Cougar spotted on Seymour...

May 16, 2010, 12:28 a.m.

Like their human counterpart, the secret weapon of the cougar is their stalking and pouncing ability.

Recent cougar kill:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/03/bc-boston-bar-cougar-attack.html
Cougars aren't common around Seymour (only seen a cuople), but black bears are. I've had a mother and two cubs come right to the front door.

Fortunately the bear/cougar encounters are much less here than in a place like Vancouver Island. Also, the black bears around here are smaller.

LOL at the cougar vs bear video. Bears don't want to mess with wolverines either, but if a real fight ensues, a grizzly will do a Fedor on a cougar.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 17, 2010, 10:39 a.m.

saw a medium sized black bear on the road yesterday.

also heard some kinda weird sounds in the forest around the bottom of neds. just finished having a little break and started packing up to head down the rest of the trail and we started hearing these like howls.

it sounded like a cross between an owl and like a coyote lol and there was 2 of them. 1 on each side of us. they were totally communicating and slowly getting closer to us so it definitely seemed weird.

anyone know what that was? just owls or what lol.

May 17, 2010, 12:04 p.m.

If you weren't able to identify what the animals were that were making the noises, it must have been a sasquatch. Or manbearpig and a womanbearpig having a domestic dispute.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 17, 2010, 1:17 p.m.

Saw a cougar on my ride last weekend, was riding down a fire road, it saw me coming and started running away down the road, so I started pumping as hard as I could!! Eventually since I'm so awesome, was able to catch up to it and started riding alongside… so there I was riding abreast a cougar pumping for all I was worth (no pun intended here, honestly), while he was running hard down the road.

He turned and looked at me and our eyes locked, then through some sort of animal telepathy, he invited me to jump on his back, so I did, launched off my bike and wrapped my arms around his neck.

He then took me on a crazy, wild forest ride… time of my life.

Full disclosure - I also did a lot of acid this weekend and on Sunday morning my cat was super tired and really scared of me so….

May 17, 2010, 3:55 p.m.

it sounded like a cross between an owl and like a coyote lol and there was 2 of them. 1 on each side of us. they were totally communicating and slowly getting closer to us so it definitely seemed weird.

anyone know what that was? just owls or what lol.

The owls here sound like owls. They are often heard at night, and they are not shy.

There has been an animal making a noise I've never heard before, and I'm pretty sure sanrensho has heard it too. Definitely not a cat, coyote, owl, or bear.

Posted via Mobile Device

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 17, 2010, 4:27 p.m.

nice write up, was it one of these, its a lynx by the way.

There's one of those in Port Moody apparently. I know someone who saw it near Old Mill Site park/Old Orchardthingamajigga. She thought it was a cougar but when she phoned it in and described it (short tail) they said oh there's a bobcat that lives in there. People see it once in a while. Cougars have thick long tails by the way. And they're waaay bigger than a lynx/bobcat.

Wrong. Always.

May 17, 2010, 7:11 p.m.

There was still plenty of sun so I figured it wasn't an owl but definitely had an owl like hoot / dog howl going on lol.

And a freaky feeling to be in between 2 of whatever it was and hearing them slowly come closer to you as they are talking back and forth.