Caps Bike Store - seriously????

May 13, 2011, 5:59 p.m.

Just not good business by Caps, and this does not surprise me at all.
On the other hand I needed to get a tire patched on my truck some time back and expected to pay $40 - $50, and was blown away when they told me it was no charge.
Its almost time for new tires now, and I will be buying them from CITY TIRE on Broadway street in Port Coquitlam.

Chainsmoker 8)

May 13, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

:clap: for different bikes in burnaby too, helped me out a few times with small things and not taken any money.

I went in there recently when I was heading to Burnaby Mountain, and while many shops have a dog, these guys had a fox!! It was well trained and the guy there even had it dancing on it's back legs!

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 13, 2011, 7:07 p.m.

Great shops, just make me feel guilty when I don't spend enough in the store. A good customer comes back again and again, and maybe I'm only buying a couple of tubes, or a pair of socks this time but that all adds up over time, and where do I tell people to go - not Westwood I'm afraid.

On a few visits I've gotten the, "we have only one left and it's just your size (it wasn't), and the sale won't last…" sales pitch, and then you can only demo it in the parking lot.

At the new store, I walked in looking for a Giant helmet, and they tell you they don't carry that much Giant stock and how unreliable Giant shipping is (I'm assuming Giant is dropping Caps Port Moody?), but they got something better by Bontrager, and the fellow asks the young kid working in the store "ain't these helmets great" and the kid goes "Fantastic!" I think they must rehearse this schtick. _.

In Poco, go to Secret Cycles down the street.

In Port Moody, go to Kinetik just up the hill.

If you are on the other side in Burnaby, hit Dif. Bikes.

And in Maple Ridge, Maple Ridge Cycles, I bogged down out there once, dropped into the store, and the fellow was super nice._

May 13, 2011, 7:59 p.m.

totally different experience for me at On Top.
Was riding past up lonsdale with my chain constantly skipping. finally stop and look down to see a dead and dying link bent and barely hanging together. spin back down a block to On Top, don't have any money, the mech who was working on another bike, takes a quick look and grabs the bike up into the stand, drops in a link and hands it back. I dig around for whatever change I have and come up with $1 or $2 and he thanked me 'cause it basically covered the cost of the link and I was off on my way for a good ride up Fromme. All within 3 minutes.

May 13, 2011, 8:31 p.m.

Not sure if this is off topic, but i think it would be kind of interesting if there was a "Good shops" thread/sticky. that way we as bikers could send buisness to those shops deserving of it and help our fellow riders go to a place with great customer service. Just a thought. I personally prefer Fanatyk Co.[HTML_REMOVED] Summit in whistler and Sacred ride in Nelson. Dunbar as well :) Had issues with BSP, they were clueless on working on my 06 888.

WhistlerActionCams.com

May 13, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

lol. i never liked caps. I walked into caps new west, my steer tube was tad short so i only had lower stem bolt tightened and top one undone, so i walked into caps and asked mechanic if there's anything he can do, he undos the bottom bolt and then goes, okay I can't do anything and I can't tighten that bolt back up or lend you the tool because we don't want to be liable lol. douche bags, While I could've just rode my bike back home, I had to push my bike holding the fork and stem so it would steer straight as i walk along. this was years ago though, back in 04? when i was a grom or early high school.

May 13, 2011, 9:03 p.m.

Caps lost my business many years ago and James and Lou at Obsession have earn it again and again.It's not the deals it's the service and the can I help you out attitude,

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

May 13, 2011, 9:54 p.m.

I think kindness should win over policy. Maybe I'm a lame old man now. Or maybe we've just given up. Now that'll open me up for some good flaming. Bring it.

I agree.
I also agree with their policy. I won't lend my chain break to anyone, but I will use it and help them out if I can. The mech should have seen an opportunity to go above and beyond and help someone out to generate a return customer, but he didn't. If he had, then a thread lauding him as being a good mechanic. Because he didn't I don't feel that the store should be a target of a bad service rant, but it is a good conversation piece.

May 13, 2011, 10:01 p.m.

I think kindness should win over policy.

I think you are 100% right in your rant. The shop wasn't busy and if they wanted money so bad, they could have said "hey, I can't do it for free but you pay next time you are nearby, it'll be $5 for my time" I bet you'd have paid them the next day. That is if the who issue boils down to money. But it seems it wasn't even that - it was a "policy". Where is common sense? A person needs help - then why not help?

May 14, 2011, 8:44 a.m.

Lived in coquitlam until a year ago, i hated Caps so much.
Overtime Sports, Gary and Bill would lend you their wives if you need them
BlackDog Bikes, They'd make fun of you for not riding a Giant, but still help you no matter what
AKA, god bless everyone from there, greatshop, greatguys, loved it
Secret Cycles, Friendly, helpful. Lent me some air one time

left my bike at friends house off broadway, needed some air, noticed MEC has a Repair Shop now, walked threw the store with my bike (stinking of rum) they SUPER HOT girl pumped my tire up for me, AND gave me her own Powerade

yo

May 14, 2011, 11:27 a.m.

Just not good business by Caps, and this does not surprise me at all.
On the other hand I needed to get a tire patched on my truck some time back and expected to pay $40 - $50, and was blown away when they told me it was no charge.
Its almost time for new tires now, and I will be buying them from CITY TIRE on Broadway street in Port Coquitlam.

some tire shops do offer free patching, like kal tire is one of them, only catch is you have to wait till they are through with other paid customers.

May 14, 2011, 1:58 p.m.

would your restaurant lend you a pot ;)

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

May 14, 2011, 2:09 p.m.

I agree.
I also agree with their policy. I won't lend my chain break to anyone, but I will use it and help them out if I can. The mech should have seen an opportunity to go above and beyond and help someone out to generate a return customer, but he didn't. If he had, then a thread lauding him as being a good mechanic. Because he didn't I don't feel that the store should be a target of a bad service rant, but it is a good conversation piece.

That is part of this we are missing. What was the mechanics doing? Where they doing time sensitive repairs?

some tire shops do offer free patching, like kal tire is one of them, only catch is you have to wait till they are through with other paid customers.

What is it about cycling that causes people who have no problem waiting when it comes to their car. But think that everything should be dropped when they have a bike problem.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 14, 2011, 4:47 p.m.

That is part of this we are missing. What was the mechanics doing? Where they doing time sensitive repairs?

:lol: :lol: Yeh maybe there was a kidney on ice that had to be delivered by a bike courier, and his bike needed sensitive modifications for the mission!!

May 14, 2011, 5:18 p.m.

are they out of business yet?

nobody is this dumb.