Coming to Vancouver for a year

April 15, 2019, 10:39 a.m.

The coast road along from West Van to Horseshoe Bay is a really nice ride but not as quiet as you might hope for a windy ride, I liked the road from the base of Seymour out to Indian Arm though that ones fairly short but more Zen. My old stomping grounds were the Lothians and Borders so maybe just spoiled, maybe see half a dozen cars on a 3 hour ride once you're out the city! Definitely worth bringing a bike for transport as it's really well set up for bike roaming/commuting around here. Bike theft is high here though so you may want to pick up a junker too for getting around (pub). You can also take your bike on the bus to most of the mountains, depending on where you end up this can be a good option.

Last edited by: bingobus on April 15, 2019, 10:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 15, 2019, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: bingobus

The coast road along from West Van to Horseshoe Bay is a really nice ride but not as quiet as you might hope for a windy ride, I liked the road from the base of Seymour out to Indian Arm though that ones fairly short but more Zen. My old stomping grounds were the Lothians and Borders so maybe just spoiled, maybe see half a dozen cars on a 3 hour ride once you're out the city! Definitely worth bringing a bike for transport as it's really well set up for bike roaming/commuting around here. Bike theft is high here though so you may want to pick up a junker too for getting around (pub). You can also take your bike on the bus to most of the mountains, depending on where you end up this can be a good option.

I'm not a big road cyclist, but i think it's worth pointing out that the maps don't tell the whole story.

Canadian roads are wider in almost every instance than roads in the UK. And drivers are (generally) much more respectful.

April 15, 2019, 10:59 a.m.

If your road bike is a bit versatile like a CX/gravel then the options open up. Tons of interesting semi-wild things to explore if your road bike can get off the pavement a bit.

April 15, 2019, 11:18 a.m.

Good point nouseforaname. The drivers are WAY more respectful.

April 15, 2019, 1:03 p.m.

Bingo, give the LSCR Seymour Valley trailway a spin. 10k of beautiful pavement with gravel options on the side   You can ride right to the Seymour lake dam  

https://www.trailforks.com/route/lscr-trailway-to-fisherman-s-alternate-route-during-construction/

Last edited by: heckler on April 15, 2019, 1:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 15, 2019, 2:29 p.m.

If you go on Google maps for Vancouver and turn on the view for cycling it will show you all the dedicated and shared bike routs as well as a bunch of gravel options.

May 27, 2019, 2:27 p.m.

Make sure to post in here your initial impressions once you're here!

For a longer (very tiring) loop, with the new Fisherman's Bridge you can connect the Fromme and Seymour trail networks.