cbc as it happens interview with Valerie Ramsey

Feb. 5, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

I heard the interview with Valerie Ramsey (the rider that was bitten)tonight on CBC as it happens. Only the 2 parties involved know what really happened, but I thought she sounded pretty credible. She did admit that poking the other rider with her walking pole escalated the situation. I was completely disgusted to hear that she had been harassed and yelled at by a group of riders who had only heard one side of the story. What a bunch of bullies and cowards.

Feb. 5, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

link?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 5, 2015, 8:19 p.m.

I heard it too.

Whoever you boneheads are who harassed her on the trails, shame on you.

It takes two to tango, and Ms. Ramsey has admitted her complicity in the events between her and the (as far as I know still anonymous) mountain biker.

Ms. Ramsey has had the courage to speak publicly. And not only that, she has said something along the lines that virtually without exception, interactions between hikers and bikers on Fromme are respectful and friendly. So she is really in the same camp with those (most?) of us who think all this recent attention is overblown silliness.

As someone in another thread said: "I like this woman". Unfortunately, in the interview she said will no longer hike on Fromme - no doubt due to the harassment she has faced. I hope that with time everyone will forget all this, and she gets back out on the trails.

Feb. 5, 2015, 8:24 p.m.

link?

http://www.cbc.ca/player/AudioMobile/As%2BIt%2BHappens/ID/2652209986/

Go in to 8:39:00

Feb. 5, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/episode/2015/02/05/thursday-kingston-medical-officer-on-queens-course-omar-khadr-at-an-edmonton-university-measles-open/

Around 8:45ish

Feb. 5, 2015, 9:13 p.m.

So depressing. As you say those idiots shouting at her are an embarrassment regardless of what orginally occurred.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 5, 2015, 9:47 p.m.

would love to hear from the rider.

Feb. 5, 2015, 10:26 p.m.

I've met this woman (the hiker) on several occasions while riding down that area on Fromme. She has always been polite, talkative and I've never sensed any aggression from her. I posted similar information on a previous post on NSMBs FaceBook post on the issue, which was deleted for some reason. I find it very unfortunate that this issue occurred and that the media has (in my opinion) escalated it into this "war in the woods" and that she might not return to hike the trails she has for many years.

Feb. 5, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

I'm quite surprised that people would do this since most mtbr bikers I know are a class act.

THANKS Mountain Bike Community of douchebags!!!!! THANKS for everything!!!!

Lee Lau

Feb. 5, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

It is hard to attach any more value to one person's version than the other. However, I don't draw any assumption that a person is more or less violent based on age or the state of their health, regardless of what they claim. There is a clear gap between the two versions of the events.

What I think is most telling is if and how either party "uses" their version of events to further any agenda. I took note of how the interview ended with an assertion that there are "too may bikers". Hmmm, bikers seem to be the problem here…not the individual who is acknowledged to be an exception to the norm…the problem is too many bikers. Surely this is a problem that must be dealt with. I have yet to hear an interview with the biker. Will she point to "hikers" as the problem? Such a line of thinking leads us nowhere. We need better than this.

It did't help that CBC used the word "explosive" or some variation three times in the first 30 seconds, and then launched into a rather slanted story that ends with a focus on the overpopulation of bikers. Makes it sound like bikers are rabid rabbits in need of a cull.

While I don't buy one version of the events over another, I also don't buy this brand of crap journalism.

Feb. 6, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

Unfortunately, in the interview she said will no longer hike on Fromme - no doubt due to the harassment she has faced.

Didn't catch the interview but, ugh. Anyone else read this [HTML_REMOVED] have an urge to organise a lunch/bbq/picnic on fromme to say hi, meet [HTML_REMOVED] greet, [HTML_REMOVED] just generally put the notion of a 'war in the woods' to rest?

Feb. 6, 2015, 8:32 a.m.

At least this lady isn't hiding behind the media. Wonder if the rider will have the nerve to speak up on her behalf. Unfortunately it seems to late to let this issue die.

Considering how the NSMBA has done such a great job in upgrading the trails in that area its no doubt there are more riders there. They have even created a few parallel lines to separate users. Seems like the NSMBA is already pursuing the option of separating the users so why not work with them, as the most active group in the area, to continue this goal?

Where are the hiking groups working on trails and advocating for themselves?

Feb. 6, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

As far as "too many bikers"???? Both these incidents occurred on a weekday where I can ride for 2-3 hours and rarely come come across a single rider or hiker. Granted the weekends have more but the mountain is large enough for everyone…even on a busy weekend

Feb. 6, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

To me this whole situation does not seem like a biker vs hiker issue. It is just two people who should have walked away from a situation but did not. There was no "near miss" or collision between the two that warranted either response. There were multiple hikers and cyclists but it was only these two who could not play nice.

If the hiker had not jabbed her with the pole, the incident would have been a non issue.
If the biker had not gone back the next day specifically with the aim of confronting her / taking a photo, there would have been no escalation.

This type of thing happens every day; on the roads, in bars wherever if you really want to look.

Some people just don't know how to walk away and laugh at the little people who have no self control….

Feb. 6, 2015, 12:29 p.m.

^^^
this