Bring me your rude and/or clever trail names...

June 2, 2018, 5:18 p.m.

Tungsten is right on this one. Some trail names should be changed as they are racist. May not have been the intent of the builders but Squaw Hollow is a demeaning name. 

Being 5’4” ish I find Angry Midget....to be accurate. Asshole.

June 3, 2018, 10:02 a.m.

Captain Hindgrinder has always been one of my faves...it has some seriously steep rock faces where your tire can buzz your crack...

We also have Rapist Ridge and N\\\\\* Pole over here...the guy who named 'em thinks he's funny but can't seem to bring himself to use the second trail name in front of his black friend...disgusting.

June 3, 2018, 10:42 a.m.

Posted 

Edit: I reconsidered participating in this part of the convo.  Carry on.

Last edited by: tashi on June 3, 2018, 11:16 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 3, 2018, 8 p.m.

Sofa king and mother hucker at Hartland. Wizard sleeve, dirk's diggler in Squamish are a couple more good ones.

June 3, 2018, 9:58 p.m.

Buggered Pig in Cumby was one that always confused me as a young lad.

June 4, 2018, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Golden boner in Whistler. Story is one month of no sex equals a bronze boner. Two months, silver. Three months...  it was the builders situation of being very single that spawned the name.

golden boner is 1 year no sex, 2 = platinum!

June 4, 2018, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Golden boner in Whistler. Story is one month of no sex equals a bronze boner. Two months, silver. Three months...  it was the builders situation of being very single that spawned the name.

One year! That’s unpossible. I guess I remembered it wrong.

June 4, 2018, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

One year! That’s unpossible. I guess I remembered it wrong.

and the builder actually went over 2 years! and was relatively proud.....but we didn't get a platinum trail out of it unfortunately.

June 5, 2018, 10:12 a.m.

and then he wisely left town

June 6, 2018, 10:53 a.m.

We have a trail section here called the Gang Bang Spot.

Very challenging on the bike but it's a very cozy and scenic viewpoint off the bike.

June 6, 2018, 11:51 a.m.

For those wondering what Cam is on about here, its probably partly a Bike Squamish dumpster fire of a thread, but also this: http://frontlinesmtb.com/2016/12/23/ep-5-whats-in-a-name-offensive-trail-names-and-why-change-is-important/

I suggest (yet, people will comment anyway) listening before commenting.

This isn't about "Golden Boner".

Its about what @Tungsten is on about - regressive racist/sexist/otherwise bigoted naming. And the broader question of "Why are people so insistent on defending things like that?". 

Just because there's "history behind the name" or "its always been called that", doesn't really mean it should be - its 2018 and we're better than that. Much to the chagrin of many, mountain biking is no longer a fringe sport, for weirdos. It is, however, still dominated by white dudes. 

Simply renaming a trail like "Squaw Hollow" is simple, easy, and doesn't actually change the trail, beyond making the name not a racist slur. [insert something about "a rose by any other name" here]

June 7, 2018, 11:34 a.m.

Psyched to see this much-needed conversation happening. Thanks for the context @cooperquinn. Recently had a discussion about naming trails at a local area and it was much harder than expected to come up with witty trail names that even vaguely described the nature of the trail.

On a side note, there was a particularly challenging section of trail where I grew up that was called "Thumping Dick Hollow." Apparently it was a reference to some odd-sounding machinery run by a fellow named Dick, but it used to give us the giggles back when we were in middle school. Hopefully we've moved past that stage!

June 7, 2018, 4:07 p.m.

The rule here is that the trail builder names the trail. We might have had a trail called "Golden Boner" but instead we have "Date Night".

June 8, 2018, 5:19 a.m.

As far as I know there isn't a trail with this name yet, and maybe it's not offensive enough to be worthy of this thread, but I really want to name a trail Brokebike Mountain. (Of course for that to happen, I'd have to build a trail ...)

June 8, 2018, 9:06 p.m.

placenta descenta in nelson...not crude, but i always thought kinda witty or at least unique.  no idea the origins

i read way back when that big money in fernie was named because the builder rolled his vehicle while driving up to work on it