"Bicyclists need to stay on sidewalk"

May 4, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

Question?

On the right hand lane of some of the roads in Vancouver, Main Street being one of them, there is a lane with the Chevron and a Bicycle painted on the road. I am assuming that it means it is bus lane, carpool lane and a bike lane?

I almost got run over by a guy in a van… plumber or something on the side, as he didn't like that I was riding there. He was the lone person in the van and was using it to skip past all the traffic from 10th all the way to 14th where he turned right after cursing me and telling me to get off the road or else he was going to run me over.

I can't believe how mad he was… face red, spitting when he was yelling… I just stood there. As the sun was out, it was friday…

He gained what 2 minutes?

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

May 4, 2009, 11:56 a.m.

Off-broadway bike route sucks. It is too narrow with too many parked cars. Broadway on the bike for me is faster and safer.

If you are scared of traffic (and lots of bike commuters are) and just cruising along then the Off-broadway is probably better. For me, I'll be the one passing all the cars in the bus/bike lane.

That is crap, Dave. Look up CVG project and get back to me on fast, safe riding.

My comment was from the perspective of a driver not a bicyclist, so my concern was for YOUR safety. You'd have to be a real idiot to take a busy Broadway with cars changing lanes and on the East Broadway there is no "bus" lane, all three lanes are open for traffic. Most will use the right lane as a passing lane and usually drive 70+ km/hr. Every time I see some poor bastard huffing and puffing to make that 45km/hr mark while having cars come dangerously close to him, I feel bad because I can only assume the poor bastard never did any research on better cycling routes.

Seriously, Central Valley Greenway - runs parallel.
Why the hell would you want to be a hero on E Broadway?

May 4, 2009, 11:59 a.m.

Question?

On the right hand lane of some of the roads in Vancouver, Main Street being one of them, there is a lane with the Chevron and a Bicycle painted on the road. I am assuming that it means it is bus lane, carpool lane and a bike lane?

I almost got run over by a guy in a van… plumber or something on the side, as he didn't like that I was riding there. He was the lone person in the van and was using it to skip past all the traffic from 10th all the way to 14th where he turned right after cursing me and telling me to get off the road or else he was going to run me over.

I can't believe how mad he was… face red, spitting when he was yelling… I just stood there. As the sun was out, it was friday…

He gained what 2 minutes?

Dan

Sorry to hear that. Seems like some drivers either don't know, or don't care that they are supposed to share the road with us.

May 4, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

Question?

Dan

That sounds like a "sharrow (sp?)". The idea with them is that they make it clear to drivers that bicycles can be expected there, and help cyclists know where it is safe and legal for them to ride. Apparently it's away of avoiding a bunch of the problems associated with separate bike lanes, while providing many of the benefits.

May 4, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

My comment was from the perspective of a driver not a bicyclist, so my concern was for YOUR safety. You'd have to be a real idiot to take a busy Broadway with cars changing lanes and on the East Broadway there is no "bus" lane, all three lanes are open for traffic. Most will use the right lane as a passing lane and usually drive 70+ km/hr.

Seriously, Central Valley Greenway - runs parallel.
Why the hell would you want to be a hero on E Broadway?

I've known about the CVG for a while. I just feel that me zipping along at 30-40 kph on a bike does not mix well with dog walkers, joggers, pedestrians and slower cyclists. I find that cars are much more predictable and easier to deal with (they don't flit sideways as quickly).

Yes the section between Commercial and Boundary is less than ideal, but it really isn't as bad as you make it sound. I'm no hero. I just don't want to run over or even just startle some poor pedestrian as I pass them along the greenway.

Just because you are uncomfortable with a cyclist on Broadway does not mean that the cyclist is feeling your pain.

May 4, 2009, 1:35 p.m.

To say it how it is Dave, it sounds like you only know of CVG theoretically. It is not filled with joggers and strollers, far from it, most of the time it is quite empty. I rode it a little over a dozen times this season and so far it has been a blast! And E Broadway is indeed as bad as I make it sound, during traffic rush the right lane does become a "passing" lane and during other hours there are cars parked. Apart from the possibility of flying over someone's door when they open open it without looking, it is still a lot more dangerous having to merge etc. and not a heck of a lot faster than CVG (if faster at all, as CVG is less hilly).

With most sincere astonishment, I still wonder why would anyone stick to E Broadway… unless you never knew there was an alternative. ;)

May 5, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

I almost got run over by a guy in a van… plumber or something on the side,

you need some plumbing work done right? Make an appointment. You live in White Rock, right, or was it Chilliwack?

those guys crack me up, advertising which business to NOT use

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 5, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

haha this thread is too funny.

I rip down hastings, broadway, 2nd, cambie, every busy street. If you're not adept enough to look in parked cars for drivers getting ready to door you, or if you're unable to keep yourself in a safe buffer zone around moving vehicles while keeping multiple exit routes in mind at all times…. Ride the god damn bike paths, 7th, 10th, adanac etc.

Then again… I got hit on the bike path by some bitch in her suv doing a sudden uturn in the middle an intersection with no warning…

[HTML_REMOVED]-Exbikecourier

May 6, 2009, 9:44 a.m.

What an absolute ass.

Bikes are more deserving of road space than cars - especially those carrying one passenger.

Respect the bicycle.

May 6, 2009, 9:47 a.m.

Here's a serious question for ppl who ride with traffic:

Would we be safer if the speed limit was lowered to 30 Km/H?

I think the answer is yes, and feel that by lowering speed limits in urban areas we would eliminate the need for bike lanes, and reduce emissions.

Also, I think photo radar should be brought back and used to enforce the speed limits actively.

May 6, 2009, 12:23 p.m.

^^ safer for cyclists sure, but I'm not sure about emissions. Its true that most drivers pin it to 60 even when they can see a red light 2 block away, but 30kph is really really slow. Certainly not an efficient speed for a car, and if it causes bigger backups and more idling, then it could cause more emissions. I'd rather see routes where cars can flow through all the lights at a certain speed, and have that speed posted clearly.

I don't have a problem with a car passing at 50-60, the risk of injury seems to be at intersections where cars look for other cars and not cyclists

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 6, 2009, 12:32 p.m.

What I am thinking with the speed limit thing is that cyclists can ride with traffic, in the lane, and comply with rules of the road. Intersections become WAY safer when you take the lane.

The majority of serious commuters can keep up with traffic when it's going 30 km/h, even on shallow grades. Someone suggested licensing commuter cyclists and their bikes, which I think is a good idea as well. Maybe we could get insurance thru ICBC for a nominal fee which would clean up the issues surrounding injuries that occur now due to the legal gray areas surrounding bikes on the roads.

As for the emissions, it's the drivers pinning it to make it to the next light that I am thinking of. If they could only go 30 I doubt they would bother pinning it. And for that matter, if they could only go 30 downtown, prolly a lot of them would leave their cars behind and bus/skytrain/walk/cycle.

May 6, 2009, 12:44 p.m.

Also, I think photo radar should be brought back and used to enforce the speed limits actively.

Down here in the US, in Arizona, they have started using Photo Radar on the freeways and main roads. Both stationary camera's and camera vans.

The only downside I see to them…is that people go 20 or 30mph over the speed limit, then when they see the camera's, they slam on their brakes - I've seen lots of near-accidents from this.

They have brought the general speed down though, which is a positive.

As for the article, I try to avoid the main drags around my neighborhood, simply because, in an effort to combat congestion, they've attempted to add more lanes without widening the roads - so the lanes are super narrow. People regularly do 50mph all the time…suicide to try to ride in the road - and the sidewalks are narrow death traps. I've had plenty of people yell at me and tell me to "get on the sidewalk".

So I ride in traffic most of the time - I use the turn lanes and will assert myself on the road if necessary. I learned the hard way that if you ride scared in traffic and on the sidewalks, you are in far more danger - I got hit when I used a crosswalk instead of being smart and using the center turn lane to cross an intersection. Never will I do that again…

whoa, that went longer than intended!

May 6, 2009, 1:34 p.m.

I would say that separation not lower speed limit is the key to safety.

On my drive in the morning today I saw a lady on a crappy walmart bike on E Broadway going slower than I walk but blocking the right lane. And that is just today.

Chances are she would be better off on cvg.

Having speed limit at 30 is selfish and ridiculous. Most people drive to work not ride a bike. Cyclists are a minority. And pollution will be higher if I drove in my second gear all the way!

May 6, 2009, 1:58 p.m.

I would say that separation not lower speed limit is the key to safety.

On my drive in the morning today I saw a lady on a crappy walmart bike on E Broadway going slower than I walk but blocking the right lane. And that is just today.

Chances are she would be better off on cvg.

Having speed limit at 30 is selfish and ridiculous. Most people drive to work not ride a bike. Cyclists are a minority. And pollution will be higher if I drove in my second gear all the way!

If you want to discuss selfishness, driving your car to work every day is mighty damn selfish, son.

The 30 km/h speed limit is intended only in the downtown core. Not the rest of the city. That said, maybe you live and work downtown, and drive to work every day. If so, there is no helping you.