Bike Rescuer pleads guilty on 36 counts

Jan. 13, 2010, 8:52 a.m.

AS for the remaining 100+ bikes that the cops are still holding onto, what do you think that they are gonna do with them? hold them forever? nope - sell em. auction them off at over inflated prices. Cop auction gonna be a gong show this year no doubt.

Is it agreed that when stolen property is recovered from a thief that a public body of some sort should take possession of that stolem property and make all reasonable attempts to find the rightful owner and return the property?

I don't think it is that easy for police to determine ownership of a bicycle if the owner has not reported the loss including the serial number or some other identifiable feature. Many times the recovered property has already been replaced through insurance and the rightful owner, the insurer, has no interest in salvaging the property. many times the bikes are not high end either and again, no one cares to go to the trouble of reporting let alone trying to find an $500 bike.

If you have a private interest providing this service, they need to make a profit otherwise there is no point. The bike rescue thing stunk like an old pair of Shimano shoes from the beginning.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 13, 2010, 7:13 p.m.

Yeah that's a pretty poor attitude… and QUOTE]

if you actually care about this stuff u get stepped on and verbally assaulted by the NSMB bulletin board dweebs. I looked into Bikerescue more than anyone else on this board i bet - so screw your judgement of me.

as i said - i looked into this as much as i could. Initially i was stoked on what Gord was doing. He was "upfront" about his previous conviction when i first met him and left it at that. It appeared to me that this guy was trying to do something right for the bike community. I even spoke to a few other people he had returned bikes to. The whole idea of bike rescue worked for me…i got my bike back in 3 days. Shit…i even volunteered to wrench for him. This was over a year ago. Since that point in time, I have witnessed Gord in the DTES pickin up bikes on a regular basis- my doubts started to grow - He drives a big purple van that basically draws attention to him. I've seen the stuff that he fenced on Ebay (he actually used his real name) - and when i talked to him about it, he was sooo good at explaining himself to make it look like he was legit. He even said to me he knew the cops were coming for him and he had documented every single sale that he made, from origin to final sale. I guess he was putting on a show right up to the last minute. He had the appearance of being passionate about what he was doing. I believed it in the beginning (my liberal mind wanted to belive that this thing could work)…by the time he was arrested and I had seen even more of his actions - even after bike recue was closed - i was pretty sure he was bad news. I met him in his apartment once a couple weeks before he was arrested. He had about 15 sets of front forks, 20 laptops, cameras - all kinds of stuff that was being auctioned off on ebay. The excuses that he could come up with for having all that crap in his possesion were pretty amazing. That pretty much sealed it for me. I stopped talking to him after that visit. I woulda loved to have know what was said in the copper interview….like to know what anyone else out there did trying to find out more about bike rescue other than spamming threads.

AS for the remaining 100+ bikes that the cops are still holding onto, what do you think that they are gonna do with them? hold them forever? nope - sell em. auction them off at over inflated prices. Cop auction gonna be a gong show this year no doubt.

I don't necessarily share your overall perspective on this issue DP, however I think you do bring something good to this conversation that deserves some props. You show how people can get lead along by others - a lot of scams rely on people wanting to believe in a good thing even when the warning bells are going off. It's easy to judge this situation from a distance for those of us that didn't actually have contact with Gord. Kudos for being honest about being fooled by Gord and giving some context, a lot of people would be hesitant to admit they got suckered in. Even better that you saw the light.

Jan. 13, 2010, 9:13 p.m.

I approve of dubprof's posts.

Sometimes this board will jump on someone that doesn't share the opinion of the majority, so I'm happy he's stuck to his opinions and rightfully defended himself.

Jan. 13, 2010, 9:50 p.m.

Dubprof is posting out of self-interest. He cares/cared about Gord's operation to the extent that he got his own bike back out of it. Other then that, every one else who has had their bike stolen can basically eat a bag of dicks - or am I misquoting Dubprof?

So dubprof has self - interest to feed his own delusions.

What's your excuse Straw?

Jan. 13, 2010, 10:37 p.m.

Dubprof is posting out of self-interest. He cares/cared about Gord's operation to the extent that he got his own bike back out of it. Other then that, every one else who has had their bike stolen can basically eat a bag of dicks - or am I misquoting Dubprof?

So dubprof has self - interest to feed his own delusions.

What's your excuse Straw?

good grief lee. i met gord at the nsmba bike swap almost 3-4 years ago now, and i also thought he was legit. he may have had good intentions starting out, but i'd say IMO he lost those somewhere along the way. and no gord never helped me out, but you can check my post in one of the threads in the stolen forum for proof.

i know of another lbs in the lower mainland that used to unknowingly deal in stolen goods (also a bike swap) but he dropped that side of the biz once he figured it out.

ffs, the guy's been charged, he's in jail - i'd say the subject is done.

Jan. 13, 2010, 10:54 p.m.

Apparently a few balls missing from his headset. And it's an undersized 1 inch one at that.

Apparently the head spacing was set up by an over caffinated angry midget with the hives.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 13, 2010, 10:55 p.m.

You are aware this is Angry Lee, right?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:24 p.m.

good grief lee.

it's the part of me that can't resist making fun of illogical, poorly thought out justifications …. and you'll note that that comment was not directed at you j.

Jan. 13, 2010, 11:52 p.m.

it's the part of me that can't resist making fun of illogical, poorly thought out justifications …. and you'll note that that comment was not directed at you j.

wtf was poorly thought out and illogical about my justifications as you call them? yea i got my bike back, but if i didnt care about the chances being improved for other people to get their bike back i would have said squat.i thought this thing had potential to return more bikes…just cuz zomeone doesnt agree with you doesnt mean its illogical. Maybe the reason you fail to see the logic is due to your blinders being on? nm….i really shouldnt expect anything above bare minimum quality of converation when it comes to spam posts on the internet. just for that im gonna piss on all the dam ferns on my trail.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Jan. 14, 2010, 5:27 a.m.

wtf was poorly thought out and illogical about my justifications as you call them? yea i got my bike back, but if i didnt care about the chances being improved for other people to get their bike back i would have said squat.i thought this thing had potential to return more bikes…just cuz zomeone doesnt agree with you doesnt mean its illogical. Maybe the reason you fail to see the logic is due to your blinders being on? nm….i really shouldnt expect anything above bare minimum quality of converation when it comes to spam posts on the internet. just for that im gonna piss on all the dam ferns on my trail.

Be advised, Lee Lau is a lawyer. Even if you may be the slightest bit right, it his job to make you wrong and win. Give up while you still have blood.

awaits ensuing bloodshed

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 14, 2010, 10:23 a.m.

Be advised, Lee Lau is a lawyer. Even if you may be the slightest bit right, it his job to make you wrong and win. Give up while you still have blood.

awaits ensuing bloodshed

** cracks beer at 10:30am and sits back in chair to enjoy bloodshed.

Jan. 14, 2010, 12:46 p.m.

You were deluded about Gord. That's fine. Being a sucker in itself isn't that bad a thing. He sold you a bill of goods, you bought it.

You say you actually offered to volunteer to help him wrench on bikes so that you could help him in his venture.

But then you say don't give a tinkers damn about whether what he did was wrong or right as long as you get your bike back. Me, me, me.

Be a man and admit that you don't give a sack of bat shit about anyone else. That all you cared about was getting your own bike back. Don't get all weepy and hand-holdy and say you were trying to do the right thing. Because you don't care. You don't really give a crap and you stated so.

Feel free to rationalize out of this.

And don't worry about the ferns. They'll be around long after you and I are gone.

Jan. 14, 2010, 1:19 p.m.

lee, love it when you talk dirty.

Jan. 14, 2010, 1:22 p.m.

lee, love it when you talk dirty.

it must be raining in the mountains.

Jan. 14, 2010, 1:50 p.m.

You were deluded about Gord. That's fine. Being a sucker in itself isn't that bad a thing. He sold you a bill of goods, you bought it.

You say you actually offered to volunteer to help him wrench on bikes so that you could help him in his venture.

But then you say don't give a tinkers damn about whether what he did was wrong or right as long as you get your bike back. Me, me, me.

Be a man and admit that you don't give a sack of bat shit about anyone else. That all you cared about was getting your own bike back. Don't get all weepy and hand-holdy and say you were trying to do the right thing. Because you don't care. You don't really give a crap and you stated so.

Feel free to rationalize out of this.

And don't worry about the ferns. They'll be around long after you and I are gone.

Wtf is your problem? You get a kick out of folggin a dead horse or what? The line you refer to which sums up my "attitude" was "In the end, i dont really give a shit" or something to that extent. All being said and done, i got hosed by Gord into believeing in what he did, I got my bike back (whcih people somehow justify as a bad thing - i have no clue how they come to that conlcusion) and he went to jail. Yea i really dont give a shit about it now that its all out in the open. Its called moving on. I already stated that in the beginning (note the difference between beginning and end) i was stoked on what Gord was doing, offered to help, defended his "bike rescue" model as a good beginning point as a way of returning more stolen bikes in vancouver (how this translates into self serving im not sure). People are free to think and express their opinions and argues them in a meaningful way . Thats all i did. I argued for something that i believed in the beginning was more right than wrong - probably because it worked so well for me - . Wtf did you do about this? Nothin it seems but spam off grupmy shit and accuse me of being self-serving - which is about as far from the truth as you can get if you take time to read the whole thread, this one and the other thread which started a few months ago. Talk about cueing in on one point and hammering it into oblivion. Cant see the forest for hte trees or something like that. I dont have to rationalize any of it. Its the way it went down. If you dont want to see it that way, fine. BUT DONT FUCKIN ACCUSE ME OF BEING SELF SERVING. I would like to think you are above that. I do way more for the mountain bike community than you will ever know.

I'm ignoring Smedley.