Calling out UBC pumptrack/ dirtjumpers

Aug. 24, 2011, 11:30 a.m.

So I've just moved back in to UBC and went to go for a pump track ride when I find out that the pump track and all jumps have been taken down. Sad day for me as the pump track was my source for keeping sane during the school year and finals period. Anyways, my question is not why they tore them down, but where can we dig/ ride now? Are there any other spots within riding distance from campus that are hidden enough and that you wouldn't mind me coming to ride at? Or something that I can start up. Im willing to give in 110% towards a new track or building onto something already there and others that know me know I can dig. If you know of anything please message me and hopefully we can arrange something.

Thanks
Ginger

Also, some people like skinnies. What better way to teach rear-wheel awareness - of which there is precious little around here? Besides, give it 5 years, and theyll be retro-chic again.

Aug. 24, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

Hey,

Yeah I did most of the building out there, moved to island this summer and was pretty choked when I came back 2 weeks ago and found it all plowed. 2 of my other buddies are looking at other spots already so pm them if you want to dig somewhere else. They're KHansen and Perrin_243 on the board.

Aug. 26, 2011, 11:37 a.m.

Thanks. Hopefully we can get something together soon as Im itching to get riding again out here!

Ive rep'd you already so sorry I cant do it again yet :P Someone rep him for me?

Also, some people like skinnies. What better way to teach rear-wheel awareness - of which there is precious little around here? Besides, give it 5 years, and theyll be retro-chic again.

Aug. 26, 2011, 12:09 p.m.

Ive rep'd you already so sorry I cant do it again yet :P Someone rep him for me?

On it Kevan!

But yea, it sounds like this was the summer of UBC trail plowing, with all of our stuff (dirtjumps, berm slalom trail, trick stepup) at UBC Okanagan torn down.

vimeo
Flickr

Aug. 26, 2011, 2:01 p.m.

Hey,

Yeah I did most of the building out there, moved to island this summer and was pretty choked when I came back 2 weeks ago and found it all plowed. 2 of my other buddies are looking at other spots already so pm them if you want to dig somewhere else. They're KHansen and Perrin_243 on the board.

Brutal.

Does anybody know if the smaller jump set in the vicinity that may or may not exist survived?

Thanks for all the hard work cbennett, rode that p-track a few times and threw some dirt around whenever I could. It was just getting good with the new lines up toward the road…

Aug. 26, 2011, 3:18 p.m.

The small set is gone as well. It was brutal to see all that level ground. I also super appreciate the work you put in CBennett. Shoot me a PM if you want help hauling dirt for UBC take-2.

Aug. 26, 2011, 4:04 p.m.

Yeah, word from a kid I ran into at Vanier was that the small set was torn out as well. Though it was going downhill for sometime what with the spray painting of trees, garbage, recent structures and whatnot. I'm sure pressure will increase to build a new set come winter when Vanier is under water.

Aug. 26, 2011, 4:28 p.m.

Hey yeah I shed a tear when I heard they were gone. Especially considering I was showing a group of teens from Trips For Kids how to ride the pump track on Monday. I guess it was the Wednesday that they got plowed. I remember when I first started riding at UBC 5 years ago when there was just two tiny jumps, spaced too far apart. We really turned that place into a ton of fun. The big set wasn't really rideable at the time, they were always super crumbly/dusty in the summer but that was why they were rideable for most of the fall/winter/spring. It especially sucks now that Vanier is the only spot to ride and its going to turn into a mud hole once the rain starts (my vote was always to build them in that huge space under the bridge, they've got the water hose, it would've been great, but anyways I digress) As far as something new to ride, my vote would be to search around for a nice ravine type spot where we could build a good size step up with minimal digging. Finding a spot that we don't need to modify a ton I think is a good strategy in having something that isn't likely to get plowed (cause what are they going to plow if you make the jumps out of the natural terrain) There is an old spot that might be worth looking into a ways south of campus. It is known though, as there was a big wallride that got torn down, that was two years ago or so I think. Anyways PM me and lets do something!

Aug. 27, 2011, 5:03 p.m.

Ahh sucks to hear about UBC okanagan liam :( I wanted to ride that berm trail one day.

I heard about weird stuff going on near the jumps and its just a matter of time once that happens until they are taken down. Its a shame it had to come to that.

Anyways PM me and lets do something!

PM sent!

June 27, 2013, 1:21 a.m.

Hey did you guys get anything planned out or did anything happen? I just got my first bike and am looking for places to explore around ubc area

June 28, 2013, 9:34 p.m.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the jumps and pumptrack were plowed in the summer of 2011. If you want to dirtjump Vanier is your closet bet (south side underneath the burrard street bridge). There's also numerous spots in North Van though most are hush hush.