Chainless trails

Jan. 6, 2021, 10:41 a.m.

Anyone here like to try and ride trails without using a single pedal stroke? I do it as a way to make easier trails more interesting. It makes me carry more speed through parts I might usually slow down a little and as well work the terrain to maintain speed. For instance, I try to ride high school league all the way to my car at Hyannis without pedalling. I can get close, but there is one hill that I have to give a pedal or two to get over.

Am I the only one who does this?

Jan. 6, 2021, 3:23 p.m.

Doesn't one of the Fivers on Fromme usually have a chainless category?

Jan. 6, 2021, 4:28 p.m.

Usually an Expresso stage

I need to try the highschool/hyannis one.

Jan. 7, 2021, 1 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

Usually an Expresso stage

I need to try the highschool/hyannis one.

Let me know if you make it all the way to your car. Its easier when the trails aren't soggy though.

Jan. 7, 2021, 9:32 a.m.

I'm gonna go a step further - I live just down the street, so I'm wondering if I can make it home. :)

Jan. 7, 2021, 11:14 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

I'm gonna go a step further - I live just down the street, so I'm wondering if I can make it home. :)

Awesome. Good luck! Let me know the secret if you make it.

Jan. 8, 2021, 10:14 a.m.

the first half of severed (before it goes properly down) is a fun no pedal / pumpy bit of trail. can't generate enough speed to get past the uphill bit at the JD turnoff, alas. guess one could be a dork & hop up that section, but i'm not quite *that* motivated...

Jan. 8, 2021, 2:46 p.m.

Yeah highschool is a good one. I'll often take a run at it, then no pedalling once you reach the first left hand berm..

Can't imagine how you'd do upper severed  (before the John Deere turnoff), that'd be insane, especially if you take the a line and not the ride around. You'd basically need to air that whole chunder section and the rock roll to hit that little bridge and immediate uphill with enough speed.

I'd love to see somebody do that. Not to sound like a jerk but I'm not convinced it's even possible.

Last edited by: Kenny on Jan. 8, 2021, 2:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 8, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

I snapped my derailleur coming onto 7th (at the Bookwus junction). I eneded up removing the derailleur as well as the chain (it was pissing rain and I was not into faffing around making a 1 speed...the wrong speed). Aside from a couple of hop on/off cyclocross style manoeuvres  on Leppard, and Griffen, I managed to get all the way down to End of Line without a problem...I even managed to keep up with my buddies. It was actually kinda fun, except when the pedal would spin around and slam into my shin.

Jan. 8, 2021, 5:33 p.m.

The only times I’ve gone chainless is in the bike park after tearing my derailer off in the bike park. Let’s just say more than once. I found though that it really helped learn to get off the brakes and let it go. Some of my best runs on Dirt Merchant and A-line were chainless.

Jan. 8, 2021, 7:14 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

The only times I’ve gone chainless is in the bike park after tearing my derailer off in the bike park. Let’s just say more than once. I found though that it really helped learn to get off the brakes and let it go. Some of my best runs on Dirt Merchant and A-line were chainless.

I suppose I really meant "chainless" not actually chainless. Some runs i just choose not to pedal and see if i can carry my speed to do the whole thing. I usually do it on less interesting trails because, as you say, it forces you to lay off the brakes and really work the trail.

Jan. 10, 2021, 10:33 a.m.

Lower Expresso.

Jan. 11, 2021, 1:59 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

the first half of severed (before it goes properly down) is a fun no pedal / pumpy bit of trail. can't generate enough speed to get past the uphill bit at the JD turnoff, alas. guess one could be a dork & hop up that section, but i'm not quite *that* motivated...

This one for me. but i will admit that you need to put a few pedals in after where c-buster peels off if you want to get anywhere.. Then its a game of see how far you can get...

Jan. 19, 2021, 8:23 a.m.

How about Neds as a (nearly) "no pedal" trail? Apart from the slight ride from the bridge over the river on the first third of the trail, all the way down seems it might be possible without pedaling,

Jan. 19, 2021, 8:42 a.m.

Empress Bypass

Boogie Nights? (Been a while since I rode it so not sure about that...)