climbing

Oct. 22, 2011, 8:36 a.m.

For the same reason that I ride my bike at all. But seriously, there's a list. Climbing makes you stronger and fitter. It improves your mental game, both in line picking/strategy and in mental endurance.

Being stronger and fitter and knowing that "you can do it" makes you ride better. Riding better is more fun.

That is all.

www.northshorebillet.com

Oct. 22, 2011, 6:49 p.m.

Less than 2 yrs ago I picked up my AM bike and haven't looked back. Now when I do shuttle it'd better be an epic or something is def missing. When I started xc/am on Bridal it was a challenge to climb Hyannis trail to Bridal. Ha! Still not good enough to climb Old Buck all the way to BP, maybe next year. I can make Old Buck, Horse Loop to Empress and feel proud of that. But then I am old so it's all relative son.
I know a lot of people I used to shuttle DH with that don't ride MTB anymore. AM is the new DH for me. Plus 'going big' and all that scene is just not too smart when the bones get brittle.
Great thread.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Oct. 24, 2011, 9 a.m.

Anyone ridden Old Cypress Road lately? It used to be called "The Moose is Loose" on account of its loose rocky sections. It branches off from the Eagle Lake Access road and parallels the BLT for a bit. (I'm not worried about giving directions, as it is such a badass climb). Been spoiling to do it again sometime, but haven't done it in years.

Oct. 24, 2011, 9:07 a.m.

Anyone ridden Old Cypress Road lately? It used to be called "The Moose is Loose" on account of its loose rocky sections. It branches off from the Eagle Lake Access road and parallels the BLT for a bit. (I'm not worried about giving directions, as it is such a badass climb). Been spoiling to do it again sometime, but haven't done it in years.

i last did it a couple of years ago and it was in decent shape as it's part of the trans canada trail now. there's also a $30K outhouse near the top.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 24, 2011, 10:50 a.m.

Did it this summer, way smoother than back in the day like Syncro said. What it lacks in tech it makes up for in grade, very few rest sections, just keeps going up… great climb!

Oct. 24, 2011, 2:49 p.m.

I climb cause it hurts
I climb to improve my bike handling skills
I climb to excel at the sport
I climb to keep strong
Unfortunately I barley do it these days but I'm turning over a new leaf.

Oct. 24, 2011, 3:10 p.m.

I climb cause it hurts
I climb to improve my bike handling skills
I climb to excel at the sport
I climb to keep strong
Unfortunately I barley do it these days but I'm turning over a new leaf.

I've got some hurt for you too! ;)

Oct. 24, 2011, 3:32 p.m.

climbing is part of biking. The odd shuttle day is fun but its kind of like going to mcdonalds.