyone on the mountain for a while, had large animals on the mind, and when you made your presence known with a bit of a grunt, scared the fuck out of me.

June 8, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Apologies to the guy I yelled at last night around 8pm on 7th. Hadn't seen anyone on the mountain for a while, had large animals on the mind, and when you made your presence known with a bit of a grunt, scared the fuck out of me.

Lol

June 8, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

Best quote so far from one of the Rangers in the paper regarding the latest batch of fear mongering was. "Bees are responsible for more death's in North America each year than cougars." So where's the Bee thread about how unsafe I feel riding alone with all those bees on the North Shore?

June 8, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

Best quote so far from one of the Rangers in the paper regarding the latest batch of fear mongering was. "Bees are responsible for more death's in North America each year than cougars." So where's the Bee thread about how unsafe I feel riding alone with all those bees on the North Shore?

nobody rides boundary anymore!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 9, 2015, 7:21 a.m.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/cougar-sighted-near-north-vancouver-s-capilano-university-1.1958955

June 10, 2015, 9:10 p.m.

I am sure that is true, but EVERYONE is allergic to cougar attacks!

June 11, 2015, 11:09 a.m.

I am sure that is true, but EVERYONE is allergic to cougar attacks!

That's exactly what I thought. 99% of people attacked by bees live. Can't say the same for da big pussy cats.

Wrong. Always.

June 11, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

That's exactly what I thought. 99% of people attacked by bees live. Can't say the same for da big pussy cats.

Ill bet you all of us at one time or another has been watched by a cougar and we were completely unaware. I am often with a dog or two and they have yelled at something in the woods that i can't see. Could be bears (but not in winter) coyotes, deer, racoons or cougar. My dogs have been known to holler at small dogs that from a distance might be mistaken for a cat. There are lots of deer on the shore so I am sure that cougars are preying on them too. I don't worry about it. I feel the risk of an attack is extremely remote and my dogs would take the brunt anyway or scare off the animal first.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 11, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

Ill bet you all of us at one time or another has been watched by a cougar and we were completely unaware. I am often with a dog or two and they have yelled at something in the woods that i can't see. Could be bears (but not in winter) coyotes, deer, racoons or cougar. My dogs have been known to holler at small dogs that from a distance might be mistaken for a cat. There are lots of deer on the shore so I am sure that cougars are preying on them too. I don't worry about it. I feel the risk of an attack is extremely remote and my dogs would take the brunt anyway or scare off the animal first.

Oh for sure. I bike alone a lot and am in areas where cougars are spotted fairly regularily. I imagine I've been watched many times. I wouldn't want to run into one that's semi-starved or too familiar with humans though. Lots of deer out there this year (probably why the cougar sightings are so common this year) so I'm not worried about starved cougars.

I do wonder though if cougars mistake mountain bikes for deer sometimes? And I wonder if the "eyes on the back of the helmet" trick they do in California has much usefulness.

Wrong. Always.