Can you use Trailforks and keep rides from appearing on the Heat Map by marking as private...

May 27, 2021, 12:09 p.m.

yeah, but we're both saying the same thing.

May 27, 2021, 12:16 p.m.

I think tashi was referring to the original post as well.  

In some ways "outing" the offender may be best because if a few dozen people all start crawling over these peoples IG posts to find the info first hand, it just ends up feeding the algorithm.  As PT Barnum said "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

May 27, 2021, 12:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: mudrunner

I am not a rocket scientist but I didn't just fall off the back of the turnip wagon either. I had a search using the parameters you'd listed in this thread (the pro circuit wasn't mentioned in this thread) and came up with nothing, but by that point I guess the offending posts had been taken down already which is good as the message seemed to have gotten through. 

Besides the riders I think we also need to lean on the sponsors as well, as the sponsors decide where there dollars go and that could have more of an affect on riders' behaviour.

You need to up your search game. I did the same thing and found three names...two of which were involved in that ride.

It would be nice to see some of those sponsorship dollars and awareness were re-allocated to trail maintenance/etiquette and/or the North Shore Black Bear Society.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Searching ain't rocket science!

https://www.bikes.com/en/riders

My search game is fine. I found the rider but the post in contention had already been removed - which is what I was looking for. I mean FFS, I even said in my rocket scientist post that "by that point I guess the offending posts had been taken down." Does nobody actually read the posts they quote or refer to?

I see... you were referring to the IG post...I am referring to a google search of who might qualify.

May 27, 2021, 12:49 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I couldn’t find it either yesterday based on the crumbs the knowledgeable people have felt inspired to leave here.

I guess lots of us need to us our search game.

I should have been clearer...if you search Google the answer is right there. Just three bits of info. Rocky Mountain, EWS, Team

May 27, 2021, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

Posted by: switch

There's bikers riding hiking only trails - even one guy on this board said it's legit when it's not. The biking community will suffer from this lack of respect.

Oh, and:

https://vimeo.com/98973111

If it wasn't for bikers, there would be no trails for you hikers to hike. That trail on Vimeo was built for by a deceased biker but you think it's hiking only?

We all know Switch's motivations, and can take that with a healthy grain of salt. That said, the vimeo vid he posted is complete douchery by that Dean guy. Obvious location for anyone who know's Seymour half-well. This is a great example of the issue at hand. Everyone clamoring for attention on social media without first thinking of what the right thing to do is.

May 27, 2021, 1:13 p.m.

I see... you were referring to the IG post...I am referring to a google search of who might qualify.

With just the Rocky info it's easy to guess who it might have been, but guessing who it might have been is speculative and unethical. I am not going to speculate on someone's bad trail etiquette without substantive proof. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being named in some speculative internet post about something bad you might have done when there is no proof.

May 27, 2021, 1:23 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

We all know Switch's motivations, and can take that with a healthy grain of salt. That said, the vimeo vid he posted is complete douchery by that Dean guy. Obvious location for anyone who know's Seymour half-well. This is a great example of the issue at hand. Everyone clamoring for attention on social media without first thinking of what the right thing to do is.

The worst part about that vid is not the location but the fucking shitty riding and rear wheel skidding down almost the entire trail. That's the type of riding that blows trails out and is of course exactly why those sorts of trails shouldn't be advertised by popular public figures.

May 27, 2021, 1:26 p.m.

With just the Rocky info it's easy to guess who it might have been, but guessing who it might have been is speculative and unethical. I am not going to speculate on someone's bad trail etiquette without substantive proof. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being named in some speculative internet post about something bad you might have done when there is no proof.

Did you check your PMs from yesterday?

May 27, 2021, 1:41 p.m.

@syncro

I'm gonna have to call you out on this. Several posters in this thread (and I'm one of them) SAW the evidence on IG so there's no "might" involved.

Anyway, it's no longer there whether by design or whether that's how IG works (I'm an IG noob so no idea whats happened to the original post) so, I guess, we can put this to bed now...

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on May 27, 2021, 1:41 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2021, 1:50 p.m.

to be fair that Vimeo vid is from 7 years ago.....still shouldnt be posted.   I saw IG stories for said EWS riders as well with strava map...it was on saturday when Fromme was closed.  It is my understanding that stories disappear unless saved with a name.

May 27, 2021, 1:56 p.m.

Did you check your PMs from yesterday?

I did, but we're not talking about what was in a pm that was after the fact, we're talking about what was being discussed on a public internet forum. The discussion was about a specific IG post and some spawncered riders supposedly from Rocky (the EWS tidbit was in another thread). When the info available in this thread got checked against IG accounts the described IG post was nowhere to be found. So two conclusions came out that. The first is that the rider in question got the message from your DM and took down the offending post. Great! Hopefully they learn from it and don't make the same mistake again. If they do and the proof is at hand then flame on. The second is that a certain rider fit the suggested profile but with no proof it would be unethical to out them on their suspected. Both of those are reasons why even though I know who this is I haven't named them in the thread. I'm not going to play a role in tarnishing someone's rep and potentially affect their ability to earn an income based on speculation.

This whole discussion is a bit convoluted, but what should stand is that bad trail etiquette needs to be kept in check. More so when it's public figures. However, A principle I have is to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time they're caught "breaking the rules". So even though someone should know better, I think it's better to cut them some slack and suggest it doesn't happen again. I think you did the right thing by DM'ing the rider in question and they've done the right thing by taking down the post. Time will tell if it needs to go any further.

May 27, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

@syncro

I'm gonna have to call you out on this. Several posters in this thread (and I'm one of them) SAW the evidence on IG so there's no "might" involved.

Anyway, it's no longer there whether by design or whether that's how IG works (I'm an IG noob so no idea whats happened to the original post) so, I guess, we can put this to bed now...

The problem with that is the ole "I read it on the internet so it must be true" factor. You're just a name on screen and your claim of seeing the post in question cannot be confirmed without proof. I don't know if you might have a personal grudge against the rider in question or are just out to cause shit, but people say false things all the time behind the anonymity of the internet (I'm not saying that's the case here). When I looked for the IG post in question it wasn't there, so AFAIK the person in question may or may not have done what they were accused of. The point is that without some sort of proof that one can and is willing to share, it's not right to accuse someone of something they might have done.

Re IG, posts stay up forever or until the owner deletes them and stories stay up for 24hr and then they automatically get deleted.

May 27, 2021, 2:20 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I couldn’t find it either yesterday based on the crumbs the knowledgeable people have felt inspired to leave here.

I guess lots of us need to us our search game.

I should have been clearer...if you search Google the answer is right there. Just three bits of info. Rocky Mountain, EWS, Team

That’s the exact info I used and couldn’t draw a conclusion solid enough to base an accusation on. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

May 27, 2021, 3:03 p.m.

This whole discussion is a bit convoluted, but what should stand is that bad trail etiquette needs to be kept in check. More so when it's public figures. However, A principle I have is to give people the benefit of the doubt the first time they're caught "breaking the rules". So even though someone should know better, I think it's better to cut them some slack and suggest it doesn't happen again. I think you did the right thing by DM'ing the rider in question and they've done the right thing by taking down the post. Time will tell if it needs to go any further.

Mudrunner wasn't the only one to call him out.... when I saw the IG post, there was at least one public comment pointing out that people had been asked to stay off Fromme that day.

Last edited by: PaulB on May 27, 2021, 3:03 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 27, 2021, 6:59 p.m.

I saw Jesse M and Remi G at the bottom of Seymour with a few others and they said they were going to do the triple crown on Saturday and knew Fromme was closed.  Another RM rider (ambassador) had a full vid with Gully down an unsanctioned trail and fortunately caught flack from many people and the higher ups at RMB.  You have to call out their shit when stuff like this happens.  Not hard to turn Strava off and IG.