Blue Mountain in Onterrible

April 16, 2010, 8:16 p.m.

You'll be in Borden?

Just take the Endo and maybe the roadie if you want to road ride. Personally I'd leave the roadie at home and just xc ride.

By heading out the Lisle gate from the end of Range Road you are about 10 minutes from some great xc riding.

Dufferin Forest in Mansfield is littered with singletrack. Most of it super fast and flowing old moto trails from the 70's. This will be your best after work rides. Show up on Tuesday and Thursday about 6pm and the usual suspects should be out for a ride. A rag tag group of guys have been riding every Tuesday and Thursday their since about 1994.

Forget riding Blue mountain for "DH", but make the 30 minute drive to Collingwood area for the fun xc/am. There is riding all along the Niagra Escarpment, some of it know, much of it unknown. If you meet up with the right group riding Mansfield you'll tap into 10 or 15 spots with 100's of kms or rolling singletrack. Everything from smooth buff and fast to endless tech rock gardens.

Leave the V-Tach at home.

April 16, 2010, 8:27 p.m.

The Ontario trail guide book.

http://www.ontariotrailguide.com/

Cycle Solutions has them. I don't know about MEC.

Don't forget this important event while out here. The World MTB Champs at the end of August at Mt St Anne. I believe you can take a train down from Barrie transfer to VIA to get there. You can take you bike on the train out here.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 16, 2010, 8:30 p.m.

There is also riding at Hardwood Hills.

Keep in mind that some areas charge user fees- Kelso, Hilton Falls.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 16, 2010, 8:35 p.m.

You'll be in Borden?

Just take the Endo and maybe the roadie if you want to road ride. Personally I'd leave the roadie at home and just xc ride.

By heading out the Lisle gate from the end of Range Road you are about 10 minutes from some great xc riding.

Dufferin Forest in Mansfield is littered with singletrack. Most of it super fast and flowing old moto trails from the 70's. This will be your best after work rides. Show up on Tuesday and Thursday about 6pm and the usual suspects should be out for a ride. A rag tag group of guys have been riding every Tuesday and Thursday their since about 1994.

Forget riding Blue mountain for "DH", but make the 30 minute drive to Collingwood area for the fun xc/am. There is riding all along the Niagra Escarpment, some of it know, much of it unknown. If you meet up with the right group riding Mansfield you'll tap into 10 or 15 spots with 100's of kms or rolling singletrack. Everything from smooth buff and fast to endless tech rock gardens.

Leave the V-Tach at home.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll be bringing the road bike because I've got a friend who is on the course who wants to go for rides, and it's easy to get a quick 30-45min ride in if we're bogged down with work in the evenings. It's nice to know that there's XC riding just outside the base though.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 16, 2010, 8:45 p.m.

Yeah my biggest concern was whether the V-Tach might be a little overkill for riding out there. I'm bringing my Endorphin no matter what, as I'm getting paid to drive out there so for me it's a free trip to Moab and Fruita (where I want a pedally bike). Obviously a DH bike is more fun for DH trails, but I've had a hard time finding any info to show what the riding is like out there compared to here.

Put it this way. Blue Mountain its highest point is 740 Feet, Burnaby MOuntain is 1080 Feet.

April 16, 2010, 8:46 p.m.

There is also riding at Hardwood Hills.

Keep in mind that some areas charge user fees- Kelso, Hilton Falls.

Hardwood does also.

April 16, 2010, 9:15 p.m.

Hardwood does also.

Hopefully they haven't increased it with Pan Ams coming in 3 and a half years.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 16, 2010, 9:18 p.m.

The idea of paying to ride XC bothers me. Maybe I'm just spoiled from living in BC. Is it really worth it? Are these other places you guys have mentioned free?

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

April 16, 2010, 9:18 p.m.

Hopefully they haven't increased it with Pan Ams coming in 3 and a half years.

I rode it once on a rigid in 99, then moved out here in 03. At that time it was 8 bux per person I think .

April 16, 2010, 9:34 p.m.

The idea of paying to ride XC bothers me. Maybe I'm just spoiled from living in BC. Is it really worth it? Are these other places you guys have mentioned free?

Brant Tract- Free
Rockcliffe Trails in Burlington- Free
Don Valley Trails- Free
3 Stage Collingwood- Free
Kolapore Uplands Collingwood- Free
Copeland Forest Barrie- Free
Porcupine Ridge Bracebridge- $2
Laurentian Ski Hill North Bay- Free
Nipissing [HTML_REMOVED] Canadore North Bay- Free

Pretty much the closest to Boredom. These are the legal free trails. There are more but they are more local knowledge. I'll ask my buddy who was up in Barrie for awhile for work. He built a trail while up there. I'll get his email for you.

Dig through here, might be others stuff as well.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 16, 2010, 9:34 p.m.

I rode it once on a rigid in 99, then moved out here in 03. At that time it was 8 bux per person I think .

It's $12 last I heard.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 16, 2010, 9:48 p.m.

Just ignore any enduramil's trail recs and you will be fine.

From Borden you have endless singletrack within quick striking distance. The Escarpment is hiding soo many gems that the city folk just ain't found. Like I said, hang out around Mansfield and find the guys that live up on Jade Mtn / Honeywood. I grew up in Alliston, started riding in 93 and moved out in 05. There are tons of free trails in that area that are 100x better than Hardwood or any of the paid riding spots. Only reason to ride at any of the paid spots is if you are doing a race.

April 16, 2010, 10:10 p.m.

Just ignore any enduramil's trail recs and you will be fine.

From Borden you have endless singletrack within quick striking distance. The Escarpment is hiding soo many gems that the city folk just ain't found. Like I said, hang out around Mansfield and find the guys that live up on Jade Mtn / Honeywood. I grew up in Alliston, started riding in 93 and moved out in 05. There are tons of free trails in that area that are 100x better than Hardwood or any of the paid riding spots. Only reason to ride at any of the paid spots is if you are doing a race.

Anything around Meaford?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 17, 2010, 12:08 a.m.

Anything around Meaford?

The guys at Jolleys used to have a bunch of trails just outside Meaford. We explored that area and it wasn't as good as other spots about the same drive for us. Owen Sound had a great little network. You want 2km of rock garden trials gnar go ride Wolsely. It's flat but it will take hours to try and ride the 2km of trail then it's a quick trip back via road.

Beaver Valley has tons of riding.

April 19, 2010, 9:55 a.m.

Back to the Original Post. I rode Blue with my sister a few years ago, and I brought my Balfa Minuteman (older dj hardtail) and it was just fine. Anything bigger wouldn't have been as fun I don't think.

They have some sort of rule there that you can't have any man-made jumps, so everything is just techy. Fun though for sure.