Bobsled? Trail Etiquette?

Sept. 6, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

I have been noticing a ton of little groms out riding recently, I myself have been spotted by many towing my 4 year old daughter with friends, or riding up with my 1.5 year old son on his Mac-ride to do bobsled laps or road side rips. Was hoping to get some opinions and create understanding that I believe that both of these trails are beginner oriented and I totally appreciate the riders that slow down and take it easy when they see us, as we do our best to move the kids quickly off to the side. However there have been occasions recently where people have ripped passed the kids and scared the living hell out of them. I think that the 'learning rider' has the right of way. (I could be wrong, but this is what I feel)

Please accept my apologies if we ruin your strava hunt for KOM. Encourage these little rippers, don't push them they are doing the best they can, which at 4 is a huge accomplishment.

Thanks to all those who support us out there. We are trying to promote the love of the trails, the outdoors, and riding in our young families.

Sept. 6, 2018, 4:15 p.m.

I'd be all for making Bobsled new rider primary.

Sept. 6, 2018, 4:45 p.m.

I totally appreciate wanting to get your kids into biking, but bobsled was built to be fast. Rider attitudes vary, but if you're taking an 18 month old on it, I'd say your prioritizing your enjoyment over his. Might be you who needs to rethink things.

Sept. 6, 2018, 4:54 p.m.

Sept. 6, 2018, 9:14 p.m.

Jesus invented green and blue trails for those who weren’t sure of what they were doing.

Satan lured them to the black, double blacks and above.  Those people should be stoned.

Cockfags who ride peoples asses on green or blue trails are the worst type of jerry’s.

Sept. 6, 2018, 9:18 p.m.

If it's beginner primary, how will I train for next years Air DH? Gotta step up my game, Bobsled is the just what the doctor ordered.

;)

Sept. 6, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

Posted by: whisper06

However there have been occasions recently where people have ripped passed the kids and scared the living hell out of them. I think that the 'learning rider' has the right of way. (I could be wrong, but this is what I feel)

To give a serious answer to your question before things go totally off the rails, you're right for the most part. Akin to the skier's code, the when approaching someone from behind the faster rider should give way to the slower rider - ie don't blow by them unannounced. If someone wants to pass another rider ideally they should make sure the rider they're about to pass is aware of them. And in fairness, the slower rider should pull over to let a faster rider by when they feel it's safe to do so.

Sept. 6, 2018, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: whisper06

However there have been occasions recently where people have ripped passed the kids and scared the living hell out of them. I think that the 'learning rider' has the right of way. (I could be wrong, but this is what I feel)

To give a serious answer to your question before things go totally off the rails, you're right for the most part. Akin to the skier's code, the when approaching someone from behind the faster rider should give way to the slower rider - ie don't blow by them unannounced. If someone wants to pass another rider ideally they should make sure the rider they're about to pass is aware of them. And in fairness, the slower rider should pull over to let a faster rider by when they feel it's safe to do so.

You kind of missed the important part about the level of trail.

If it’s green or blue, sit down on your seat and pretend you are on a moto and keep far enough away they don’t know you’re there.  It’s fun.  Trust me.

(If it’s Black+ and they’re doing it for social media, by all means make their life hell, that’s fun too).

Sept. 6, 2018, 10:03 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Cockfags 

???

Speaking of bad manners...

Sept. 6, 2018, 10:26 p.m.

Posted by: fun-house

Posted by: ReductiMat

Cockfags

???

Speaking of bad manners...

Someone needs to watch, Team America: World Police.

Unless you’re Mormon.

Last edited by: ReductiMat on Sept. 6, 2018, 10:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 7, 2018, 8:11 a.m.

I think it's great with the tykes out there, super lucky to be out there getting their skills up. I always slow down and pass wide.

Maybe Road side attraction would be a better lap to take them on if one is worried about the thru traffic? There is also " For the kids" off Breamar.

Sept. 7, 2018, 9:32 a.m.

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a couple trails on both Fromme and Seymour that are like 100% beginner/children only. I think they should be a little bit easier than Bobsled though. Bobsled is definitely an easy trail (by Shore standards) but it can also be a very fast trail. Ideally the 100% beginner trails would be very basic and perhaps something that more experienced riders wouldn't want to ride anyways (I guess something like EZ Does It in the WBP). Perhaps something a little bit more singletrackish and fun than EZ Does It but similar concept. Or some sort of beginner skills area...

Sept. 7, 2018, 10:08 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I think it would make a lot of sense to have a couple trails on both Fromme and Seymour that are like 100% beginner/children only. I think they should be a little bit easier than Bobsled though. Bobsled is definitely an easy trail (by Shore standards) but it can also be a very fast trail. Ideally the 100% beginner trails would be very basic and perhaps something that more experienced riders wouldn't want to ride anyways (I guess something like EZ Does It in the WBP). Perhaps something a little bit more singletrackish and fun than EZ Does It but similar concept. Or some sort of beginner skills area...

To be fair, not every place has to have this stuff and there are good spots for this on the Shore.

Sept. 7, 2018, 10:45 a.m.

Bobsled even though a green is a really fun high speed trail, love the big wooden berm.

Something as mentioned above built that has more turns, a bit flatter,  mini rollers, little kid skinnies would be ideal. Would be super great for the little ones and the newbies. Smooth smoothie in the SP bike park is a designated green for the kids and newbies. No one rides  except the fore mentioned it because it is so windy, and slow. Plus the blue/black options around it are way better. Make it lame for the skilled riders and the stress would be at a minimum for the parents.

Sept. 7, 2018, 11:57 a.m.

Lower Richard Juryn and the easy side of Circuit 8 are low traffic greens, but maybe still a bit too much for a young kid starting out.