Burnaby Mountain

Sept. 8, 2010, 4:30 p.m.

Hi Folks, new member here. I recently moved to the top of Burnaby Mountain (UniverCity) and figure it's time I start riding again. It's been about 12 years since I did any trail riding (in the Comox Valley when I still lived there) and I'm way out of touch with bike technology, etc.

I'm wondering if some of you fine folks, who are familiar with the trails on Burnaby Mountain, could offer some suggestions regarding what I should be looking at getting bike-wise. I want to ease myself back in to riding so I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$ - under $1K if I can help it. Thoughts?

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:11 p.m.

For under $1000 you'll get better quality components buying a hard tail than a full suspension bike. Are you looking to do cross country, all mountain, freeride or downhill riding?

I started off at Burnaby Mountain as a beginner doing loops of Lower Snake (Blue) as its not to far up the mountain so a loop is quite quick. If I am doing loops of the whole mountain I'll either do: Gear Jammer (Black), Upper Cut (Blue) and Lower Snake (Blue) or Upper Mels (Blue) and Nicholes (Black - harder than Gear Jammer).

If you are doing the whole mountain you can also skip the climb by taking the bus up.

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:32 p.m.

Burnaby Mountain is one of my absolute fav places to ride. After being off the dirt for many years this was my number one place to go back to and get back in the groove. Lower Snake is great and it's become my quick loop trail of choice. I tried Nicole's for the first time in years a week ago and I almost got myself wiped the frack out. I've yet to try out some of the other trails and I'm stoked to try them. Good luck and have a great time, you'll enjoy Burnaby Mtn for sure!

As for bikes, well, do you want a hradtail or a dually? There will be plenty on sale soon as the season winds down.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:36 p.m.

Once you feel comfortable on Lower Snake I would highly recommend doing it in combination with Gear Jammer and Upper Cut to get a loop that covers most of the mountain.

Nicholes is harder than the Gear Jammer and Upper Cut combination in my experience. Although I've no idea how hard the lower section of Gear Jammer that Upper Cut bypasses is.

| My Bike | :scotland: XCer attempting to adjust to :canada:'s Mother Hucka trails…

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:38 p.m.

Look for something in the buy and sell or on pinkbike buy and sell. For BBY MTN there really isnt any bike that cant be ridden there but if you want something decent enough all around, look for something like an old Norco Six. Obviously the newer the better but it is beefy enough to handle anything from bby to whistler and is light enough to pedal up and it has a granny gear. THere are other descent bikes as well from that era that would serve your purpose but the six comes to mind as I have seen a few of them for sale for under $1000 recently. Either way, you probably want to stay away from something that is over 40 lbs, keep to a single crown fork and make sure you have at least 2 chain rings, that should get you realatively close to the bike you are looking for. With mild skills and some kahoonas, you can get away with a 20 year old fully rigid v-brake bike at bby if you had to.

Eric

Sept. 8, 2010, 5:42 p.m.

Nicholes is harder than the Gear Jammer and Upper Cut combination in my experience. Although I've no idea how hard the lower section of Gear Jammer that Upper Cut bypasses is.

lower gearjammer is pretty much a straightline down the hill (after the uppercut turnoff), and the last bit is all marbley rocks. uppercut is much more fun, trust me.

Sept. 8, 2010, 9:17 p.m.

Thanks for the advice folks! Think I'll look into some decent hardtails - Lurch, were you reffering to the Norco 604?

Sept. 8, 2010, 9:20 p.m.

lower gearjammer is pretty much a straightline down the hill (after the uppercut turnoff), and the last bit is all marbley rocks. uppercut is much more fun, trust me.

I like lower Gearjammer better, but uppercut is more fun for the beginner

Sept. 8, 2010, 9:24 p.m.

Thanks for the advice folks! Think I'll look into some decent hardtails - Lurch, were you reffering to the Norco 604?

You may want to look into getting a Norco Sasquatch, Manik or Rampage. they are all excellent bikes that should help you renew your love for mountain biking. If you decide that you still love to mountain bike after all these years, you may want to treat yourself to a full-suspension bike.

Sept. 8, 2010, 9:30 p.m.

You may want to look into getting a Norco Sasquatch, Manik or Rampage. they are all excellent bikes that should help you renew your love for mountain biking. If you decide that you still love to mountain bike after all these years, you may want to treat yourself to a full-suspension bike.

Yes, bikes like these would be a good option, in that they have slacker head angles than most mid level hardtails so are more forgiving on the trails around here.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 9, 2010, 2:12 p.m.

sorry to jack the thread but whatever happened to upper snake? i remember getting in over my head on that trail many moons ago; seems like it would be good fun now

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 9, 2010, 2:15 p.m.

Upper snake is closed permanently now for environmental reasons according to the sign on the fence across the bottom of it.

Sept. 9, 2010, 2:40 p.m.

sorry to jack the thread but whatever happened to upper snake? i remember getting in over my head on that trail many moons ago; seems like it would be good fun now

it's got huge boulders and trees drug across it now.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 9, 2010, 2:41 p.m.

it's got huge boulders and trees drug across it now.

those sound like solid environmental grounds for closure

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 9, 2010, 2:52 p.m.

those sound like solid environmental grounds for closure

Runs parallel and too close to a creek. The boulders and logs across it keep people from poaching it (or staging a race down it).