Coquitlam Fire/Rescue save injured mountain biker

March 8, 2010, 2:50 p.m.

the (soon to be) green slimy downhill log ride to get near the ladder that goes to the drop is one thing the builder did do. It was frightening just walking that stunt

well that helps, if it was a paved sidewalk run-up that would be really f-ing dumb..

like 5x dumber than it looks in that pic, and it looks pretty f-ing dumb.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 8, 2010, 3 p.m.

Problem with that is it only takes one person to "think"they can do it, hurt themselves badly, and get the parents involved and again sue the city, like what happened at the Shed years ago.
It only takes one person to Eff it up for the rest of the riders, and possibly the trails as well.
A good idea would be to put a sign up " Ride at your own risk" on stunts like this that way no one is liable ?

What good would that do? Those who think they can handle the stunt (imagining they are invincible) will just ignore the sign.

March 8, 2010, 3:05 p.m.

a sign doesn't take away the right to sue the landowner. (I could be wrong, having only one half semester course on engineeering liability)

March 8, 2010, 3:08 p.m.

IMBA's (US of A) liability primer

March 8, 2010, 3:09 p.m.

BC crown land - MTSA

March 8, 2010, 3:14 p.m.

Just skimming through both links it seems that "relative safety" issue pops up. For a stunt like this one would need a big-BIG sign saying "closed" that a rider would have to bunny-hop 5feet just to get on a log ride that turns into a skinny …

Well something like that.

March 8, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

actually, when the land owner sees the picture online, depending on their sensitivity, they'll go and cut it down.

March 8, 2010, 3:20 p.m.

would you blame them?

March 8, 2010, 3:22 p.m.

another good reason for the "no directions" on NSMB rule.

March 8, 2010, 3:24 p.m.

What good would that do? Those who think they can handle the stunt (imagining they are invincible) will just ignore the sign.

And people put a 'Beware of Dog" sign on their property fence for what reason again? Oh yeah if they intrude in the property and the dog bites them, they arent liable BECAUSE the sign was posted around the place.

March 8, 2010, 3:25 p.m.

another good reason for the "no directions" on NSMB rule.

Even mentioning the existence of this rule could be enough to get you flamed.

March 8, 2010, 3:27 p.m.

And people put a 'Beware of Dog" sign on their property fence for what reason again? Oh yeahm if they intrude in the property and the dog bites them, they arent liable BECAUSE the sign was posted around the place.

Actually, I was told that in the States this very thing happened and the would be 'Thief' sued and won… The fact that the owner placed a 'beware of dog' sign showed that he was aware that his dog(s) were dangerous… Go figure.

March 8, 2010, 3:36 p.m.

And people put a 'Beware of Dog" sign on their property fence for what reason again? Oh yeah if they intrude in the property and the dog bites them, they arent liable BECAUSE the sign was posted around the place.

Apples and oranges. Dog sign is to scare thieves away. The stunt is obviously dangerous for most riders.
Posted via Mobile Device

March 8, 2010, 3:39 p.m.

I heard about that but haven't seen it. I gotta say wtf?

Although Gorz hit it on his all mountain bike without much of an issue.

He hit it a few times and made it look easy and smooth, but also really had to drop the front end to hit it well.

The last time i was there it looked like they were gonna cross the original trail and have a berm heading off to the right…still doesn't change the fact of the awkward tranny.

When they were first building the stunt, i thought they were gonna have a small sniper tranny that would make it a nice sized drop and was really surprised to see how big and steep the tranny ended up being…..oh well, not my stunt. I'd like to try hitting it one day, but i don't think it would be one that i'd enjoy doing all the time.

March 8, 2010, 4:59 p.m.

when I rode by the stunt, there's a long ladder rolldown with a berm that leads you onto the ladder for the drop, then the ladder is really wide. that sort of thing lends itself to speed, when really you probably need to crawl off the edge of the drop.

not my trail, not my work, and if they like it, that's cool. Really just another reason I think woodwork for its own sake is silly. I wasn't expecting this much discussion out of the picture tho. :S

Check my stuff for sale!