Posted by: Coiler

Both articles are bad. I agree CBC totally misrepresents CJ's article by basically attacking her for what she didn't say. But I think CBC is really picking at the edge of the carpet here, and I don't think CJ's article was ignorant or problematic at all.

Her article seems to me to say: there is no elite clique of women's riders that are selecting each other for every event, but rather the best marketed riders are all invited to the events, and they just happen to be the same group as that (alleged) clique of women's riders. And if you want to be in the gang, here is how you can be better and get invited. I think it is kind of a gross, subtly narcissistic article, but its not wrong. Maybe I am being a bit over sensitive, but she's really saying the quiet part loud: the riders that get invited to big events are the ones that make corporations the most money. Be a better product for a corporation, and you'll go far.

...and for this you have to ride a lot, crash a lot and be at the right places at the right times and just show up, being a nice person might add that little extra to a cv.

Kept quiet but since this thread popped up and I read CJ's piece and her mentioning of Flat Out Days I had to think of what I have seen and experienced in Malmedy, Belgium with the Fest crew since 2016. Her piece might be a bit 'in your face' but the core message is true.

Last edited by: Mic on April 15, 2022, 2:17 a.m., edited 3 times in total.