bike insurance - any suggestions?

June 26, 2003, 11:10 p.m.

Mulletron, I went through Dominion when our house got broke into last November and they were great. The adjuster knew some guys that ride the shore all the time so when I told him how much my bike was worth, he totally understood. Some other places think you're friggin' nuts to own a bike worth 4g's.

June 27, 2003, 7:30 a.m.

Originally posted by /v\ark
**Here's a moral question for ya Mulletron.

When you're getting your biked quoted at a shop, do you accept retail value of total parts? or price paid?
For instance, I bought a dee-max wheelset for $600. Retail was over $1800………
or i've got a easton mg 60 dh stem. Retail is around $250 while I paid $90.

You've got to get the price so that you are covered at whatever it would cost you to replace your bike. Just because you got a bro deal the first time around doesn't mean you will the second time. Insurance is meant to pay you money so you can replace the thing that was stolen/burnt/run over etc.

So there's nothing wrong or unethical about getting quoted the retail price on the bike because there's always the chance thats the price you'll get quoted.

June 27, 2003, 9:31 p.m.

my bike insurance is $100 for 2700 worth. That covers theft or any breakage. compeletly separate from home insurance.

June 28, 2003, 8:09 p.m.

Originally posted by /v\ark
**Here's a moral question for ya Mulletron.

When you're getting your biked quoted at a shop, do you accept retail value of total parts? or price paid?
For instance, I bought a dee-max wheelset for $600. Retail was over $1800………
or i've got a easton mg 60 dh stem. Retail is around $250 while I paid $90.

I could have my bike insured for close to $7000, if going by total of retail values. I didn't pay close to that.

You need two shops for a quote and I know two that would very easily sign my bike off for the total retail value……….

Speaking of which, I should get some insurance one of these days

yeah, leelau's right. the insurance is "replacement value". my quotes are retail. currently, that's over 8K for my bike with taxes. and while i got it for under half, i have to insure it for replacement value, even tho it costs me a lot more.