Bobsled? Trail Etiquette?

Sept. 7, 2018, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Jesus invented green and blue trails for those who weren’t sure of what they were doing.

Satan lured them to the black, double blacks and above.  Those people should be stoned.

Cockfags who ride peoples asses on green or blue trails are the worst type of jerry’s.

Seconded. Passing little kids on trail, especially green/blue, unless said kid or parents say it's cool to do, is a total douche move regardless of how safe the passer thinks they are doing it... I think it's even more douchey outside the bike park. Imagine running into a kid while doing this? What is wrong with people. If you want to go fast and jump you can lap Boogie Nights or go to Cypress.

I've ridden Bobsled at my pathetic top speed, and it's a super fun trail to do so, but if I come up behind anyone I am on the brakes hard and stop and give them a minute or cruise well back so they don't feel pressure to pull over or accelerate. I was that dude a few years ago and it sucks knowing someone is behind you regardless of their intentions.

Sept. 7, 2018, 4:20 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

...a bit flatter,  mini rollers, little kid skinnies would be ideal. .

Invergarry Park in Surrey has great one called "Little Shredder" or something.  Pretty short, even has an optional kid "roller coaster" bridge at the end.

Sept. 7, 2018, 6:44 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a couple trails on both Fromme and Seymour that are like 100% beginner/children only. I think they should be a little bit easier than Bobsled though. Bobsled is definitely an easy trail (by Shore standards) but it can also be a very fast trail. Ideally the 100% beginner trails would be very basic and perhaps something that more experienced riders wouldn't want to ride anyways (I guess something like EZ Does It in the WBP). Perhaps something a little bit more singletrackish and fun than EZ Does It but similar concept. Or some sort of beginner skills area...

🍻 Brilliant. It could be super short too, less pedalling back up.

Sept. 8, 2018, 9:26 a.m.

I am not in disagreement with you wanting a place that you and your kids feel safe riding at a slow speed. 

What I will point out, is that Bobsled is not a place that this will work. Bobsled is a `flow trail`with optional doubles and jumps, it is too easy to access for all riders on all kinds of bikes. The tourists and the even the fast groms are going to want to ride the trail, which makes it difficult to regulate. 

This idea is totally unrealistic on a trail like Bobsled:

``Passing little kids on trail, especially green/blue, unless said kid or parents say it's cool to do, is a total douche move regardless of how safe the passer thinks they are doing it..``

I pretty much never ride Bobsled (unless somebody else makes me), so changing the designation won`t affect me at all.

I am just trying to point out the logistical problems you will run into with an idea like this.

Sept. 8, 2018, 11:44 a.m.

As usual, it seems that basic consideration of other users is required.

Dad should be looking out to make sure his party is moving over when safe and not impeding people unnecessarily.  Overtaking riders need to wait until they are let past.  You know, sharing.

Both beginners and experts like that trail.  Trail difficulty ratings are for information, not to restrict people from what type of riding they want to try.  I see no practical way of keeping a trail "beginner only", nor would that be "fair" to good riders that appreciate a flow trail.

Sept. 8, 2018, 2:11 p.m.

The day some Jerry fast passes my kid and scares him i'll be racing ahead to catch him and put my feet through both his wheels. I don't care what trail it is. 

Let kiddos ride in the front then you get to ride blocker in the back. 

Bobsled may be a flow trail but nobody should be passing like an ass on it regardless.

Sept. 8, 2018, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

The day some Jerry fast passes my kid and scares him i'll be racing ahead to catch him and put my feet through both his wheels. I don't care what trail it is. 

Bobsled may be a flow trail but nobody should be passing like an ass on it regardless.

*This, definitely*   It comes down to having consideration for other trail users. Nobody cares about your Strava times.

Sept. 9, 2018, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

so you were already quite selfish in creating even more humans on this already overpopulated planet and feel entitled to be selfish again in blocking others while they are having fun?

Sept. 9, 2018, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

so you were already quite selfish in creating even more humans on this already overpopulated planet and feel entitled to be selfish again in blocking others while they are having fun?

If you can think of any other reason to have kids, all of us parent's would like to hear about it.

Sept. 9, 2018, 9:18 a.m.

If you can think of any other reason to have kids, all of us parent's would like to hear about it.

i can't think of any and that's why i decided to have none. cheaper lifestyle, also more calm and more me time.

what will you tell your kids when they ask why this generation and the one before us ruined the planet? when there will be REAL mass migration because the oceans destroyed so many places and it got too hot in many poor countries? when there will be eco-fashism and people want to decide who gets to live and who not? your kids will clearly experience quite ugly moments caused due to over population and they will judge you for it.

Last edited by: Sethimus on Sept. 9, 2018, 9:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 9, 2018, 9:34 a.m.

Oh please.....fill you boots wiTh kids or not for whatever reasons you feel justify your decision....but the heart of this question is: is it appropriate to make a potentially unsafe pass on a slower rider on a trail that appeals to a wide range of skill sets? 

No. The answer is clearly no. 

What is safe and what is not is judgement. I’d say if it’s a small kiddo you’re passing the kid should be off the side of the trail and stopped and the passing rider should be going walking speed but people need to make their own call. I, like most here, decide whether or not to stop and let the slower rider go, or stay safely behind them and wait to see if they pull over, or not. At WBP on those fast jump trails, I’m as likely to be pulling over to let some 18yo ripper past than I am to get caught behind someone  

Sorry for ruining your Strava but you were that kid once and people did that for you.

Sept. 9, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

i can't think of any and that's why i decided to have none. cheaper lifestyle, also more calm and more me time.

what will you tell your kids when they ask why this generation and the one before us ruined the planet? when there will be REAL mass migration because the oceans destroyed so many places and it got too hot in many poor countries? when there will be eco-fashism and people want to decide who gets to live and who not? your kids will clearly experience quite ugly moments caused due to over population and they will judge you for it.

You are the hero the world needs.

Sept. 9, 2018, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Oh please.....fill you boots wiTh kids or not for whatever reasons you feel justify your decision....but the heart of this question is: is it appropriate to make a potentially unsafe pass on a slower rider on a trail that appeals to a wide range of skill sets?

What is safe and what is not is judgement. I’d say if it’s a small kiddo you’re passing the kid should be off the side of the trail and stopped and the passing rider should be going walking speed but people need to make their own call. I, like most here, decide whether or not to stop and let the slower rider go, or stay safely behind them and wait to see if they pull over, or not. At WBP on those fast jump trails, I’m as likely to be pulling over to let some 18yo ripper past than I am to get caught behind someone

Sorry for ruining your Strava but you were that kid once and people did that for you.

i see it different: is such a trail the place to ride with little kids or not if there are way better places to train like bikeparks? would you ride with the same kid on a busy road so they learn how to handle traffic or would you start in a calm neighborhood first?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Sept. 9, 2018, 11:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 9, 2018, 12:30 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

i see it different: is such a trail the place to ride with little kids or not if there are way better places to train like bikeparks? would you ride with the same kid on a busy road so they learn how to handle traffic or would you start in a calm neighborhood first?

Fuck is wrong with you? take a step back from the keyboard, go ride your bike.

Sept. 9, 2018, 12:33 p.m.

If i'm riding with my girlfriend and someone tries to pass her when she isn't expecting it, they are gonna fucking hear about it no matter what. Don't care how big/tough/fast they are, i will be up in their grill. I can only imagine how I would feel whilst riding with children