Bring me your rude and/or clever trail names...

June 8, 2018, 9:13 p.m.

pretty sure you shoulda in bragg creek, ab was due to numerous bikers telling the local builders how to build trails

July 1, 2018, 9:05 p.m.

My Dixie Wrecked was the original name of a trail in PG. It was unfortunately shortened to Dixie when the rev area became legit. Also The Hairy Dimeslot became just Dimeslot.

July 9, 2018, 9:59 a.m.

Can we expand the conversation to names of bike models?  I mean, it's certainly within the purview of a privately owned company to name every one of their bike models with some kind of dick entendre, but do we as a community want to support that?  Do we think that an endless stream of cock references will make the biking community appear inclusive and accepting?

July 9, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

That bike company hasnt been relevant in selling any of their bikes in quite some time.  I doubt it is the fact that that their naming system was based on the thoughts of a teenage boy, but rather they couldnt keep up with the sweeping changes that were going on with bike design and geometry.

July 9, 2018, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Can we expand the conversation to names of bike models? I mean, it's certainly within the purview of a privately owned company to name every one of their bike models with some kind of dick entendre, but do we as a community want to support that? Do we think that an endless stream of cock references will make the biking community appear inclusive and accepting?

Really? Yes we as a community should social media shame Cove Bikes until they stop being silly. #stopcovebikessillynames

Posted by: shoreboy

That bike company hasnt been relevant in selling any of their bikes in quite some time. I doubt it is the fact that that their naming system was based on the thoughts of a teenage boy, but rather they couldn't keep up with the sweeping changes that were going on with bike design and geometry.

The Ti 29er Hummer they just released is super nice.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 9, 2018, 1:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 9, 2018, 1:39 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Really? Yes we as a community should social media shame Cove Bikes until they stop being silly. #stopcovebikessillynames

We could do that.

Or, we could have a mature discussion about it like grownups.

July 9, 2018, 4:36 p.m.

The Ti 29er Hummer they just released is super nice.

Their bro-brah attitude is more than enough to keep me from buying one of their bikes. And just like the Chromag Ti frame - there's no way I'm spending $3100 on a hardtail that isn't custom built to my specifications, ti or not.

July 9, 2018, 5:02 p.m.

Posted by: craw

. And just like the Chromag Ti frame - there's no way I'm spending $3100 on a hardtail that isn't custom built to my specifications, ti or not.

Have you actually tried one before making such a statement?  The only way to get a custom Ti frame that I know is by Dekerf, and it is north of $4K, more than my Surface Ti.  $3100 wouldn't even get you in the door on a custom job.

July 9, 2018, 5:05 p.m.

Oh dammit that hummer is super nice. Like I needed one more expensive thing to list over haha.

July 9, 2018, 9:52 p.m.

Can we expand the conversation to names of bike models?  I mean, it's certainly within the purview of a privately owned company to name every one of their bike models with some kind of dick entendre, but do we as a community want to support that?  Do we think that an endless stream of cock references will make the biking community appear inclusive and accepting?

Sorry KenN. 

It just isn't relevant to the conversation. If Cove wants to name their bikes that way it is completely fine, it is a business choice and is theirs alone.

None of the the names are actually offensive anymore, you just need to let it go and move on with your life. ;)

July 9, 2018, 9:55 p.m.

We could do that.

Or, we could have a mature discussion about it like grownups.

How about go down to Cove bikes and talk to them about it? Did they hurt your feelings or something?  They barely sell any bikes anymore so  the impact of their bike names on the international mtb community is very very small.

But hey knock yourself out. Im sure they will agree with you. Lol

Lighten up gawd

July 10, 2018, 5:55 a.m.

I agree, the cove boys do not take themselves too seriously and any "bro" vibes they send out they come by honestly. I am pretty stoked to see that hummer 29er, that is a very relevant ride.

July 10, 2018, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: blackfly

Posted by: craw

. And just like the Chromag Ti frame - there's no way I'm spending $3100 on a hardtail that isn't custom built to my specifications, ti or not.

Have you actually tried one before making such a statement? The only way to get a custom Ti frame that I know is by Dekerf, and it is north of $4K, more than my Surface Ti. $3100 wouldn't even get you in the door on a custom job.

I didn't say I could get a custom Ti frame for that amount. I said a hardtail custom built to my specifications. I'm perfectly aware that $3100cad won't get you a custom Ti frame, but you could definitely get an amazing one in steel. That's why I used my words. I have ridden enough bikes to know when a bike won't fit me. Nothing wrong with that. $3100 is a reasonable price for a Ti hardtail, but it's a lot of money for a stock hardtail that doesn't fit. If I were to spend that much on a hardtail I'd want it to be custom, and for $3100 you could get something amazing out of steel. And if you can happily fit one of these Ti frames then I'm happy for you.

Last edited by: craw on July 10, 2018, 11:57 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 10, 2018, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

Sorry KenN. 

It just isn't relevant to the conversation. If Cove wants to name their bikes that way it is completely fine, it is a business choice and is theirs alone.

None of the the names are actually offensive anymore, you just need to let it go and move on with your life. ;)

Not offensive?  I guess that is debatable. The bike they just released is still named Hummer.....im quite sure that name isnt referring to the off road vehicle favored by the military and urban posers.

July 10, 2018, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: TonyJ

Sorry KenN. 

Not offensive?  I guess that is debatable. The bike they just released is still named Hummer.....im quite sure that name isnt referring to the off road vehicle favored by the military and urban posers.

"I think it's a time in our culture where people love to pretend they're offended."

-Matt Groening