CBC. Gonna get flamed...but oh well...

June 14, 2010, 11:31 p.m.

I'm definitely gonna hear an earful from the "don't dumb-down the Shore Crowd"… but hear goes.

After a couple of solid seasons, I feel like I'm a pretty capable rider now.

On CBC, I can flow onto the "high" woodwork at the start of the Hamster, and once and a while even make it around the tight corner and back to the main trail without leaving the wood.

I take the ladder entrance onto the Millenium log… (love that btw)

I'm not hucking off either of the big rocks…but I can get down the rest of the trail pretty well without too much struggle.

And then I get to that darned exit.

I've succeeded once or twice with either method. I've ridden the log and then the steep roll off the right at the end of the log…. and I've gone the straight-down-the chunder method.

But both of these still scare the crap out of me, and its usually feels a bit lucky when I do clean it without incident…and lately I've simply chicken and have been walking the exit. (is it just me, or has the straight-ahead exit gotten even gnarlier?)

I don't want to see either of these methods removed…but just wondering if there is any chance we'll ever see a slightly dumber 3rd option for the days when I've had a good run on the trail…but don't have the sack to finish it off? I know I'm not alone here. I've seen lots of folks climbing down that section… and even that can be a bit tricky at times.

On a related note. As probably the busiest, most popular trail on the Shore (I know… I know…) and a trail which gets a lot of love, and is "legal" and supported by the land-owner, I'm wondering if we'll ever see any new lines put in on CBC (ie alternative routes from top to bottom).

Just curious….

flame on.

June 14, 2010, 11:49 p.m.

Just ride to the end of the log and drop down on the rocks.

June 14, 2010, 11:49 p.m.

aint gonna happen.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

June 14, 2010, 11:51 p.m.

Just ride to the end of the log and drop down on the rocks.

Yeah….that's one of the methods I've done.

Funny thing: I did it okay a few times on my old beater bike (think it had 5 inches and a pretty steep HA)…but have yet to try it on my STD. LOL.

Once I do, I'll probably wonder why the hell I just wrote that post….

Naturally, your pic makes it look beyond easy.

What are you riding in that pic?

June 15, 2010, 12:11 a.m.

First time I ever rode that trail (2002?), I rode the chunder line right down the middle and wrecked. Didn't even see the other option to roll out further to the steeper smoother line. Someone pointed it out to me and I haven't tried the chunder line since. As shown above, it's smooth enough for a rigid bike, just ride it.

June 15, 2010, 1:13 a.m.

Naturally, your pic makes it look beyond easy.

you're not going to like the answer to that…..

June 15, 2010, 5:08 a.m.

The point is that you need to master these features, not seek out more easy options. That's the point of riding. Embrace your fear of gnarly features. Wear your armour and try them and crash as safely as you can. Eat shit often. Try other similar features to increase your comfort level. Then go back and hit the original ones again.

Then move on to the next scary thing.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 15, 2010, 7:33 a.m.

The point is that you need to master these features, not seek out more easy options. That's the point of riding. Embrace your fear of gnarly features. Wear your armour and try them and crash as safely as you can. Eat shit often. Try other similar features to increase your comfort level. Then go back and hit the original ones again.

this.

June 15, 2010, 8:15 a.m.

What happened to learning how to do it? Part of the joy of taking up a sport like this is the challenge is it not? I'm not trying to be an ass, but that's just the nature of the activity.

The first ride on the shore for me was in '97 and it was on Ladies. I was on a fully rigid and walked about 75% of the trail. I couldn't imagine people riding all of it. But I didn't simply walk away from it, by the end of the year I could ride almost all of it except for the big stupid.

The point? The rider has to adapt to the trail not the other way around. In my humble opinion of course.

June 15, 2010, 8:29 a.m.

Yup so true!

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

June 15, 2010, 8:31 a.m.

Awesome picture / skillz.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 15, 2010, 8:41 a.m.

a little kids bike with cantis that probably didn't work…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 15, 2010, 9:06 a.m.

you're not going to like the answer to that…..

a little kids bike with cantis that probably didn't work…

I learned from my Stairs of Despair mistake with the vintage bike and put in 15 minutes making sure the brakes work.

June 15, 2010, 9:11 a.m.

you should ride that in the 4 queens.

June 15, 2010, 9:32 a.m.

You can also just ride straight down the darn thing without too much difficulty. Just get drag your balls on your rear tire and give the front end a little push.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.