Caps Bike Store - seriously????

May 12, 2011, 11:39 p.m.

It's very common for shops to restrict tool use as a policy and rightfully so. A chain break is surprisingly easy to misuse, and I have seen people break them through stupidity. Now, I'm not saying that you are unable to use a chain break, but some people aren't, and they dont know that you can if you run in and ask to borrow their tool.

Tools cost money, shops don't make lots of that, service is where we make our lively hood. Now, if they gave you attitude thats something else, but they can't lend out tools to everyone who comes in and asks, it's understandable.

Comparing borrowing a tire pump is like comparing an air hose in an autoshop, comparing allen keys is like wrenches in an auto shop (you're hard pressed to get those often at auto shops), but a chain break is closer to….an air wrench….we dont have those coming out of our noses.

May 12, 2011, 11:43 p.m.

I was denied the use of a chain tool in Florence by the same shop I had just organized 14 people to rent bikes from for a week. They said their shop was too busy to help me with the bike I had purchased in Rome, and I would have to book an appointment. Basically forced to buy a $20 chain breaker, which I carry with me to this day. For the number of chains I have put back together for people with that thing this year alone, it was worth the money, but damn was I unhappy at the time.

flickr

May 13, 2011, 1:01 a.m.

It's a shame Chris is gone, he probably woulda' done it for you even if he was busy.

May 13, 2011, 7:14 a.m.

Why did you go into a store without any money? Expecting someone to do something for you for free is asking too much, you should have not expected to get free service/use of tools just because you need them.
I'm sure they have had enough people running away with their tools to need that kind of policy in the first place, unless you have been a good customer for a long time, I don't think you have much to complain about.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 13, 2011, 7:18 a.m.

Why did you go into a store without any money? Expecting someone to do something for you for free is asking too much, you should have not expected to get free service/use of tools just because you need them.
I'm sure they have had enough people running away with their tools to need that kind of policy in the first place, unless you have been a good customer for a long time, I don't think you have much to complain about.

^^although it sux….i have to agree.

May 13, 2011, 7:23 a.m.

There are shops out there that have P.O.S. codes for putting Locktite on to the likes of fender bolts.

Have you seen the price of locktite??? ;)

I can understand them having that policy for having customers use tools then breaking them. That happens enough with ham fisted sales staff let alone random dudes off the street.

But yea… a chain breaker? Shoulda let you use it.

May 13, 2011, 7:46 a.m.

Comparing borrowing a tire pump is like comparing an air hose in an autoshop, comparing allen keys is like wrenches in an auto shop (you're hard pressed to get those often at auto shops), but a chain break is closer to….an air wrench….we dont have those coming out of our noses.

i'd like to agree with you, but i can't - i have loaned my bike pump to random trail riders twice, and both times they got broken (with no offer of a replacement). i only do this for people i know now.

so… i can kind of see why Caps has that policy. on the other hand, fixing a chain takes what, 10 minutes max? even if the mech was busy it would have done a lot to foster goodwill by helping the OP out (as opposed to loaning the tool).

note to the OP - maybe carry tools next time in a small pack? a chainbrake doesn't weigh all that much.

May 13, 2011, 8:03 a.m.

on the other hand, fixing a chain takes what, 10 minutes max?

30 seconds if it's being done in a "I'm super busy so can't spend time removing twisted / stiff links, and your chain might be too short for some gear ratios but at least you can pedal home" sort of way.

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 13, 2011, 8:22 a.m.

Maybe I'll head over to safeway and see if they'll give me some bread for free, to "foster good will". Give me a fucking break.

May 13, 2011, 8:29 a.m.

When I worked at Bike Cellar and at West Point back in the day, we would not lend tools as most were owned by the individual mechanics. However, if I was not too busy, I would have said I won't lend the tool but (noticing a probably nice bike and potential new customer) I would have offered to fix it for the customer for free.

This post proves the axiom: A satisfied customer tells no one, a dissatisfied customer tells ten.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 13, 2011, 9:08 a.m.

There are shops out there that have P.O.S. codes for putting Locktite on to the likes of fender bolts.

Some shops charge .25 each for cable ties.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=632420

These items don't grow on trees ya know.

And a good shop should have fixed it for free. Pick your battles, and the mechanic picked the wrong one.

May 13, 2011, 9:14 a.m.

These items don't grow on trees ya know.

Very true, but it's better to include these costs as part of a tune up etc, or absorb them as goodwill, than to look a customer in the eye and ask 50c for a blob of Locktite IMHO. Anyway, I've got Locktite, shop rags and spoke prep to use so I'm outta here!

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 13, 2011, 9:15 a.m.

I'm pretty sure my shop has a little cardboard box of shitty tools that other people can use for minor stuff. Haven't been there for too long though due to being able to turn a wrench.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

May 13, 2011, 9:25 a.m.

I totally expected this discussion to go this way, with some not being too supportive of my rant, but I needed to vent.

Lady Gravity… Yes, we all know that we should carry tools all the time. But when you've got a 5 year old and 7 year old all geared up, got their CamelBak's on, got their helmets and gloves on, finally got your bike out, got their bikes out of the garage… some things just don't fall into place for a ride over to the local DQ.

I 'sort of' get the policy thing. I think there's a personal and moral assessment of each situation that's not too hard to process. And it's Caps, so it's not like they were busy or anything.

I worked at 2 shops over 9 years, and we never hesitated to lend out tools that cost us less than $10. It bought way more than $10 in long-term good will. Even if a buddy came in (rim brake days) with a rim so blown, he could not spin it home on a commute. No, we wouldn't tweak it to perfectly true, but damn, we'd straighten him out so he could get home. Needless to say, you can guess where he returned for the new wheel.

I think there is such thing as trail karma and worth the risk of a tube or a pump. How many times have you not run across some kid with no tools on the trail with a flat? What kind of dumbass would pass him up? They might not get my tube, but I've always got a patch kit, and 10 minutes, some glue, my pump, and he's stoked. On one occassion, I did leave a tube behind. Buddy had no money, took my address. I expected nothing. A few days later, 2 tubes lying outside my door. Another day, met a guy on CBC that had gored his leg open pretty bad. I had a medi-kit. We left him tape, antiseptic, suture strips, gauze. Again, he asked for my address. The next week, full replacement kit in the mail.

I think kindness should win over policy. Maybe I'm a lame old man now. Or maybe we've just given up. Now that'll open me up for some good flaming. Bring it.

May 13, 2011, 9:29 a.m.

Maybe see how many auto repair places will lend you tools or fix it for free because you're in a bind.

Ive pulled up to a kal tire with a flat, no tools in the car (a friends), and they fixed the flat, on the spot, no charge. Im not even a chick with big boobs!