"Bicyclists need to stay on sidewalk"

June 16, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

driving 60 km!!! to and from work each day is ridiculous. Get a job where you live, and don't try that lameass excuse that there aren't any. BS!!

Well, my commute is 53 km round trip (North Burnaby to UBC). Believe me there aren't many cryogenics engineering jobs to pick and choose so I suck it up and head out there 5 days a week. On the other hand, Penny has a short commute up and down burnaby mtn. She has a nice commute where she can ride trails all the way up and down and I have to go straight across the city.

Just because your job is portable doesn't mean that others have that same luxury.

Anyways, time to go home. Should be a good ride. It's not too hot and I have a bit of a tailwind.

June 16, 2009, 6:56 p.m.

Well, my commute is 53 km round trip (North Burnaby to UBC). Believe me there aren't many cryogenics engineering jobs to pick and choose so I suck it up and head out there 5 days a week. On the other hand, Penny has a short commute up and down burnaby mtn. She has a nice commute where she can ride trails all the way up and down and I have to go straight across the city.

Just because your job is portable doesn't mean that others have that same luxury.

Anyways, time to go home. Should be a good ride. It's not too hot and I have a bit of a tailwind.

Hey, I'm not saying everyone can live close to their job of choice, I'm just sayin that it's crazy to drive that far every day to work. I would never do it. To each his own.

sanrensho "Lots of aggro there, I suggest going for a bike ride to let go of some of that stress. " haha
It's neat the way you can take something out of context and make it seem like something else. Really??? A peloton on an open public road?? Defend it if you must.

:canada: :swiss:

June 16, 2009, 11:34 p.m.

sanrensho "Lots of aggro there, I suggest going for a bike ride to let go of some of that stress. " haha
It's neat the way you can take something out of context and make it seem like something else. Really??? A peloton on an open public road?? Defend it if you must.

I'm not defending it, but I question the need to lean on the horn and verbally make comments at cyclists. Anyway, the guys riding two or three abreast in those situations are just putting themselves at risk, as far as I'm concerned.

We should all just chill out as drivers, there is too much aggression in general on the roads.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 17, 2009, 6:49 a.m.

just like to remind everyone out there that the cyclist has the RIGHT to the ENTIRE lane if he or she so deems it necessary .

they are expected to travel as far to the right as road conditions allow but if for whatever reasons , be it gravel , glass manhole covers , drainage grates , parked cars ( door prize ! ) speed , no shoulder , passing other riders . . . they are just like you in your car . they have just chosen to use a different mode of transportation . just like a '72 toyota can't / doesn't go as fast as an '09 subaru WRX the toyota still has the right to use the road .

having said that , they are expected to behave in consideration of other users , meaning properly equipped , signalling or otherwise indicating your intentions to other drivers and operating in a responsible manner and just like vehicle drivers , there are good ones , some not so good , and some downright lousy .

i ride and commute a lot by bicycle , and given the choice , i'll take the bike lanes or designated routes where it is easiest and safest ( not necessarily the most efficient route ) if it means i can be separate from vehicles , but at some point , to get where you are going you will need to interact with traffic. at that point , i use a combination of accepted road rules and the " minimize your exposure ' school of thought . that means being absolutely aware of your surroundings at all times , and doing what you have to to get to your destination safely without putting others in danger either .

just remember that is another human being out there on that bike , and while it mat be frustrating at times , they are just trying to get somewhere too , just like you :lol:

June 17, 2009, 8:43 a.m.

i ride and commute a lot by bicycle , and given the choice , i'll take the bike lanes or designated routes where it is easiest and safest ( not necessarily the most efficient route ) if it means i can be separate from vehicles , but at some point , to get where you are going you will need to interact with traffic. at that point , i use a combination of accepted road rules and the " minimize your exposure ' school of thought . that means being absolutely aware of your surroundings at all times , and doing what you have to to get to your destination safely without putting others in danger either .

Exactly. Much as I like it here, I do think that the population of Vancouver should have to take a 'common sense' test before they are allowed to leave the house. Maybe coming from an overcrowded country (UK) teaches you that you cannot simply wander around in a daze and expect to survive. Also, the selfishness and ignorance on the roads is mindblowing. Just look at what happens on a main highway when another road filters in….everyone grinds to a halt because they are too fucking retarded to realize that slowing down by 1kph to allow someone to pull in front of you will allow the traffic as a whole to flow better. God forbid that you might have to chance lanes in order to let someone in!!!11!LOLZETC….
Pedestrians walk around like zombies and cyclists ride along as if they are being chased by Charles Manson but without the skillz to back it up. But hey, you are wearing a yellow jacket and a front reflector facing backwards 'to confuse motorists' so that's fine.

So IMHO all this would be a pointless argument if everyone just looked where the fuck they are going and considered everyone around them, and if they don't realize how lucky they are with the transport system here they should fuck off somewhere else.

Right, it's time to do the first half of my 25km round trip on my BMX cruiser while rolling my eyes at the city.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 17, 2009, 9:11 a.m.

I think it's great that so many people commute on bikes, and as I said, I try to give riders as much room as possible and take extra care when having to drive beside a cyclist in a tight situation. I think it is ignorant of the few cyclists who feel like they should ride side by side. If they are also bound by the rules of the road, they should always ride single file, the same way cars don't drive side by side on single lane roads, unless they are roadracing twats.

:canada: :swiss:

June 17, 2009, 9:15 a.m.

driving 60 km!!! to and from work each day is ridiculous. Get a job where you live, and don't try that lameass excuse that there aren't any. BS!! Anyway, that wasn't my point. This thread has been derailed, but I would like to say that I give road riders as much room as I can when driving, but one thing I absolutely cannot tolerate is when they ride in a peloton, 3 or 4 abreast on a 2 lane (or ANY) public road that is not closed for a race. What the hell are you thinking? I reserve the right to honk my horn at these cretins, once I have passed them. Sometimes we verbally let them know that the Tour de France doesn't actually happen here in the lower mainland. Other than that, when driving, just expect the unexpected from cyclists and drive accordingly.

Not sure if he was saying 60KM each way or round trip. If it is 60KM each way then I agree that is a long commute.

If it is only 60km total, well then it ain't no thing to commute by bike 30km each way.

I do 60km on my bike 5 days a week, and have been now for almost 7 years.

June 17, 2009, 10:40 a.m.

i'm not trying to make this about who has the longer uglier commute , and i'm sure more people would like to commute by bike ( even some of the time ) if it fit with their lives better .

i can make my commute as short as 5 km or 15-20 minutes one way , but i find that i like to spend more time on the bike both before and after work so i usually string it out around rhe valley to make it more like 12 - 15 km and 45 minutes .

of course , then i get on a bike at work and ride most of the day :lol:

June 17, 2009, 10:48 a.m.

i dont ride my bike to work. dont really feel like getting killed by a logging truck

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 17, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

I think it's great that so many people commute on bikes, and as I said, I try to give riders as much room as possible and take extra care when having to drive beside a cyclist in a tight situation. I think it is ignorant of the few cyclists who feel like they should ride side by side. If they are also bound by the rules of the road, they should always ride single file, the same way cars don't drive side by side on single lane roads, unless they are roadracing twats.

And like you have any less of an attitude problem then anyone else?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 17, 2009, 11:51 a.m.

I think it is ignorant of the few cyclists who feel like they should ride side by side. If they are also bound by the rules of the road, they should always ride single file, the same way cars don't drive side by side on single lane roads, unless they are roadracing twats.

I think it is ignorant of the MANY drivers who fail to yield right of way to other cars, speed through school zones, practice aggro driving such as tailgating, dart in and out of traffic unnecessarily, feel the need to lean on the horn not for safety reasons but for letting their own feelings be known ("how dare you do that to me, me, ME"), purposely cut off other drivers for perceived transgressions against them, talk on phone while driving, etc. ad nauseum.

I see this stuff EVERY TIME I drive, but not so much cyclists riding two abreast.

My point being that cyclists riding two abreast are pretty low on the totem pole of road transgressions. There are a lot more sources of stress during a typical drive, including for me the very fact that I have to sit in a car instead of being on a bike.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 17, 2009, 12:51 p.m.

Actually my drive is all highway and it's 35 minutes each way. Not too bad. Gives me a chance to listen to music and relax. And I drive a hybrid. So it could be much worse. Love where I live. Job is ok, I might change but in my line of work I've got a pretty long commute any way you slice it.

Thanks for being so judgemental you bunch of selfish turkey giblets! Make it snappy with my espresso next time I'm at your place of work. Haha.
;)

Wrong. Always.

June 17, 2009, 2:54 p.m.

Ok, so I'm considering biking/skytrain for my commute sometimes. I could use my hardtail mountain bike with some semi-slicks I've got lying around. But I wouldn't mind a more specific commuter bike with 700c wheels. Something fast, rugged, low maintenance. Also something that's not a total theft magnet as I'd be on the skytrain Surrey King George and am not too keen on being mugged of my bike haha.

Ideas so far: geared commuter bike like Kona Dew series. Or maybe even a singlespeed like a Kona Paddy Wagon or Bianchi Pista but there are enough hills on my commute to the skytrain that would make it somewhat painful.

Wrong. Always.

June 17, 2009, 3:18 p.m.

Ideas so far: geared commuter bike like Kona Dew series. Or maybe even a singlespeed like a Kona Paddy Wagon or Bianchi Pista but there are enough hills on my commute to the skytrain that would make it somewhat painful.

Bingo, I was going to recommend a Kona Dew as well.

June 17, 2009, 3:43 p.m.

Bingo, I was going to recommend a Kona Dew as well.

The only thing that turns me off about the Dew is that I think I'd prefer a steel frame to soften up the ride a bit. Oh, and it doesn't look "retro" enough for my tastes haha.

I like the Kona Honky Tonk in blue though. It's steel and retro. :fro: Sweet ride. I'm not a fan of drop bars though and would probably switch them out for something else though. Probably flat bars and bar ends. But some of those exotic j-bars, h-bars, mary bars look like they might be comfy on a long ride.

The Surly Cross Check looks cool too but now I'm really blowing the budget/baiting the crackheads.
:nerd:

Wrong. Always.