bigger wooden structures?

March 11, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

The last bit you wrote may be true for your circle of friends, but there is still a younger crowd out there looking to huck. Go stand in a whistler line-up and look around you. The crowds there aren't getting any smaller. The shore is becoming an old-folks retirement home of trail riding.

They like to huck and they like tabletops and jumps - the bigger, the better … but they tend to not like skinnies … (my experience riding with my teenage kid and his buddies).

March 11, 2014, 10:46 a.m.

No one hates wood structures.

Speak for yourself :)

There's exceptions, but I rarely see wood without thinking it would be better if it was on fire.

March 11, 2014, 11 a.m.

They like to huck and they like tabletops and jumps - the bigger, the better … but they tend to not like skinnies … (my experience riding with my teenage kid and his buddies).

It seems like those of us that came up when skinnies were the state of the art still have some limited interest in riding them. But imagine for those who came up in the bike park riding A-Line on a long slack DH bike? Skinnies must seem like a struggle, superfluous and the opposite of flowy.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 11, 2014, 11:11 a.m.

You cant dumb down the Shore with wood. That's silly!
This thread is a desperate attempt to stir shit. Wood is dead. On the North Shore.
Oh by the way fantastic work on the huge elaborate wood structure that was rebuilt on Pipe line. Thank you!
And the fresh wood work on Natural high. Solid construction. Again thank you.
Oh yeah the wood bridge work done by NSMBA on Bridal path. To keep our tires out of the swamp. Thank you.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

March 11, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

It seems like those of us that came up when skinnies were the state of the art still have some limited interest in riding them. But imagine for those who came up in the bike park riding A-Line on a long slack DH bike? Skinnies must seem like a struggle, superfluous and the opposite of flowy.

They hate Fatcrobat … haters!

March 11, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

They hate Fatcrobat … haters!

Fatcrobat is awesome in between the wood bits. I always joked that I was going to come up and set fire to the log at the end, but thankfully they alleviated that problem.

March 11, 2014, 6:35 p.m.

Fatcrobat is awesome in between the wood bits. I always joked that I was going to come up and set fire to the log at the end, but thankfully they alleviated that problem.

And much faster than the circus clowns on your right;)

March 11, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

Ha yeah, the dirt line on the left on FB is probably my bestist trail on the mountain. UK DH stylee.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 11, 2014, 7:39 p.m.

Funny I love the wood on fatcrobat.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

March 11, 2014, 9:11 p.m.

Funny I love the wood on fatcrobat.

yeah, it's a pretty tame line by olden days standards. pretty wide, fairly low, can be hit relatively fast. limited consequences - which i'm totally ok with. no interest in ever revisiting the fall-off-and-you-will-get-broken Structures of Consequence. still feel there's a place for well integrated wood that makes sense, however - i.e, digger's handiwork.

April 7, 2014, 2:16 p.m.

It's true for the aggregate of all riders. Looking at the percentage who want stunts, it's a very small amount. Put in perspective: If 1% of riders wanted stunts, then 1% of trails should reflect that, and that isn't much trail. I think that larger wooden features are best left to the bike parks where they will be properly maintained, examined etc.

except for the fact that whistler is cutting back on wood structures….but when you have access to Bobcats and piles of dirt, i'd probably skip the wood too.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 7, 2014, 4:53 p.m.

I'm not much into techy awkward skinnies and steep down ramps with terrible roll-outs any more but if a trail has some nice ramp that flows well between dirt I think that's a great thing. I like the idea of meshing the shit out of any bridge or log ride I build now so a rider can carry full speed on it without any concerns.

April 7, 2014, 4:55 p.m.

except for the fact that whistler is cutting back on wood structures….but when you have access to Bobcats and piles of dirt, i'd probably skip the wood too.

How much woodwork gets mangled being buried under a metic shit ton of snow for half the year?

But yeah, the bobcat and dirt option is great

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 5, 2014, 3:12 p.m.

"The shore is becoming an old-folks retirement home of trail riding."
Not sure I'd agree with that…

Seems to be plenty of woodwork still on the shore. Maybe not too many skinnies (thankfully), but I've seen plenty of new (and fun) woodwork on Expresso and some not so new on Crinkum/Kirkford.

I can totally understand that some people might be getting a little upset if some of their favorite trails are becoming more accessible, but there are still a lot of very difficult trails on the shore. I personally LOVE the new trail work. I'm really enjoying the trails that have been worked on. And guess what? Now that I've gained confidence on these trails, I'm starting to have a go on the more difficult trails.

Do you think Whistler would thrive if it only had black diamond runs? No way. Look at the new Symphony area - mainly blue runs. You need to have a mix of trails if the sport is to thrive and not be "exclusive" to advanced riders. You also need to offer a progression from green to blue to black. Before, it used to be "ok I'll throw myself down this trail and hopefully not get hurt, and one day I might be able to ride it properly"

May 5, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

Didn't realise that the thread is still going…
I am not at all a fan of skinnies, and usually fall off after a few metres… I was thinking about the stuff you find on upper sex girl or what used to be on lola…