CBC - what’s happening?

Sept. 9, 2020, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Posted by: mudrunner

Posted by: TheWasp

Had to do something to stave off the cat and mouse happening with the rangers and the loamers in there I guess.

Especially when some loamers are starting to have groomed berms and gold appear on them. wtf?

It's been discussed before, but with land managers seeming unwilling to allow new trail development on the shore, and continued growth in ridership, unauthorized building will flourish. Not blaming NSBMA here, it's the land managers, but what new trails have been built in last 5 years since GSM and Lower Expresso? Some awesome rebuilds, i.e. lower Digger. Then you look at a place like Squamish and how much new legal (and rogue) trails are built each year... again different land managers (and available space to build).

Interesting point (Asian Adonis comes to mind as well). 

It just seems that bermed corners are anathema to riding a loamer. Almost the opposite of Dales Trail.

Sept. 23, 2020, 1:42 a.m.

Yeah interesting point re Squamish. Would be great to get a take from someone on the inside. I can only think of the No Quarter climb trails on Fromme and Boogie Nights on Seymour as totally new. Oh plus the little Dickie on Severed. 

Asian, GSM, Penny Lane etc were also brand new but were from a little while ago during the old CMHC wild west days.

Sept. 23, 2020, 8:37 a.m.

I can only think of the No Quarter climb trails on Fromme and Boogie Nights on Seymour as totally new. 

Even Boogie Nights is like 4+ years old by now, right?

Sept. 23, 2020, 5:20 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I can only think of the No Quarter climb trails on Fromme and Boogie Nights on Seymour as totally new. 

Even Boogie Nights is like 4+ years old by now, right?

TF says opened 2016. I feel like that was a minor miracle that it got approved but I'm not in the know, just an assumption given how few trails are new. Also the trailbuilder really managed to make the absolute most of what they could work with, double win!

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/boogie-nights/

Sept. 23, 2020, 5:57 p.m.

Most of the new trails in Squamish are unsanctioned. It's just that many of the land owners don't object to trails being built. But for sure it's more 'mountain bike positive' when it comes to getting trails on Crown Land authorized. It helps that it's a M0n!ca free zone! (Is she still around?)

Sept. 24, 2020, 2:42 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Most of the new trails in Squamish are unsanctioned. It's just that many of the land owners don't object to trails being built. But for sure it's more 'mountain bike positive' when it comes to getting trails on Crown Land authorized. It helps that it's a M0n!ca free zone! (Is she still around?)

(Yes. She is.)

Oct. 1, 2020, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

It's a good sign when you see pics of the RSTBC rep (officer? manager?) out checking out new trails with a smile on his face with builders in Squamish. True there's lots of rogue building and new stuff is on crown or private land like  Pamplemouse, Hot Tuna, Mikis/Slippery, Pleasure etc. And for sure first world problems here complaining about the shore, but it certainly would be nice for builders to be able to do something new if they so desire.

Oct. 29, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

IMO, just go build boys/girls. Be smart about it, but build.

Also Burke and Squamish are MUCH better for building. They are the new "North Shore".

Oct. 30, 2020, 7:47 a.m.

I think it's remarkable that we have so much incredible wilderness adjacent to Vancouver and yet there's no trail infrastructure that links the three big mountains to each other. i.e. If you wanted to travel from Cypress to the Lions and around to Fromme or beyond. It's still remarkably segmented. Being able to do longer off-road traverses near the city would be really cool.

Oct. 30, 2020, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I think it's remarkable that we have so much incredible wilderness adjacent to Vancouver and yet there's no trail infrastructure that links the three big mountains to each other. i.e. If you wanted to travel from Cypress to the Lions and around to Fromme or beyond. It's still remarkably segmented. Being able to do longer off-road traverses near the city would be really cool.

I think the big challenge with that is that there are a few significant river crossings with limited ways to bridge them.  Moving between Seymour and Grouse/Fromme isn't bad with Twin Bridge restored and the Pipe bridge.  To get over to Cypress, you have to stay fairly high up and use the dam if you want to minimize road exposure.  I don't think there's any budget or wherewithal to build another pedestrian/cyclist bridge that connects trails between the mountains.

Oct. 30, 2020, 1:15 p.m.

probably smarter to invest $ in the actual trails and access to each mountain.

Oct. 30, 2020, 2:03 p.m.

Convince BC Parks and the Metro watershed to let bikes in and we'd get that.

Oct. 31, 2020, 9:06 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Though I guess right now with the huge uptick in people accessing forest land maybe it's more manageable if everyone is centered around well known starting points rather than scattered over so much more terrain.

Nov. 1, 2020, 7:50 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Keeping people out of our water supply is a good thing...

Nov. 1, 2020, 10:27 p.m.

We do the Triple every year, so there is infrastructure. The traverse limitation has more to do with geography. If you spend time running or hiking the trails, you'll see why it's not as conducive to riding.