blowdown...

Feb. 13, 2013, 10:39 p.m.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why the blow-down was so bad this year? No real big wind storms that I can think of - sort of a heavy snowfall in december, but i cant see that accounting for the huge number of trees down - cabin trail just got raped this year on seymour - the whole west side of seymour is pretty beaten actually. Fromme didnt get off to easy either…

Ah well…. lotsa new cedar out there finally for some building.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Feb. 13, 2013, 10:46 p.m.

it's the heavy wet snow that does it. the trails on "the other north shore" have been hit pretty bad as well.

Feb. 14, 2013, 7:34 a.m.

Lower Cypress has some pretty spectacular blowdown but nothing that really blocks the trails (I rode Sex Girl and Slippery Canoe).

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Feb. 14, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why the blow-down was so bad this year? No real big wind storms that I can think of - sort of a heavy snowfall in december, but i cant see that accounting for the huge number of trees down - cabin trail just got raped this year on seymour - the whole west side of seymour is pretty beaten actually. Fromme didnt get off to easy either…

Ah well…. lotsa new cedar out there finally for some building.

Lots of snow in the trees followed by warm temps to make the snow very heavy, and gusty winds at the same time. This "perfect storm" probably hasn't happened for a couple of years hence the fall down. The trees basically all came down on one day. I happened to be snowshoeing up on Eagle that day and it was unreal. They were falling everywhere.
We should be good for a couple of years now. The saws sure are getting a workout.

Chainsmoker 8)

Feb. 14, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

SSC got nuked as well.

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

Feb. 14, 2013, 9:13 a.m.

The interior trails are going to be getting hit hard for the next decade or so. With all the beetle kill wood now in the grey with no needle stage, they'll be falling.

Example pic:

Feb. 14, 2013, 10:45 a.m.

The interior trails are going to be getting hit hard for the next decade or so.

I wonder what it will be like in the Chilcotins this year; last year was bad enough.

Feb. 14, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

I have been chainsawing at BigRed on Red and the last couple of days on Sumas's Squidline.(Thanks Dutch for the big help)
(it's now clear) Around here lots of the higher trails have been hit real hard.
Heard the big bridge in the clearcut on TimeKiller has approx. 3/4ft of snow on it.Speak of snowload.
Never seen this many tree's down on the trail like this,must just be a real heavy snow.
It's been a couple of years since the double big blowdown on TimeKiller ,this is a cakewalk compared.
g

FVMBA Website

Feb. 14, 2013, 12:59 p.m.

it's the heavy wet snow that does it. the trails on "the other north shore" have been hit pretty bad as well.

Rode (or tried to) Dentist last weekend, and it is in pretty bad shape.
Huge trees down all over.

Feb. 14, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

SSC last weekend had tons of blowdown. Builders have been in there cutting up most of it but the logs still needed to be moved off the trail.

Apparently 5th horseman is a mess. I'm trying to organize a chainsaw party for this weekend to clean it up.

Feb. 14, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

Big thanks to Gary and dubprof and Woodsie and anyone else who's buzzing this stuff out. If anyone else can leave the bike at home and head up with a saw, it'd be much appreciated.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 14, 2013, 3:25 p.m.

SSC last weekend had tons of blowdown. Builders have been in there cutting up most of it but the logs still needed to be moved off the trail.

Apparently 5th horseman is a mess. I'm trying to organize a chainsaw party for this weekend to clean it up.

It still had crusty snow and a bunch of blowdown from the entrance to the powerlines/ lower entrance as of Saturday. From there down it was game on.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Feb. 14, 2013, 3:49 p.m.

The interior trails are going to be getting hit hard for the next decade or so. With all the beetle kill wood now in the grey with no needle stage, they'll be falling.

One of the reasons why the annual Cowtrail Classic in Merritt has been canceled the last few years.. Bummer

Feb. 14, 2013, 4:45 p.m.

It still had crusty snow and a bunch of blowdown from the entrance to the powerlines/ lower entrance as of Saturday. From there down it was game on.

So from the entrance to the climb needs clearing and everything else below is good?

Feb. 14, 2013, 5:31 p.m.

from the SSC thread:

my new method of bucking up blowdown but leaving it in spot for others to toss aside is working pretty good. annoying for the first guys down after me but it saves me time and gets me some help w the labor…:)

seems like the most reasonable way to cover large amounts of the mountain while sharing the workload around