Cougar warning demo forest!

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

Big (large 200 ++lb) cougar warning for demo forest. Signs up and has been seen on multi use trail by friends of mine.
Was on news this morning , they said the heat makes them more aggressive too??

Aug. 18, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

200 pounds? I bet from the back she looks like the side of a canoe.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 20, 2018, 8:57 p.m.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/20/mountain-bikers-fatal-cougar-attack-washington-state

Anyone else spooked by the cougar attack in WA?

Cat followed two riders. They got off their bikes and the cat rushed them. One of them hit the cat with the bike. It retreated and then attacked again. Head of one rider in cats mouth when the other rider takes off - cat chases him and kills him. First rider watches cat drag dead riders body into the woods as he pedals away. 

This is not how the cats are supposed to behave!

May 21, 2018, 10:04 a.m.

Watch your dogs back at the start of antagonizer on Cypress. Pretty fearless very large coyote was following us with our dogs for a while. Probably one of the biggest ones I have seen.

May 21, 2018, 2:52 p.m.

I’ve seen a couple coyotes up there and TONS of coyote crap up higher by the power lines. 

Rode that area on Saturday - always a treat. Will watch for out for this rogue coyote. But one isn’t the problem. I saw three of them passing from house to house in the Cypress Estates area the other day. Those guys were trouble

May 21, 2018, 9:12 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/20/mountain-bikers-fatal-cougar-attack-washington-state

Anyone else spooked by the cougar attack in WA?

Yah I got an invite to visit family at a lake near Cumberland which is not too far from North Bend I thought "oh yeah good excuse to go ride Wash. state". Now I think, whoa.........

May 22, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

Im telling myself that this was a rare enough event that the one and only bad-ass cougar is gone! But riders are talking about this on the Shore - it seems to have spooked a lot of people. It was a good reminder for me to talk to my son about what to do when/if you encounter a cat.

May 25, 2018, 10:53 a.m.

Have never seen one on the shore (but how often do you actually see one, whereas they see you). Only time I've seen one biking was on the fire road around the slab trails at Alice Lake last year. It looked at us and buggered off pretty quick but was definitely scary. Whenever I bike that area alone I get creeped out now.

May 28, 2018, 11:12 a.m.

I know what you mean. Talking with BPP folks the other day about their game cameras that are up on Cypress, they're seeing Cougars on those, as did the guys who were working on BLT months back. I get spooked when I ride by the locations where they tell me they saw them, which seems silly given their range and that Id rather be where a cougar WAS than where it IS! 

That said, Id really love to see one under a circumstance that isn't stressful.

Last edited by: Ddean on May 28, 2018, 11:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2018, 12:06 p.m.

haha, yes. 

This made re-evaluate (i.e. chicken out from) a solo night ride in the demo forest and LSCR area

June 13, 2018, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Watch your dogs back at the start of antagonizer on Cypress. Pretty fearless very large coyote was following us with our dogs for a while. Probably one of the biggest ones I have seen.

The Coyote was on watch last night on Antagonizer. Still as a stump, and just as large.. Our dog chased it off, which was scary on its own trying to catch up to them on the steep chute...