Can you use Trailforks and keep rides from appearing on the Heat Map by marking as private...

May 28, 2021, midnight

The Thin Bro Line cracks!

May 31, 2021, 8:13 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Mudrunner wasn't the only one to call him out.... when I saw the IG post, there was at least one public comment pointing out that people had been asked to stay off Fromme that day.

Yeah that's fine, but like I've said a few times I'm not gonna out someone without proof and when I check his IG feed there was nothing there.

June 3, 2021, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

I saw Jesse M and Remi G at the bottom of Seymour with a few others and they said they were going to do the triple crown on Saturday and knew Fromme was closed.  Another RM rider (ambassador) had a full vid with Gully down an unsanctioned trail and fortunately caught flack from many people and the higher ups at RMB.  You have to call out their shit when stuff like this happens.  Not hard to turn Strava off and IG.

Except when the whole point is the gram!

June 6, 2021, 4:50 p.m.

Strava warriors don't seem to be the only culprits. There's another popular/powerful route tracker with the ski touring crowd. I've noticed some very fresh North Shore Loam appearing as actual trails on some of their map layers. Its seems that if people record their route and don't specifically have them setup to be private, the route will eventually be mapped out permanently for the world to see. I was able to figure out who recorded a couple of those routes, reached out and suggested they delete those tracks or set them to private.  I think this Tracker is used pretty extensively by SAR and Land Managers, giving them a headstart to sniffing out building.

June 7, 2021, 9:01 a.m.

Another RMB 'ambassador' logged a ride on a trail that I had closed for major work and wanted the dirt to firm up. I'd marked the trail as 'closed' on TF but of course not everyone (including me) is going to look on TF before a ride. So I piled logs along the whole of the climb into the trail and across the entrance to the actual work. Looked like him and presumably his Bros lifted their bikes over the whole logged section and still dropped into my soft trail work when they could have at least ridden around it..... These company's need to stick a bomb under their riders and start promoting responsible riding before areas get closed down.

June 7, 2021, 3:05 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Another RMB 'ambassador' logged a ride on a trail that I had closed for major work and wanted the dirt to firm up. I'd marked the trail as 'closed' on TF but of course not everyone (including me) is going to look on TF before a ride. So I piled logs along the whole of the climb into the trail and across the entrance to the actual work. Looked like him and presumably his Bros lifted their bikes over the whole logged section and still dropped into my soft trail work when they could have at least ridden around it..... These company's need to stick a bomb under their riders and start promoting responsible riding before areas get closed down.

Well said. I agree %100.

June 7, 2021, 5:11 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

This.  Why should Joe Weekend not ride trails that are closed/private/illegal/during a pandemic when RAD BRAH SIC BOI is stacking hella footy on the gramz for his sp0nzors for the world to see? It becomes a 2 tiered system and all around bad optics.  

But this is also coming from the same industry that's heavily pushing mtn e-bikes and just hoping everything figures itself out so ¯\(ツ)

June 8, 2021, 1:29 a.m.

For what it's worth I've seen some of the RM guys post Strava logs with DS trails, some unmarked stuff on Cypress and even Trespasser in the past lol. Also saw the insta posts with the triple crown Strava a few weeks back. I knew of the existence of all of those trails but not exactly where they were, now I do and possibly so do many others and this discovery was not "organic" through the builders, friends of builders etc. DS in particular seems to have so much instagram content posted in the last couple years... it's just blatant when you see a succession of story posts that end with pedaling out Indian River Road to Parkgate etc.

June 8, 2021, 9:06 a.m.

Recently I received an email from WORCA. The weekly update and invite for the virtual toonie. The image of the route from Trailforks showed four unsanctioned trails in grey. These trails do not show up on the regular Trailforks App so I assume that there is a special version for trail associations. Some of the trails shown are pretty well known but only to those that are “in the know”. I also know from speaking with certain people that WORCA is not happy with a few of these trails because of where they are constructed and who has authority on those sections of land. I know of these trails because I hike around off trail a lot and I see things, hear chainsaws and go look.

June 8, 2021, 3:15 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Recently I received an email from WORCA. The weekly update and invite for the virtual toonie. The image of the route from Trailforks showed four unsanctioned trails in grey. These trails do not show up on the regular Trailforks App so I assume that there is a special version for trail associations. Some of the trails shown are pretty well known but only to those that are “in the know”. I also know from speaking with certain people that WORCA is not happy with a few of these trails because of where they are constructed and who has authority on those sections of land. I know of these trails because I hike around off trail a lot and I see things, hear chainsaws and go look.

Canadaka can obviously explain better, but I believe regions/zones have admins (typically from local trail association and/or land owners/managers) who have visibility into "sensitive" trails which are on TF but do not show on the map to regular users. As he said, the admins or TF themselves can either mark individual trails (which have been mapped) as sensitive to hide them or use polygons to setup exclusion zones.

June 8, 2021, 6:11 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I know of these trails because I hike around off trail a lot and I see things, hear chainsaws and go look.

there are no secret trails if you are a dog walker