Cleaning your favourite trails

March 5, 2013, 3 p.m.

I just try to ride all the features at the moment, sometimes I say "guess I'll save that for next time" which gives me things to look forward to. How droll it must be when you clean everything in one go!!!

March 5, 2013, 3:04 p.m.

exploded. you get it done?

I did get it. I had been hitting Wardens on every Fromme ride and using the easier exit for a few weeks leading up to it. Was using it as 4King training, the hard exit is a ball buster to find traction.

March 5, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

Does taking a break count as putting a foot down, what about walking the up hills?

I don't think I've ever cleared a trail.

March 5, 2013, 3:55 p.m.

In 2010, my first year riding trails, it became my goal to clean Ladies. I reached that goal some time in the summer, with the awkward log crossing after the heron pond being the one that still gets me most often.

flickr

March 5, 2013, 3:59 p.m.

i doubt it could be "cleaned" top to bottom (at least not by me - way too many punch climbs) but the last time i rode xcellerator i made every crux move (i think) and switchback, though some took a few tries. probably ridden that trail 15 times. cleaned it on my rune; the dropper post really helped. it was a great feeling

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 5, 2013, 4 p.m.

Does taking a break count as putting a foot down, what about walking the up hills?

I don't think I've ever cleared a trail.

Real good point. Tech clean, endurance clean or both. Up and down would seem to apply.

F me the list for me is small if you say clip in at the truck and unclip when you get back to drink your beer. Almost non existent.

WTF, Over?

March 5, 2013, 4:07 p.m.

Still working on cleaning the climb from Mtn View park, up Lower Griffen, KOTS, Roadside to the 1st switchback. The big rooty power move at the bottom of Lower Griffen gets me every time.

March 5, 2013, 4:39 p.m.

I just try to ride all the features at the moment, sometimes I say "guess I'll save that for next time" which gives me things to look forward to. How droll it must be when you clean everything in one go!!!

I would like more trails with lots of features with no consequence for failure, that would next to impossible to clean except when you are on a really really good day
and I don't mean an extended hill climb like Lower Oil Can, but something like Bridal Path used to be in the 1980s and 1990s (but I am in favour of the new work on Bridal Bath because there are so many more people on it than 30 years ago)
so it is still Secret Trails like circa 1989

March 5, 2013, 4:58 p.m.

I'm working on It's Business Time. Gotta mental thing with the steepish ramp and I still run out of steam on a couple of the uphills. I recall cleaning some trail near Hooters at night back when we thought BLT lights were the shit. Went back about a week later in the day time and the exposure scared the crap out of me.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 5, 2013, 7:57 p.m.

I clean every trail the first time I ride it and every time after it. I'm just that good. In fact, the first time I hit Brutus, I casually threw down a backflip-tuck-no hander. I also end all of my rides with a chill can-can off the Toonie Drop. :rocker:

March 5, 2013, 9:19 p.m.

^ This isn't far from the truth for me*, I hit everything best first time or when its dark, as soon as I can see stuff or know whats coming I tense up and brake too much.

I consider myself one of the elite who can clear the Heron Pond (is this elite? please tell me it is) but I haven't actually managed it without shoulder checking the tree since the first time I did it.

*Minus the Brutus Gap, the tucked front flip, the chilled can-can and the toonie drop, obviously.

:scotland:

March 5, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

What is this Warden's climb? The shortcut that bypasses the 4th?

March 5, 2013, 9:39 p.m.

Bobsled.
Session 10.
Pretty techy at the start but mellows out as you near the top.

Dunno….Stuff like Heart Of Darkness float my boat these days and you could get down there on a buffalo.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 5, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

Ah yes, a thread for claiming hard….

These days, if I'm gonna do something, I will hit it first time rolling in, or I'm never gonna do it. If I stop and look at something, watch other people hit it first, I end up thinking about it waaaaay too much, and psych myself out.

I wonder if thats just an age thing. When we're younger if we just go for it and then getting older think more of the consequences and then decide not do it, or as we're older with more experience on hits do we know our abilities better and can make that decision quicker?? When I look at Jerry Willows or Andrew Shandro, they still huck, so some decisions are still being made obviously.

Not sure of the past but to get a complete stomp on 5th Horsemen and Heckyl[HTML_REMOVED]Jeckyl would be nice.

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

March 5, 2013, 11:22 p.m.

funny, i get more excited about cleaning uphill sections than i do down. every time i ride salamander/sticks'n stones and bottletop over to hyannis i get excited about cleaning a rock/root uphill section, or a steep uphill. my focus has changed, or maybe it's because of the people i ride with. but it's good.