Bobsled drop and signage

Oct. 2, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

This is where mountain biking near a city is at now. Lots of folks ride now that don't know any better than to rely on signage for assessing trails.

For me, if I'm thinking about the right drop, when I was over there last I stopped and took a look before riding it. I've been riding long enough to know not to trust someone else's judgement about how hard a trail or feature is enough to go flying off of things blind.

The resortification of our riding trails is a consequence of our sport's increasing popularity. More popularity = more visibility = more liability = more management.

Wild trails are still out there luckily. Personally, I like 'em both but would be pretty bummed if everything I rode was mapped somewhere and had a sign on it attempting to tell me how hard it was.

Last edited by: tashi on Oct. 2, 2017, 9:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 3, 2017, 2:05 p.m.

Agree about some of the inconsistencies, C-Buster, has some (awesome) challenging technical sections which are well beyond AA and Severed,  while Kirkford/CC are easier. Ladies Exit (left at Big Stupid) and Lower Ladies are double blacks to me, steep off camber/rock turns without catch berms.

Oct. 3, 2017, 2:28 p.m.

I guess in many cases it is a legacy rating. For example I bet the Kirkford rating came from before the rerouting from a steeper straight line to several dozen switchbacking berms. I bet CC has more dirt on it now than it ever has, compared to what may have been a rough and rocky past.

Oct. 3, 2017, 2:37 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Ladies Exit (left at Big Stupid)

Rode that part once a long time ago (shortly after I started mountain biking)... man that was steep and loose! Ended up sliding down most of it on my butt, and even that was sketchy. Would be curious to try it again now that I have a little bit more experience/skill.

Oct. 5, 2017, 6:41 a.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Posted by: Ddean

What is happening with Bookwus? Rode it the other day and it isn't signed and it looked like efforts had been made to hide the entrance (branches put there, etc...)

It didn't look any different to me last week as it has been in the past few years. I seem to recall that the entrance has always had that quasi-X root/branch start. I can't recall there ever being a sign...or maybe I always have my head down.

Same for me, but haven't been down it in a few months.  Great trail.  A number of tricky moves on it.  I used to be able to clean it on a good day, now I find I am walking over a few spots.  All good.

Oct. 5, 2017, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: grambo

Ladies Exit (left at Big Stupid)

Rode that part once a long time ago (shortly after I started mountain biking)... man that was steep and loose! Ended up sliding down most of it on my butt, and even that was sketchy. Would be curious to try it again now that I have a little bit more experience/skill.

i like this route. nice & chunky, and allows you to bypass the punchy bp climb.

Oct. 6, 2017, 1:11 p.m.

Anyone know if Bobsled is getting a new exit? There appears to be a new piece of trail getting put it in between the last section of Bobsled and the parking lot.

Oct. 7, 2017, 4:09 p.m.

Posted by: joedirt

Anyone know if Bobsled is getting a new exit? There appears to be a new piece of trail getting put it in between the last section of Bobsled and the parking lot.

I heard they were building an overpass so that the cars wouldn't have to slow down for those pesky riders crossing the road.

Oct. 10, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

An Air Supply style road gap into the Baden Powell ?

Oct. 11, 2017, 1:33 p.m.

Its a turn around for the ebikes. Those guys don't want to burn their batteries doing the long way up Mtn Hwy, so once they're at the bottom of Bobsled, back up Bobsled they go. NSMBA is installing a white line down the middle of the trail to separate the up from the down sides. And they are reversing some features so that the ebikers can hit big step up gaps on their way up. The future is great.

Oct. 11, 2017, 2:27 p.m.

This post is so full of win.

Oct. 11, 2017, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Its a turn around for the ebikes. Those guys don't want to burn their batteries doing the long way up Mtn Hwy, so once they're at the bottom of Bobsled, back up Bobsled they go. NSMBA is installing a white line down the middle of the trail to separate the up from the down sides. And they are reversing some features so that the ebikers can hit big step up gaps on their way up. The future is great.

The best Jerry, the best! - Kenny Bania

Last edited by: bux-bux on Oct. 11, 2017, 2:59 p.m., edited 2 times in total.