Cougar spotted on Seymour last night

Oct. 24, 2013, 3:57 p.m.

A fixed blade would be preferred, always, unless you practice drawing your folder in low light, low temperature, gloved etc. conditions; under duress, while on your bike, or off your bike lying on your back in the mud with an animal (wild, or human attacker).

Anything is better than nothing though so if you do have a folder you can still draw it as an impact device. No need to get completely fixated in using it as a blade only.

Emerson Knives has neat wave feature that is supposed to open the blade as you draw. Those of you with Spyderco; there's a zip tie mod that will do the same.

http://www.thebackyardpioneer.com/2012/08/07/spyderco-zip-tie-mod-a-gear-review/

Above all though, riding in groups, if possible, is always best. Everyone stay safe out there! :)

Oct. 24, 2013, 5:28 p.m.

I carry a small knife in my pack and ever since I saw the cougar sighting sign at the water towers on Fromme I've kept it in my pocket. Not sure I would be able to effectively use it in case of an attack, but better than nothing I guess! the blade is probably only 4 inches, which makes me think it won't be overly useful…

Oct. 24, 2013, 5:47 p.m.

For the effort to carry one, if it increases your chances of survival or escaping serious injury by 20%, I'd say it's worth it.

Oct. 24, 2013, 6:01 p.m.

You guys think you could draw a knife in the midst of a cougar attack?

…cute as a button.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 24, 2013, 6:59 p.m.

No, not at all… However if you are being stared down, I'd think you're better off to have one in your hand.

Oct. 24, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

Will bear spray help deter an attack? I picked some up last month to have in the outside pocket of the pack. Not the quickest access but I'm hoping it would be easy enough to access if I notice something and then I can be ready if it gets close enough to be able to hit it. If not I hope they like they're food spicy.

Oct. 24, 2013, 10:12 p.m.

bear spray will work very well for a cougar. You might have to discharge slightly before you would with a bear since the cougar would lunge at you and probably faster.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Oct. 24, 2013, 10:36 p.m.

when i was riding at dusk, solo, in the exact area where all the sightings have been .. I thought of this thread. Then I thought about getting some kind of compact fixed blade knife. Anyone carry a knife?

Yes. Not that i expect I'd be able to use it, but it's kinda silly to be totally unarmed when alone in the forest. Bear spray sometimes.

Oct. 24, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

how many cougar attacks per year in BC on adults? 1? 2?

when was the last time someone got attacked by a bear or cougar on the north shore?

Oct. 25, 2013, 12:27 a.m.

bear spray will work very well for a cougar. You might have to discharge slightly before you would with a bear since the cougar would lunge at you and probably faster.

Everyone in this thread will be discharging more than slightly if a cougar lunges at them.

Oct. 25, 2013, 12:47 a.m.

Everyone in this thread will be discharging more than slightly if a cougar lunges at them.

:lol:

Oct. 25, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

[QUOTE=ceebee;2786173 it's kinda silly to be totally unarmed when alone in the forest. [/QUOTE]

there's more of a chance of hurting yourself with your knife than fending off cougar/bear attack. You have more of a chance of winning the the lottery than getting attacked. If you get attacked by a cougar, especially at night, you won't know what hit you and you will not be able to grab a knife buried in your Camelback. When was the last bear attack on the Shore?

:canada:

Oct. 25, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

there's more of a chance of hurting yourself with your knife than fending off cougar/bear attack. You have more of a chance of winning the the lottery than getting attacked. If you get attacked by a cougar, especially at night, you won't know what hit you and you will not be able to grab a knife buried in your Camelback. When was the last bear attack on the Shore?

Agreed, and at night would'nt your lights be the best defense….so bright ,they blind.

If it comes down to it your knife isnt coming out, but think two finger eye gauging and fisting of the cougar's mouth.

Not a good time to be wearing a 1/2 lid

Oct. 25, 2013, 9:36 a.m.

how many cougar attacks per year in BC on adults? 1? 2?

when was the last time someone got attacked by a bear or cougar on the north shore?

Squamish 2011? Does that count?
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/15/mountain-biker-wary-after-cougar-attack/

Here's a list of Cougar attacks in North America since 2011. I count 6 on adults in BC.
http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks4.htm

wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America
Only 20 fatal attacks in 120 years apparently but….
At least 20 people in North America were killed by cougars between 1890 and 2011, including six in California. More than two-thirds of the Canadian fatalities occurred on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

It's worth talking about, I think.

Oct. 25, 2013, 9:57 a.m.

Axe. Axe deodorant body spray. That will repel one type of cougar but attract the other kind. The question is: Which is worse?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.