Caps Bike Store - seriously????

May 13, 2011, 12:42 p.m.

And this my friends, is why Caps and BSP won't get my money.

Of course there are a few shops that have always helped me out (Velocity langley, and Cranky's in Aldergrove come to mind.)

Good examples of great shops that will go the extra mile for you.
:rocker:

Why did you go into a store without any money?

That's the only thing that gets me. It's douchey for Cap's to not help, but a bit presumptuous to enter the store and expect something for free. At least offer $5 for their time, and hopefully they'll decline.

Maybe I'll head over to safeway and see if they'll give me some bread for free, to "foster good will". Give me a fucking break.

You must work for Caps.
:couple:

May 13, 2011, 1:13 p.m.

Obsession has fixed a bunch of small things for me for free, Lou kicks me out when I'm adamant that I'm gonna pay. Just sayin.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 13, 2011, 1:19 p.m.

:clap: for different bikes in burnaby too, helped me out a few times with small things and not taken any money.

May 13, 2011, 1:26 p.m.

He didn't go in with the 2 kids…they went to dq with mom.

I totally agree with the people who say if the store had lent him the tool or fixed it for free it would go a long way as far as customer service. However to go into a business and expect free use of a tool or free service then blast said business on the Internet for not doing that is wrong IMO.

What??! he didn't bring his kids in? That's one of the only things they are good for! (as well as making small talk with hot women, getting away with your kids "accidentally" stealing groceries, having to run when you're talking to someone boring and an excuse to look at puppies in a pet store)

Well then, he has no excuse.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

May 13, 2011, 1:45 p.m.

Yup Cap's has long going bad rep….
I stopped into the Bike Zone yesterday for help with inserting a fork spider? the peice that gets pinched into the steer tube that you thread the headset screw into…no charge, custome tool required.

I totally understand the no lending tools thing, but to not lend a hand to someone in direstraits with children to boot…shamefull. May this mechanice's beer be flat and tasteless all weekend long.

Props to Velocity Cycles, Bike Zone, North Shore Bike Shop, Cove and Different Bikes…they all have great people working there who get it. It's all about service.

Go Canucks !!!

May 13, 2011, 2 p.m.

Whitehonky - totally agree with you 100%.
I worked at a shop in Vic and the same situation happened. Father, kids bike, chain jammed, just out cruising. He asked to borrow a tool. I was slammed but I took 5 minutes, broke his chain and put it back together. While I was doing it he started asking about the bike (piece of crap) and how much longer his son could ride it. We talked about it for maybe two minutes. He came back 2 months later and bought a brand new Trek for his kid. Came back a year later and bought a full suspension bike.

So not only is it bad service but it is a lost sale for any type of retail to turn their back on good service.

My personal favorite story:
I was on a long road ride out the valley when my cleat came loose. I had just spent all my money on lunch and when I found the local bike shop the guy would not tighten my cleat for free and wanted to sell me a single allen key for $5. He figured I was stuck and desperate. After I explained my lack of funds he still would not help. There was not a single customer in the store and no bike in the workstand. I left, went over to the auto shop and asked for one and they had no problem lending me one although the guy was surprised they had one. Never ever purchased anything from that shop again and now they are out of business - go figure.

While sitting on the banks of the P

May 13, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

Nothing like going into caps purchasing a 2500 dollar bike and literally my first pedal stroke on flat ground snapped the chain. All I got is sorry, good luck!

May 13, 2011, 3:22 p.m.

I recently performed CPR on a handsome looking gal on the trails. Boy was she pissed off. Turns out she was just having a nap. :(

Wrong. Always.

May 13, 2011, 3:27 p.m.

Nothing like going into caps purchasing a 2500 dollar bike and literally my first pedal stroke on flat ground snapped the chain. All I got is sorry, good luck!

Sounds like when I bought a bike there a few years ago and when I went back in to see if they could size me up and sell me a better fitting stem they were all confused at the concept and looked through a minimal set of stems that they had and basically admitted they couldn't help me. So I went to Secret Cycles and they helped me out and made me feel like a human being instead of an account number. So I'm pretty loyal to Secret, those guys/gal/dog are great.

Wrong. Always.

May 13, 2011, 4:35 p.m.

Some companies need to understand that the biking community is in fact an actual community. Word gets around, and if you offer poor customer service by not willing to spend $0 assisting someone in need, then you obviously don't deserve my money.

First time I ever went into Different Bikes Burnaby I was treated damn well. Kevin, Ryan and Jordy are the reasons why I go back there whenever I need to purchase something. They've lent me plenty of tools to use in the shop, given me plenty of information and have even assisted me with parts that weren't purchased from them (gifts from the lady). They've easily earned a lifetime customer simply by being nice; which doesn't cost them a damn thing and sure as hell gains them a ton of karma.

May 13, 2011, 4:39 p.m.

Meh, if you're a bike mechanic and you don't spend a couple minutes to fix a poor guy's chain when it pops in front of your store then you're a fuckin idiot.

May 13, 2011, 4:48 p.m.

Ive pulled up to a kal tire with a flat, no tools in the car (a friends), and they fixed the flat, on the spot, no charge. Im not even a chick with big boobs!

This happened to me last week. I threw on the spare, drove to Kal Tire and asked them to fix the tire and swap the spare off. They did this, vacuumed my truck, armor alled the tires and didn't charge me a cent. That's good service.

May 13, 2011, 4:59 p.m.

This happened to me last week. I threw on the spare, drove to Kal Tire and asked them to fix the tire and swap the spare off. They did this, vacuumed my truck, armor alled the tires and didn't charge me a cent. That's good service.

Yup. I think it's a pretty common occurrence. When it came to buy tires, I didn't have to think much about where to go. Changing that one flat for me got them $700 in revenue a few months later.

May 13, 2011, 4:59 p.m.

Easy to do when you labour charges at auto shops are higher then bike shops.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 13, 2011, 5:08 p.m.

Bet this mentality at the shop is fuelled by management and owners. Worked at Kingston Source for Sports now gone forever. The owners where always bitching staff spent to much time helping customers or pottential customers. Funnily enough all thos potential customers I helped while being bitched at came back and bought stuff.

Still love the fact I got a case of Guinness back in 2009 for helping that guy out with the fork problem. Steve whined about the long distance charge to Marzocchi Canada for a $1.50 part. He wanted to wait 2 weeks for Norco. 3 days later part was here and fork was working. 2 days later the guy came back spent $200 on clothing and gave me a case of Guinness .

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/