biking is too effing expensive

July 1, 2003, 8:24 a.m.

another rip job….monster t crown, its as much as a fork for cryen out loud…..I think a while ago one was like over $450, then danger boy came along and my bro picked one up twice as beefy for 200 I think it was, ya really gotta shop are your paying big.

July 1, 2003, 8:47 a.m.

i thionk buying just forks is a rip cuz 2003 monsters at bike zone are almost 2 grand

ht pride

July 1, 2003, 8:54 a.m.

Originally posted by Surreyrider
i thionk buying just forks is a rip cuz 2003 monsters at bike zone are almost 2 grand

always can go to the US with the current exchange rate. they work out to about 1400cdn.

July 1, 2003, 9:15 a.m.

yea that dosn't , make it any cheeper probly more expencive

ht pride

July 1, 2003, 10:11 a.m.

bikings not expensive if you like biking so much you would know that every thing that you buy is to improve you and make it more fun. SO stop complaining about stupid prices. In the end its all worth the money.:)

ride on:banana:
team myself
[email protected]

July 1, 2003, 11:48 a.m.

biking is expensive if u pay retail :rolleyes:

superheros
I like bikes

July 1, 2003, 1:42 p.m.

Originally posted by "inshane"
biking is expensive if u pay retail :rolleyes:

Can you buy OEM bike parts?

July 1, 2003, 4:11 p.m.

Originally posted by math314
Can you buy OEM bike parts?

cant u?

July 1, 2003, 4:17 p.m.

bike shops charge what they do , because they can . it is up to you , the user ( buyer ) to shop around and find the best price , balance that against the service you receive versus on line shopping and make your decision . no one likes to see a shop go tits up , but in the end , the competition ( free market ) will decide who survives , and who switches to futon sales .
if your'e looking for cheap ( real cheap ) i know some shops down hastings way , where you can get a whole bike for fifty bucks .you get to haggle with some colorful characters , you know , spec it out with cooll stuff from their " parts " bin . any money you save , you can pick up some " product " from the local "vendors" for your next ride . as for the bike , well , it'll probably get you to the shore , but beyond that ……

July 1, 2003, 4:32 p.m.

yea. if your not paying wholesale its friggin expensive. like people think they are getting a sweet deal and are still paying up to and over 100% mark up on parts.

July 1, 2003, 7:21 p.m.

Originally posted by patrolskid
bike shops charge what they do , because they can . it is up to you , the user ( buyer ) to shop around and find the best price , balance that against the service you receive versus on line shopping and make your decision . no one likes to see a shop go tits up , but in the end , the competition ( free market ) will decide who survives , and who switches to futon sales .
if your'e looking for cheap ( real cheap ) i know some shops down hastings way , where you can get a whole bike for fifty bucks .you get to haggle with some colorful characters , you know , spec it out with cooll stuff from their " parts " bin . any money you save , you can pick up some " product " from the local "vendors" for your next ride . as for the bike , well , it'll probably get you to the shore , but beyond that ……

I disagree. Bikes shops don't just pick a price out of the air and hope you don't notice. All the supplier catalogs come with a suggested retail and most shops charge that ('cuz they have bigger bills than you think) and most will charge a bit less.

As for advocating buying stolen bikes, just remember what goes around comes around.

July 1, 2003, 7:39 p.m.

ya i agree alot of biking crap is so expensive but
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

:rolleyes: Less bitchin' more ridin', eh! :smokey:

July 1, 2003, 7:43 p.m.

speed metal : first paragraph paraphrased , caveat emptor ( let the buyer beware ) .
i support LBS , but am free to shop wisely . believe me , in whistler , i appreciate what the shops are up against .
second paragraph : light humor , ok ?

July 1, 2003, 10:08 p.m.

You think biking is too expensive. Try motion picture. Holly crap. My cam cost a little over $7000cnd. Tapes cost $44 for 40minutes. My fish eye is $1300. Last week I bought a mic that was a over a grand. Then you must consider the only way to edit is with a computer. So a professional turnkey system is close to $6000 before taxes, and without a nice monitor.

But yeah, I see people breaking their bikes, then having to pawn off their pads just to pay for the repairs. It's crazzy. For those of you still living at home, just think, half your monthly pay would go to your bike. The rest to the cost of living. That doesn't leave with much else. Nevertheless, when you have a working bike you don't need anything else.

July 1, 2003, 11:16 p.m.

Shop Smart.

My hardtail has cost me under $700 to build up. It works and takes some good abuse. Mind you I bought 3 of the parts on it for cost pricing (which, if you shop smartly you can find prices close to cost).