Bike Safes not so Safe

April 11, 2010, 9:54 p.m.

My brother's new Reign X1 was stolen from one of the bike lockers outside of the North Van MEC today, where he works. Second time he had ever put it in there. I can't even say this as well as the pics can show:

Apparently those 'Safe' lockers outside of MEC and at Skytrain stations etc…….Not so bloody safe.

As I said in the thread in the 'Stolen' forum, this is his first bike and he saved a long time on retail wages for it. Hadn't even had a chance to ride it except a few times over the Winter and we were both super stoked and making plans for the Summer. And this is a guy that attended more trail days than I did last year, without even having a bike to ride on the trails.

He's totally heartbroken over it, as am I, and now has a summer of having no ride to think about it.

I guess the moral of the story is don't put your faith in these apparently unbreakable bike lockers. I'd like not to see this happen to anyone else.

April 11, 2010, 9:58 p.m.

That's a terrible terrible story. Does the manufacturer of the locker provide any guarantee or insurance on it?

April 11, 2010, 10:03 p.m.

wow, was this during the day while he was at work or was it there overnight?

April 11, 2010, 10:06 p.m.

thats rough. i feel for ya…

April 11, 2010, 10:07 p.m.

wow, was this during the day while he was at work or was it there overnight?

It was apparently in the morning before the store had actually opened.

April 11, 2010, 10:08 p.m.

That's a terrible terrible story. Does the manufacturer of the locker provide any guarantee or insurance on it?

Don't know, but I plan to find out.

April 11, 2010, 10:09 p.m.

he posted the stolen ad earlier - sux to hear. mec doesnt allow employees to bring their bikes inside?

April 11, 2010, 10:11 p.m.

i dont get why they melted the plastic window

prybar on the lock area

and those things are made of what? fiberglass or some type of composite??

April 11, 2010, 10:14 p.m.

mec doesnt allow employees to bring their bikes inside?

I was just thinking this too! I've worked in office buildings where bikes could be brought into the office and yet MEC, which is an 'outdoor' store, doesn't accommodate for their employees' bikes to be brought inside?

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

April 11, 2010, 10:18 p.m.

Yeh looks like the door is made of some type of fiberglass, bad design right there,m but if it was steel, you would need a tractor to move it.
Shit wouldn;t anyone see someone prying that thing open like seriously???/ WTF!!! The mroe I read about this crap the more I want to start this bait bike thing and really lay a beating on these thieving fucks, such as this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-VY5cC2jk

April 11, 2010, 10:24 p.m.

i saw that damage when i was there this morning . . .

hey i feel for your brother , i really do , but it just goes to show you that pretty much any security device is no match for a motivated , well equipped thief with time to work .

lotta dirtbags cruise that strip behind the co-op next to the railway .

hope there is a happy ending to this story , like maybe the co-op has insurance for this kind of thing . they have done way past their due diligence installing those lockers , which should be looked upon favorably by an insurer .

April 12, 2010, 5:50 a.m.

Maximum Security
CycleSafe's bicycle lockers serve over 10 million users a year without ever having a reported theft. Our lockers installed over 30 years ago are still in use. We also engineer our products for convenience and security for the cyclist, with quality finishes and materials.

I'd be calling a lawyer right about now.

Pastor of Muppets

April 12, 2010, 6:14 a.m.

I'd be calling a lawyer right about now.

agreed. I'd be making all kinds of hell.

There's no place like fromme

April 12, 2010, 7:09 a.m.

The collective power of NSMB should be enough to get new ride from Bike Safe, approach them first and ask nice for compo………then if they don't play ball ask if the negative rep is worth the price of mountain bike or not. Then quote http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=132219 and http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=132210 and however many other news agencies you are affiliated with.

If i were them i would say crap……my container needs some beefing up and i want to appease this costumer to keep quiet till i can make some changes to "safe box"

2. get better bike + seasons tickets to Whistler

3. keep mouth shut and delete discriminating evidence from inter-web

4.win…….untill you need new bike next season and use saved info to blackmail for life time of bikes

5. WIN!!!!

April 12, 2010, 8:04 a.m.

That thing doesn't look very robust at all, and why the need for the window? To let the thieves know if the bike inside is worth stealing :rolleyes: