blowdown...

Feb. 14, 2013, 6:25 p.m.

from the SSC thread:

seems like the most reasonable way to cover large amounts of the mountain while sharing the workload around

im not the only one doing this. its a new method of "sharing" the fun….

yo jimmy..no call? oh wait you meant 5th horseman..my bad..

Feb. 14, 2013, 6:43 p.m.

from the SSC thread:

seems like the most reasonable way to cover large amounts of the mountain while sharing the workload around

Makes sense. Kinda sucks when you're the first one down the trail but it's a good way to earn some sweat equity. Our group cleared Janet's, part of dudes bypass and part of one of the Janet's loamers.

Feb. 14, 2013, 7:03 p.m.

Makes sense. Kinda sucks when you're the first one down the trail but it's a good way to earn some sweat equity. Our group cleared Janet's, part of dudes bypass and part of one of the Janet's loamers.

some out of town riders clearing off the debris! nice work you guys!

Feb. 14, 2013, 7:25 p.m.

I will step gingerly overtop of fresh cut wood debris and let the next group of "first" downers have at 'er:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 14, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

the dry spell over the summer and sudden hard rains in fall, caused slides in areas too. i think this combo weakens the big trees root structures and base strength, then the for mentioned heavy snow.

WTF, Over?

Feb. 15, 2013, 12:17 a.m.

I was bored one night and did the research and I came up with this.

[HTML_REMOVED]#8220;The first thing to know is that all trees have the potential to fail at some level of force from wind, snow, ice, either singly or in combination,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; he says. One main reason, all three experts agree, is the phenomenon known as [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;windthrow[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; which uproots a tree. [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;The tree trunk acts as a lever and so the force applied to the roots and trunk increases with height,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; says Foster. [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;Taller trees are more susceptible to windthrow.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

Here is the link.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/11/12/why-do-trees-topple-in-a-storm/

Feb. 16, 2013, 2:08 p.m.

Upper Dreamweaver was a bit of a mess this morning.
I wasn't equipped to cut or move anything, but if I head up there in the next while, I'll bring some gear.

Feb. 17, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

good chance to build some ladder bridges leave them lie and adapt the trail to them,

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Feb. 18, 2013, 8:30 a.m.

im not the only one doing this. its a new method of "sharing" the fun….

yo jimmy..no call? oh wait you meant 5th horseman..my bad..

5th on Cypress, yes. I was up there again on Saturday and dropped into 5th Horseman from the powerlines ducking in just above the step up to platform to step down. Somebody had been through with a saw and chopped up the big stuff and left it to be cleared by riders. We cleaned up the mess through that line and all stuff below that. Not sure if anything above that has been sawed or cleared, but getting there on the road through the snow would be a PITA.

Excellent conditions this weekend. A lot of people out on the mountain.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Feb. 18, 2013, 5:36 p.m.

Still alot of blowdown at the entrance to coffin step up .Unfortinatly i tweaked my knee again so might have to give it some time before i can help haul rounds out of the way.
Thank your buddy for the good gesture of starting to clear the trail.
Would be a shame to see the forest reclaim the 5 th 's more recent entrance .
Those trees were strategic when the damage got done durring the winter,looks to be almost like it was deliberate,I know it was natural.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

Feb. 20, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

Is anyone allowed to clear that stuff off the trails with a chainsaw or no?

superheros
I like bikes