Can you use Trailforks and keep rides from appearing on the Heat Map by marking as private...

May 26, 2021, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: syncro

The sponsors don't care, particularly the local ones with "cred".

The market rewards this behaviour so they'll keep it up until it doesn't.

That's were "we" come in. We need to make it so it isn't rewarded, so it's not cool. If enough people object then the sponsors might pay attention. While our current media age is fraught with issues, it also has the power to bring poor behaviour to heel.

And yet, with all the people on this board that know who he and the company are they still haven’t been named. 

Looks like the Thin Bro Line is holding up.

I guess they don't want to look uncool for talking about things they think are uncool. Is that uncool?

May 26, 2021, 5:10 p.m.

Posted by: idle

Posted by: shoreboy

I believe his offending IG posts have now been removed? Perhaps someone out there is listening.

It was posted as a 'story,' which are temporary as far as I understand.  There is a new story posted now, so the one of their triple is gone.

"Stories" on Instagram are there for 24 hours. While the loamer entrance in question was a "story" (with the actual caption "because #Strava"), there was also a standard IG post with several images, hashtags, and an image of the Strava mapping/data. That does not have a time limit....it is only removed voluntarily.  I looked today and the post has been removed.  I am not on Strava, so not sure if that's still publicly available.

But the post was up for over 3 days...which is long enough in the IG life-cycle that all 38.5K followers get it at the top of their feed. There was no mention of the original post or any follow-up addressing the Fromme bear closure, non-essential travelling, responsibility etc... My direct question did not get answered...just outright ignored. Since he posted this all on social media and his account is not private, I can't see why calling him out would been an issue...I mean, people often pray for their content to go viral. Isn't that the point of social media?  

But sometimes the internet is a vicious/vindictive place, so I would like to see some sort of voluntary response by him and/or his sponsors instead of calling him out just yet. Something that addresses the issue and let's people know it's not cool to ignore trail closures for your personal pleasure and benefit (lets face it...posting as an influencer means there are benefits to your actions...also consequences), that non-essential travel during a pandemic shouldn't be flaunted (Squamish made a big deal of asking everyone to stay away....and vice versa), and that such action just rubbed it in the face of all of us who respected the access to our own trails enough to give Fromme a pass for a few days and alter our plans. 

Ignoring the issue won't fix it. I suspect he (or someone he knows) may read this and make it right.

May 26, 2021, 5:20 p.m.

The sponsors don't care, particularly the local ones with "cred".

The market rewards this behaviour so they'll keep it up until it doesn't.

That's were "we" come in. We need to make it so it isn't rewarded, so it's not cool. If enough people object then the sponsors might pay attention. While our current media age is fraught with issues, it also has the power to bring poor behaviour to heel.

And yet, with all the people on this board that know who he and the company are they still haven’t been named. 

Looks like the Thin Bro Line is holding up.

I already mentioned Rocky Mountain and in another post I mentioned the pro circuit that is affiliated. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist at this point. If he hadn't deleted his posts, I would have no problem throwing his name out there. I am plenty pi$$ed that he didn't have the balls to respond to my direct question about the Fromme closure. But as I alluded to in my previous post, the lynch mob mentality makes it more difficult to get an open discussion and explanation...so given that the first step was taken (deleting IG posts), I would expect that there might be a public explanation/apology for putting his own gain ahead of our trail access and community . If not. Game on.

May 26, 2021, 6:14 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

I already mentioned Rocky Mountain and in another post I mentioned the pro circuit that is affiliated. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist at this point. If he hadn't deleted his posts, I would have no problem throwing his name out there. I am plenty pi$$ed that he didn't have the balls to respond to my direct question about the Fromme closure. But as I alluded to in my previous post, the lynch mob mentality makes it more difficult to get an open discussion and explanation...so given that the first step was taken (deleting IG posts), I would expect that there might be a public explanation/apology for putting his own gain ahead of our trail access and community . If not. Game on.

I am not a rocket scientist but I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip wagon either. I had a search using the parameters you'd listed in this thread (the pro circuit wasn't mentioned in this thread) and came up with nothing, but by that point I guess the offending posts had been taken down already which is good as the message seemed to have gotten through. 

Besides the riders I think we also need to lean on the sponsors as well, as the sponsors decide where there dollars go and that could have more of an affect on riders' behaviour.

May 26, 2021, 6:29 p.m.

Posted by: idle

It was posted as a 'story,' which are temporary as far as I understand.  There is a new story posted now, so the one of their triple is gone.

"Stories" on Instagram are there for 24 hours. While the loamer entrance in question was a "story" (with the actual caption "because #Strava"), there was also a standard IG post with several images, hashtags, and an image of the Strava mapping/data. That does not have a time limit....it is only removed voluntarily.  I looked today and the post has been removed.  I am not on Strava, so not sure if that's still publicly available.

But the post was up for over 3 days...which is long enough in the IG life-cycle that all 38.5K followers get it at the top of their feed. There was no mention of the original post or any follow-up addressing the Fromme bear closure, non-essential travelling, responsibility etc... My direct question did not get answered...just outright ignored. Since he posted this all on social media and his account is not private, I can't see why calling him out would been an issue...I mean, people often pray for their content to go viral. Isn't that the point of social media?  

But sometimes the internet is a vicious/vindictive place, so I would like to see some sort of voluntary response by him and/or his sponsors instead of calling him out just yet. Something that addresses the issue and let's people know it's not cool to ignore trail closures for your personal pleasure and benefit (lets face it...posting as an influencer means there are benefits to your actions...also consequences), that non-essential travel during a pandemic shouldn't be flaunted (Squamish made a big deal of asking everyone to stay away....and vice versa), and that such action just rubbed it in the face of all of us who respected the access to our own trails enough to give Fromme a pass for a few days and alter our plans. 

Ignoring the issue won't fix it. I suspect he (or someone he knows) may read this and make it right.

I actually didn't see the post, only the story.  Both RM team members posted a story, so the audience was potentially larger than the 38k.

I understand the situation may be a bit different in Squamish with respect to trail access and building, but when riding outside your local spot (where you should have a good understanding of the rules/etiquette) you should take extra precautions to not publicize trails that aren't on maps.  There have been plenty of videos from areas, Squamish in particular lately, featuring riding on unmarked trails and clues on how to find them if you're paying attention, even if you're not familiar with the area.  It's a shame that more care isn't taken when publishing content like this.

May 26, 2021, 6:46 p.m.

Your optimism is a breath of fresh air, thank you!

May 26, 2021, 7:03 p.m.

I am not a rocket scientist but I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip wagon either. I had a search using the parameters you'd listed in this thread (the pro circuit wasn't mentioned in this thread) and came up with nothing...

Maybe it's the brandy man.

May 26, 2021, 8:58 p.m.

I don't think the triple ride was public on his Strava, but there is another ride from last week in a BC Parks "No Biking" area.  I know people ride there almost daily, but, as a pro, you'd think he'd put some effort into not publicizing it.

May 26, 2021, 9:55 p.m.

There's bikers riding hiking only trails - even one guy on this board said it's legit when it's not. The biking community will suffer from this lack of respect.

Oh, and:

https://vimeo.com/98973111

Last edited by: switch on May 26, 2021, 9:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 9:02 a.m.

I am not a rocket scientist but I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip wagon either. I had a search using the parameters you'd listed in this thread (the pro circuit wasn't mentioned in this thread) and came up with nothing, but by that point I guess the offending posts had been taken down already which is good as the message seemed to have gotten through. 

Besides the riders I think we also need to lean on the sponsors as well, as the sponsors decide where there dollars go and that could have more of an affect on riders' behaviour.

You need to up your search game. I did the same thing and found three names...two of which were involved in that ride.

It would be nice to see some of those sponsorship dollars and awareness were re-allocated to trail maintenance/etiquette and/or the North Shore Black Bear Society.

May 27, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

Posted by: switch

There's bikers riding hiking only trails - even one guy on this board said it's legit when it's not. The biking community will suffer from this lack of respect.

Oh, and:

https://vimeo.com/98973111

If it wasn't for bikers, there would be no trails for you hikers to hike. That trail on Vimeo was built for by a deceased biker but you think it's hiking only?

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on May 27, 2021, 9:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

You need to up your search game. I did the same thing and found three names...two of which were involved in that ride.

It would be nice to see some of those sponsorship dollars and awareness were re-allocated to trail maintenance/etiquette and/or the North Shore Black Bear Society.

I couldn’t find it either yesterday based on the crumbs the knowledgeable people have felt inspired to leave here.

I guess lots of us need to us our search game.

May 27, 2021, 10:35 a.m.

Searching ain't rocket science!

https://www.bikes.com/en/riders

May 27, 2021, 11:24 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Searching ain't rocket science!

https://www.bikes.com/en/riders

My search game is fine. I found the rider but the post in contention had already been removed - which is what I was looking for. I mean FFS, I even said in my rocket scientist post that "by that point I guess the offending posts had been taken down." Does nobody actually read the posts they quote or refer to?

May 27, 2021, 11:50 a.m.

@synco: my comment was a direct response to Tashis post...I didn't quote yours deliberately 😉