Cougars?

May 12, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

BC Gov Safety Guide to Cougars

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/cougsf.htm

May 12, 2015, 5:05 p.m.

they are (or certainly always might be) around here in the Cumberland area as well. many sightings and encounters last year. none so far this yr that i know of. i revel in the fact that they are there and i get to share their space. the liklihood of an attack is so remote. now if i were a small woman with a blond pony tail i might feel a bit less confident….

May 12, 2015, 5:10 p.m.

this may also be a safe option for cougar protection on the trails

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 12, 2015, 5:24 p.m.

the liklihood of an attack is so remote. now if i were a small woman with a blond pony tail i might feel a bit less confident….

You so sure about that?

01 August. 61-year-old David Parker was attacked by a 100 pound (45 Kg) adult, male cougar at about 7:30 p.m. on his nightly stroll along a road near his home about two kilometres outside of Port Alice. Because of a sudden downpour, he took shelter from the rain under a rock ledge hanging over the remote gravel road. As he leaned against the rock shelf outcropping, the cougar pounced down beside him, startling him. When he went for his pocket knife, he left his neck exposed and the cougar lunged. He had to throw his head in a way to protect his neck, *which is when it bit his scalp and pulled it down over his eyes. In the struggle, Parker was hurled into the ditch, where his jaw was shattered against a rock and his cheekbone broken.

Buck Knife Male Cougar As the cat clawed and bit into his neck, face, and head, Parker managed to open his knife's three-inch blade, stab the cougar a few times, and eventually slit it's throat, leaving the cat to bleed in the middle of the gravel road.

With darkness descending and no one nearby on the deserted gravel road, Parker, a retired millworker, managed to walk one kilometre to an industrial log sorting depot, where Jeff Reaume sped him to hospital in a company-owned logging ambulance. Reaume said whether by instinct, knowledge, or luck, Parker was able to slash the throat of the mauling cat - the surest way to kill it. "He knew how to cut the cat. He knew what he was doing. If it was someone who didn't know how to cut it, we'd have found a body there - or nothing at all, just blood." A friend of Parker's, Larry Pepper, mayor of the small forestry-dependent town near the north end of Vancouver Island, figures the cougar kept fighting for two or three minutes even after being slashed, but it finally died on the road. "Not that many people get attacked by a cougar and get away."

From the hospital in Port Alice, Parker was transferred to Port Hardy, then air-lifted to Victoria's Royal Jubilee Hospital, where he underwent reconstructive facial surgery the next day after which he was listed in stable but critical condition in the intensive-care unit.

The cougar in Parker's attack appeared healthy but was clearly hungry. An autopsy will be performed on the cougar to determine whether it was injured, diseased, or had anything in its stomach at the time of the attack. "He was skinny but he wasn't starving to death," said Conservation officer Ken Fujino. Port Alice residents have long been aware of the dangers of cougars and have been warned by officials to walk in groups or carry bats, knives, or pepper spray to protect themselves from aggressive cats. Thursday's attack was the fourth in about two years for the north Island and the second for Port Alice. Sources: (Vancouver Sun; Man kills cougar in fight to survive; Jim Beatty; August 03, 2002) (Vancouver Sun; From the jaws of death; Jim Beatty; August 08, 2002) (Vancouver Sun; Cougar attack a fight to the death; Jim Beatty; August 08, 2002) (Times Colonist (Victoria); Survival Instinct; Emily Bowers; August 08, 2002)

http://www.angelfire.com/co/KlueLass/lions/attacks3.htm

I remember when this happened.

There was another one in Nanaimo a year or two later where a cougar attacked a guy riding his bike home from an evening shift.

Edit, found a much longer article on the Port Alice attack:
http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/wildlife-nature/articles/pdfs/cougar-cougar-attack.pdf

May 12, 2015, 6:59 p.m.

Is this for real? What are the chances of meeting one doing laps on Fromme?

Do they hang out around the 7th Secret entrance?

Funny you should say that…Last year riding Fromme in the snow, we noticed cougar prints crossing the road at the entrance to 7th. They looked fairly fresh. We geared up in record time [HTML_REMOVED] rode down 7th in a hurry.

Thread killer

May 12, 2015, 8:10 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4qtuGmyZoI

May 12, 2015, 8:37 p.m.

sign up on fromme now, managed a lap of expresso without any sign of anything tonight, definitely spent more time looking in the forrest though. I thought I could smell some kind of animal on Saturday up around the 6th switchback, figured it might be a bear but could have been something else, or nothing, pretty sure it wasn't me!

May 12, 2015, 9:16 p.m.

Cougars do not fit with my hopes of the shore being dumbed down!!!!!!

May 12, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

They're ankle deep in the piano lounge at the Fairmont on Georgia.

No, it's the clearing for sub-divisions up Sqamish way that attracts them. Just ask 3 sheets…..

What about the mtn. biker in Alberni found dead by the river with cougar bite to back of neck awhile back?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

May 13, 2015, 7:28 a.m.

One of the coolest (and scariest) things I've ever seen was just after starting a climb and seeing a deer cross the road. About 10-15 seconds later a huge mountain lion slithered out all in stalk mode. The thing paused, looked at me then slowly tracked behind the deer on it's path.
I promptly turned around and made a sprint back to my car.
didn't want to get between a lion and its meal.

/safe riding

May 13, 2015, 7:37 a.m.

Big cat up on Kirkford on Sunday. Walked between Pete and his chainsaw.

May 13, 2015, 9:52 a.m.

I really prefer solo rides but dammit this has me thinking twice about that.

Wrong. Always.

May 13, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

Mountain lions live in mountains. We ride in mountains. I have seen a Lynx in Coquitlam. I am stoked that i share the forest with the predators.
Upper Lynne valley and upper Seymore valley are prime habitat for Cougars. They eat deer not people.
Please respect the animals and please dont post reports about attacks. Pet dogs attack,maim and kill far more people each year.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

May 13, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

Send this dude up Mountain Highway first to see what happens.

May 14, 2015, 9:48 a.m.

Mountain lions live in mountains. We ride in mountains. I have seen a Lynx in Coquitlam. I am stoked that i share the forest with the predators.
Upper Lynne valley and upper Seymore valley are prime habitat for Cougars. They eat deer not people.
Please respect the animals and please dont post reports about attacks. Pet dogs attack,maim and kill far more people each year.

While I agree with what you're saying on the most part, I don't think it hurts (pun intended fuk ya!) to post about attacks if it prevents future attacks or at least prepares someone in case of attack. Cougars were rarely seen in previous years/decades. This year there's been tons of sightings, so something is up. And if you have young kids like I do you want to keep a closer eye on them when walking the trails.

Wrong. Always.