Brett Tippie

Sept. 26, 2013, 3:17 p.m.

Some people just want to live their lives, telling the world of your struggles,I don't know.
Those who want to do things to help the next generation and like,there are lots of opportunities.
g

FVMBA Website

Sept. 26, 2013, 4:02 p.m.

Some people just want to live their lives, telling the world of your struggles,I don't know.
Those who want to do things to help the next generation and like,there are lots of opportunities.
g

Personally, I think we as a society put to much stock in using people as inspiration and such. Sure it is human nature but it seems to come out with people saying things like "Why can't you be more like him?" .

We need to spend more energy helping those around us.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:49 p.m.

what happened to him? life threatening illness? head injury? terrible accident? seems like a great guy.

Sept. 26, 2013, 9:02 p.m.

Can we just give him the MC gig for the next Crankworx Joyride?

Holy Mother Trucker, if you know what I mean.

Sept. 26, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

it's not that he's been advised not to, it was just that he, like anyone, has pride, and it was humiliating for him to fall so hard, and publicly.

He wanted to work hard, to get the industry and people to be confident that he wasn't going to fall off the wagon and to take him seriously, and that took a few years. Now that he is back, and a legit part of the industry again, he feels he can loosen up a little bit in telling some parts. He doesn't hide it per se, he just finished a volunteer stint at a Rehab centre in Kamloops coaching kids, and tells his story to kids at risk, but it's on a one on one conversation.

It's also with respect to his family. His parents didn't necessarily open up to their family members about it (and he has a massive family), and finally, we aren't sure what we want our kids to know about his rather big stumble yet. Once its out there, it's out there, for them, their friends, everyone to see always. I want people to know he never stole, did anything untold or hurt anyone else etc., he had a bad addiction. It's not that he's hiding it, more like figuring out how to tell it. He's been approached by many, but he wants to write a book, so he can do it in his own words (ok so it'll be a pretty fat book haha). He's a great storyteller, and it's an amazing journey, but I think he is the best one to tell it. It'll come when he slows down a bit.

There ya go!

Also, thanks to everyone for their support and love. He really is a wonderful amazing person, and I am so happy that he is so happy. He loves you all!

Sept. 26, 2013, 9:48 p.m.

it's not that he's been advised not to, it was just that he, like anyone, has pride, and it was humiliating for him to fall so hard, and publicly.

He wanted to work hard, to get the industry and people to be confident that he wasn't going to fall off the wagon and to take him seriously, and that took a few years. Now that he is back, and a legit part of the industry again, he feels he can loosen up a little bit in telling some parts. He doesn't hide it per se, he just finished a volunteer stint at a Rehab centre in Kamloops coaching kids, and tells his story to kids at risk, but it's on a one on one conversation.

It's also with respect to his family. His parents didn't necessarily open up to their family members about it (and he has a massive family), and finally, we aren't sure what we want our kids to know about his rather big stumble yet. Once its out there, it's out there, for them, their friends, everyone to see always. For the record, he never stole, did anything untold or hurt anyone else etc., he had a bad addiction. It's not that he's hiding it, more like figuring out how to tell it. He's been approached by many, but he wants to write a book, so he can do it in his own words (ok so it'll be a pretty fat book haha). He's a great storyteller, and it's an amazing journey, but I think he is the best one to tell it. It'll come when he slows down a bit.

There ya go!

end thread.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 26, 2013, 11:50 p.m.

I would always equate the scene with the orignal free riders of kamloops( Tippy, Richie, Wade) era to the" Lords of Dogtown" for mounainbiking. Some one make this movie. Docudrama style. It would be awesome,and this sport needs some curators of the history.
BT. u r the man. U r still a rock star in the minds that matter.

WTF, Over?

Sept. 27, 2013, 8:25 a.m.

great little interview , shot at a cool location .

tippie is a good guy , always a big happy hello , whenever / wherever you see him .

cam , i'd leave him to tell story when / where / how he chooses to tell it , and if he decides not to , the fact that he is still here part of the community is good enough .

not all our sports personalities have to go on to be the role models society wants them to be , although it sounds like he is already working with youth where he can do the most good . . . thanks for that update newgirl .

Sept. 27, 2013, 8:41 a.m.

cam , i'd leave him to tell story when / where / how he chooses to tell it , and if he decides not to , the fact that he is still here part of the community is good enough .

….

Sept. 27, 2013, 9:08 a.m.

not all our sports personalities have to go on to be the role models society wants them to be , .

This.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 27, 2013, 9:56 a.m.

His story's out there, do some googling you'll probably find an old interview he gave before his "second coming". I'm sure his sponsors, given his current popularity, want it slightly under the rug.

From the few times I've met him, and the stories he's told some people I know, he seems to be a very open guy, even about that era. I think Cam hit the nail on the head.

Sept. 27, 2013, 10:30 a.m.

Even without a "backstory", he is an inspirational guy.

He was doing a Rocky demo ride event a few years back when I was just getting back into the sport, and I rode a chairlift with him. Every time I meet a newbe biker I try to be like Tippie was with me. Welcoming, encouraging, and having a ball.

He can speak or not speak about his past in my view, his present is inspirational enough.

Sept. 27, 2013, 11:08 a.m.

Our societies fascination with "the dirt" disturbs me.

Newgirl's post, half a page ago was about as informative and candid as you are going to get for now and possibly ever.

What we are casually discussing here is a dark time for a person that for all we know, may still struggle with. How would you feel if one of your past transgressions became the subject of public "We need to know!" scrutiny. We are talking about someones darkest days as though it even affects or involves us. This isn't Star magazine or Entertainment Tonight.

Tippie shared some cool and also very personal thoughts on his history and all of a sudden people are salivating for more of the nasty stuff. After that, his wife comes out with some clear, concise reasoning as to why more wasn't shared (which was very accommodating as no one owes you shit). This still doesn't satiate some people who want to drive the google bus to find more dirt.

I suppose its nothing new, just train wreck mentality. A lot of people focus on the good, yet more want the bad. I think even what he touched on was very brave in an era of micro analization by the masses. Very stoked to see one of my early (and still) heros back on the scene with such a vengeance. The sport is definitely in a better place as a whole with an ambassador like him on the scene.

Tippie and Smith for Co-Prime Ministers!

Sept. 27, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Just wanted to add a hi to Brett and a reminder of what a pleasure it was to ride and hang with him a few years ago during a schley camp when he was so proud of that first ultrasound of the baby and he was starting his comeback. So basically thanks to Richie and who ever else was involved in bringing him in to help coach. Without a doubt funnest couple of days ever.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sept. 27, 2013, 11:14 a.m.

Our societies fascination with "the dirt" disturbs me.

Newgirl's post, half a page ago was about as informative and candid as you are going to get for now and possibly ever.

What we are casually discussing here is a dark time for a person that for all we know, may still struggle with. How would you feel if one of your past transgressions became the subject of public "We need to know!" scrutiny. We are talking about someones darkest days as though it even affects or involves us. This isn't Star magazine or Entertainment Tonight.

Tippie shared some cool and also very personal thoughts on his history and all of a sudden people are salivating for more of the nasty stuff. After that, his wife comes out with some clear, concise reasoning as to why more wasn't shared (which was very accommodating as no one owes you shit). This still doesn't satiate some people who want to drive the google bus to find more dirt.

I suppose its nothing new, just train wreck mentality. A lot of people focus on the good, yet more want the bad. I think even what he touched on was very brave in an era of micro analization by the masses. Very stoked to see one of my early (and still) heros back on the scene with such a vengeance. The sport is definitely in a better place as a whole with an ambassador like him on the scene.

Tippie and Smith for Co-Prime Ministers!

hear hear