Clear Cut on Cypress

Jan. 25, 2003, 7:05 p.m.

My boys and I were rippin one down mysterydownhill/treetv/stupid grouse today and when we came close to the new road that they have paved up there I looked over to the right and noticed much more light coming through the forest. Those assholes have shaved another section of forest to put up some more school sized single family dwellings.

If this doesn't stop there will be houses all the way up to coiler. How can anyone complain about the trails on the shore and at the same time justify a clear cut in plain sight of city. They don't even leave a single tree standing, I guess that's progress. If we put a new trail down one of the local hills we risk having it cut down after hours of work. I don't get it.

Just my thoughts

I'm not a racer, I'm a rider who happens to race - M.G.

Jan. 25, 2003, 7:12 p.m.

but what can we do?
it is west van, which seems to have zero tolerance..

Big Bike: Santa Cruz Bullit
Bigger Bike: Suzuki RM125

Jan. 25, 2003, 7:14 p.m.

Welcome to the human race. 1 leads to 2 which leads to 3 and so on, until you get :censored:

Kids!!….a moment of pleasure..a lifetime of pain.

Jan. 25, 2003, 8:14 p.m.

people have been bitching about the rainforest for years, and we still clearcut it, burn it, and pollute it. but i still think that someone should say something but at the same time saying something also kinda gives the city alot more of a headset of how bikers are still riding cypress despite them saying no :(

Jan. 26, 2003, 8:22 a.m.

Yah, that's the case everywhere… they're zoning our local riding area for houses now too :( There's just too many people in the world.

Banshee Bikes

Disobey

Jan. 26, 2003, 9:51 a.m.

That has been there for months. SuXoR.

Jan. 26, 2003, 10:01 a.m.

who deleted my post??????
like i said call up greanpeace and stir something up to save the trails

Jan. 26, 2003, 12:54 p.m.

They clear cutted a huge section of mountain where I live. If you are ever going out to chilliwack or something look to your left after wonderland and the petro can in abbotsford. Its huge. They havent hit our trails with the clear cutting yet I dont think.

alive as always

Jan. 26, 2003, 3:10 p.m.

Originally posted by Kevan
Fuck that makes me mad. Just the fact of how hard it is to build a trail and keep it standing is completely defeated by a clear cut and housing facillities. Makes NO sense to me. Is the city building the housing? Or did some one buy the land?

it makes perfect sense if you look at it from their perspective:
land = money

period

…if only they took a leaf out of captain planets book

no pun intended;)

Jan. 26, 2003, 3:24 p.m.

The road across stupid grouse has been there for about a year but it's only now that they are cutting and putting up houses. I wonder how long it will be before the people who live there complain about mtbr's screamin hootin and holloring as their rippin down that trail. I take groups of women riders there because it's a great trail for riders of different levels and they tend to make a lot of noise. Remember the noise complaints about lower ladies. The people in those houses were not to happy.

If you look over from the old buck parking lot u will see a bunch of new houses. The bottom of empress will be diverted after the rock drop and come out on old buck. I wonder how long until houses start creaping up seymour as well?

My original point was about trail building and I've stopped building on my new trail partly because I don't want to do all the work only to have it cut down and I'm not clear cutting anything!
We need some balance here.

I'm not a racer, I'm a rider who happens to race - M.G.

Jan. 26, 2003, 3:38 p.m.

sorry to say this but your shouldn't be building new trails on the shore. if its not on the shore then go right ahead

NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Jan. 26, 2003, 4:56 p.m.

Originally posted by chelle
**My boys and I were rippin one down mysterydownhill/treetv/stupid grouse today and when we came close to the new road that they have paved up there I looked over to the right and noticed much more light coming through the forest. Those assholes have shaved another section of forest to put up some more school sized single family dwellings.

If this doesn't stop there will be houses all the way up to coiler. How can anyone complain about the trails on the shore and at the same time justify a clear cut in plain sight of city. They don't even leave a single tree standing, I guess that's progress. If we put a new trail down one of the local hills we risk having it cut down after hours of work. I don't get it.

Just my thoughts **

The answer is simple. I will illustrate with examples.

A nice home in the "Cypress Park Estates"

Paid property taxes of $12,044.54 on an assessed value of $1,836,000 for land and buildings (interestingly this tax rate is lower than in a lot of municipalities on a taxes per $1,000 BCAA).

Hack up some land, the developer kicks in most of the development cost charges, pays for permits, engineering, blah blah, blah.. I'm sure DCCs are through the roof.

VS

damn I was gonna post a home for sale on East Whalley Ring Road but couldn't find one..

Anyways it's taxes. Build some exclusive lots and homes with a fantastic view (I was up on Cypress today and the few was amazing), and get a ton of money out of people living in the area… vs a few bucks from business licenses and taxes off the LBS.

All you need for riding is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.

Jan. 26, 2003, 5:15 p.m.

Landowners get mad at bikers for our trails, how they impact the environment, and then they sell the land to developers who clearcut it. They are hypocrites.

alive as always

Jan. 26, 2003, 6:15 p.m.

:(Cutting trees isn't cool at all
I'm gonna have to kick some ass now:mad:

Jan. 26, 2003, 11:39 p.m.

Oh, I think they stopped clear-cutting for good. Thought they jumped on the "selective logging" train…:(
If they did it for developmental reasons, get some group backup, like from Greenpeace, the Rain Forest Action Network or somebody like that..sorry to hear that. The mountains on the shore are sooo beautiful and precious…

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer