climbing

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:39 p.m.

Most of my riding right now is on my new stumpy and it's all on fromme. Usually climb Dempsey/Braemar to the BP then over to Mtn Highway.

Only ONCE have I ever cleaned the tough-as-shit rock thing just after you enter BP on that route. Damn you rock thing!

Ohh, and my ratio on cleaning the Stairs of Despair climb has got to be like 1 in 20.

flickr

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

I prefer single track climbs, but they are usually way harder in my experience. Fitness, challenge, a whole other bag of skills to learn, and variety of riding is more diverse. Fire road climbs can be challenging, but less scenic, and have more exposure to the weather.

I just asked a question in the gear thread that relates to this…kinda. Maybe it should move to another thread? It related to suspension and climbing but touched on technique too.

WTF, Over?

Oct. 18, 2011, 9:53 p.m.

a really nice tech climb on bby mtn is the full length of north road trail (3 sections) and then dead moped. i still can't clean the first, although the 2nd and 3rd sections are good. i blame my bike :lol:

another nice tech is the backyard trail on eagle. the first time i cleaned it i felt doing a dance lol

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:45 p.m.

so for those of you that do climb, why do you do it? is it just for fitness, do you like the challenge, like the feeling of accomplishment or all of these reasons? what type of climbing do you like the best and what are some of your fav local climbs, even if they're relatively short?

curious minds need to know.

All 3 … plus the descents after a climb are more fun because

1. You are no longer climbing
2. You earned them

I also realized a long time ago I'm a masochist. I'm happiest when I'm tired, hungry, aching, hot (or cold or both) and bleeding a little.

Ride-a-climb from this past summer … 29 mi, about 8000 ft of climbing (and 8000 ft of descent - it was a loop):

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:46 p.m.

I think I have a masochistic streak, I like the burn of a good climb. I also like the challenge and elation of completing a really good tech climb. Some of my favourites are: Physiotherapy, Mountain Air-Drummonds Walk-Pandora-Gnome's Home, and Franks uphill is pretty freaking awesome. If you want the ultimate climb, then go to Pemby, start at the gravel pit and climb to JtR; Happy, Waco, Nimby, Let it Go, Middle Earth, Owl Connector. I don't know that I have ever been spanked by a climb like that before.

Oct. 18, 2011, 10:50 p.m.

(some crazy ass shit)

holy mother of god. the prospect of climbing PAST middle earth made me whimper a little

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 19, 2011, 1:25 a.m.

that is a hellacious looking climb biggles….

WTF, Over?

Oct. 19, 2011, 7:05 a.m.

1.) fitness - i'm simply a better rider when i'm fit, and climbing makes me fit

2.) challenge - i like to challenge myself to improve. Lately, I've been trying to measure how quickly I ride from home (just below lynn valley road) to the trailhead and back home. Improving that time is very satisfying. Though it was stolen several months ago, I also enjoyed the challenge of riding my DH bike (it was a norco a-line) all the way to the trailhead. it wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it sure felt good to pull it off.

3.) skill - Though i don't do them as often, i like a technical climb, as it sheds light on areas to improve riding technique

4.) competition - it's not always a good thing, but I can be pretty competitive about riding. I pride myself on being the one in the group that can climb the fastest and for the longest duration.

5.) cross training - I like to hike the grind. The fitness I've built through mountain biking allows me to do it pretty well (personal best: 34:40). At the same time, doing to grind transfers pretty well into mountain biking. let's not forget the positive impact on one activity I'm sure we all prefer to mountain biking. Here's a hint: it's sex.

6.) the warm up - i hate dropping into a trail cold

The list above summarizes the obvious reasons for doing the climb. Somehow, the last just doesn't seem to make sense to have in a list; I love riding my bike. I will ride whatever and whenever I can.

There's no place like fromme

Oct. 19, 2011, 7:56 a.m.

I also find if I have a bad run down, how I got up makes the difference between a good day and meh day. If I got a good sweat on and enjoyed the way up then down is less key to a good time. If I shuttle up and have a bad run down, it's more frustrating as that's all I'm there for and all I'm getting out of it.

Oct. 19, 2011, 8:06 a.m.

To get high……

I used to be a right climbing freak back in the day, to the point of winning a club road hill climb on a mountain bike with slick tyres on it, which went down like a lead balloon with some of the locals, who were still of the opinion that mountain bikes weren't 'proper' bikes.

Nowadays I climb uphill to ride down. I'd rather ride up a fireroad with a good view, than be stuck in a forest on a singletrack. I'm pretty well the polar opposite of how I was 20 years ago. People change I guess. Which is why I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about walking up Fromme :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 19, 2011, 8:36 a.m.

a really nice tech climb on bby mtn is the full length of north road trail (3 sections) and then dead moped. i still can't clean the first, although the 2nd and 3rd sections are good. i blame my bike :lol:

another nice tech is the backyard trail on eagle. the first time i cleaned it i felt doing a dance lol

Pretty much climb everything on BBY just for variety, as it's my daily commute so you gotta mix it up. I come from PoMo side and love Hang Your Hat stuff over to the 'drome, then Drummonds behind Kask, then over to Pandora's. Favourite morning short climb is up N. Road Trails, TransCan/Joe's, Mel's, Upper GJ. Nicole's is maybe 60% rideable and no flow. It's surprising how rideable Upper Cut is to Lower and Upper GJ.

As for Eagle area, there's a great long winding twisty single track from over near Ioco townsite that climbs you all the way up to Starz access. Prolly my favourite night ride climb in the world. Just that perfect grade for spinning 24/32 or grinding 32/34 depending on legs and slippery factor. Do that every Monday while kids are in soccer camp and then rip down Starz to pick them up.

Just me and the headphones and the odd surprise bear.

Oct. 19, 2011, 8:37 a.m.

To get high……

I used to be a right climbing freak back in the day, to the point of winning a club road hill climb on a mountain bike with slick tyres on it, which went down like a lead balloon with some of the locals, who were still of the opinion that mountain bikes weren't 'proper' bikes.

Nowadays I climb uphill to ride down. I'd rather ride up a fireroad with a good view, than be stuck in a forest on a singletrack. I'm pretty well the polar opposite of how I was 20 years ago. People change I guess. Which is why I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about walking up Fromme :D

I've had a few rides where after the climb, I don't care what I ride down. A good techy single track climb can make a mediocre downhill bearable. I hate fire road, I don't ride Fromme much any more because I just can't stand the climb.

Oct. 19, 2011, 8:50 a.m.

To get high……

Best answer.

Many of the reasons above apply but I also ride much better when I'm warmed up at the trail head. I often (but not always) ride like crap when I start cold. My two worst crashes (tree strikes) in the past six months were near the top of a shuttle.

I too enjoy technical climbing challenges - and when I have finished a non-shuttle ride I feel great and even more deserving of that beer. I used to hate fireroad or road climbs as well but I have mellowed so I don't mind them so much anymore. Outgrowing my ADD maybe.

Sex improves from mountain biking? That's the first I've heard that one. I've read the opposite is true because of the pressure on your johnson.

Oct. 19, 2011, 10:08 a.m.

holy mother of god. the prospect of climbing PAST middle earth made me whimper a little

It made me whimper a little while doing it! it was definitely the hardest (though I don't believe biggest/longest) ride I did all year…. Oh yeah, and I'd totally do it again next year :D

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Oct. 19, 2011, 10:11 a.m.

i climb so i can look down my nose at those who don't

and impress that annoying australian girl

Awww you're so sweet :)

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding